XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Wind Screen Deflector for my 2006 XKR?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered one from Welsh. I should have mine Friday, will post how the installation goes.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Got mine yesterday. Opened it up today, all parts there. Tomorrow I will install.
For those who have installed the Welsh kit, there are 4 bolts, 4 metal washers, and 4 plastic washers.
Where did you use the plastic washers? My gut says under the head of the bolt (and metal washers by the nut).

Last edited by mapatton; 09-21-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
George--let me know what you figure out once you get yours installed. Basically the it is the position of the smaller of the two pieces that determines the position of the larger (vertical) piece. The smaller piece is horizontal and ends up against the fronts of the rear seats. The larger piece rotates back and stops by bearing against the horizontal piece. In my case the end result is a slight rearwards tilt of the vertical piece.

I can probably lock this into a vertical position by really tightening the ny-lock bolts but then that would prohibit being able to swing the vertical piece downwards when the top was up. Here is the post where I have some pictures so you can see what I mean--see post #13 in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...flector-61784/

Doug
Haven't installed it yet, but in playing with it and in looking at the pictures, the horizontal piece is not horizontal, but instead slightly upwards. This would allow the vertical piece to be more truly vertical without soley relying on the nuts. Look at Gus's pics.

So without having installed it yet, I would suggest taking advantage of the slots in the angle brackets, and having the whole assembly as far back as possible.

This would create more upward incline on the lower unit, causing the upper unit to lay back less.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mounted mine 2 weeks ago, and it does stand straight. Did you properly tighten the bolts on each side? Here are some pics:
Name:  IMG_8290_zpsbb7d12fc.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  183.3 KB
Name:  IMG_8292_zps5677af07.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  125.9 KB

BTW, instructions are here: http://www.welshent.com/guides/pdf/x...structions.pdf . Also useful to know that what the instructions call driver side is the right side :-)

On this note, did you guys notice that there is a speaker on the leather mounting on the right side, but not on the left side? Would make sense to have it on the left for us yankees...

Last edited by fredXKR2006; 09-22-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added pics
The following 2 users liked this post by fredXKR2006:
Utrider (09-23-2012), wcnesta (09-23-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by fredXKR2006
Mounted mine 2 weeks ago, and it does stand straight. Did you properly tighten the bolts on each side? Here are some pics:

On this note, did you guys notice that there is a speaker on the leather mounting on the right side, but not on the left side?
Not a speaker, but a sensor for the air bag

Last edited by mapatton; 09-24-2012 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (09-23-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Got mine installed today, not road-tested yet bu I feel good about it.

The answer to the Q I posed about the plastic washers is, you use them on the lower threaded portion of the upright deflector.
The are place as such:
L sleeve/bracket > plastic washer > lower angle bracket > plastic washer > Nylock nut.

This allows you to be able to tighten those nuts enough so you can have the upper vertical defector vertical (not relying on the lower deflector) while still allowing for movement as needed.

Seismic, I think this is the answer to your Q.

PS: Yes I did test fit the upper bracket, but I was 99% sure of where to place it.

I simply cut a piece of paper that matched the pre-drilled side. (No I didn;t get the cut off corner, all I needed was the back and inside edge).
Noted the holes on the predrilled side.

Now simply flip over and overlay on the non-predrilled side and mark.

Worked like a dream.

wcnesta (09-23-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 PM

I see that another came to the same conclusion in another thread today.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mapatton
Got mine installed today, not road-tested yet bu I feel good about it.

The answer to the Q I posed about the plastic washers is, you use them on the lower threaded portion of the upright deflector.
The are place as such:
L sleeve/bracket > plastic washer > lower angle bracket > plastic washer > Nylock nut.

This allows you to be able to tighten those nuts enough so you can have the upper vertical defector vertical (not relying on the lower deflector) while still allowing for movement as needed.

Seismic, I think this is the answer to your Q.

PS: Yes I did test fit the upper bracket, but I was 99% sure of where to place it.

I simply cut a piece of paper that matched the pre-drilled side. (No I didn;t get the cut off corner, all I needed was the back and inside edge).
Noted the holes on the predrilled side.

Now simply flip over and overlay on the non-predrilled side and mark.

Worked like a dream.
You know I think I only had two plastic washers and it sounds like you had 4. I will take a quick look tomorrow. I wonder if it is possible to buy plastic washers like that at any hardware store.

Doug

Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM

I would think so. And yes there were 4. They seemed to be a plastic/nylon like in their nature. Nothing too special about them.

Oh road tested it today. Very happy with the results. My wife was even happier.

Now if I was 2 inches shorter (6' 3"), that would be better as I do get some front wind.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Mark--your install looks good and the larger piece is exactly vertical but basically the parts and pieces look virtually identical to mine. So here is my question. What exactly prevents the larger piece from moving backwards out of vertical? Is it just that you tightened the heck out of the nylock nuts or is it the position of the smaller horizontal piece or does the horizontal piece also block movement past vertical? With mine I did not tighten the nuts past snug since I wanted to be able to easily swivel the piece down when not in use. Is that my problem--that I need to really crank down the nylock nuts way past snug?

Doug

Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Mark--your install looks good and the larger piece is exactly vertical but basically the parts and pieces look virtually identical to mine. So here is my question. What exactly prevents the larger piece from moving backwards out of vertical? Is it just that you tightened the heck out of the nylock nuts or is it the position of the smaller horizontal piece or does the horizontal piece also block movement past vertical? With mine I did not tighten the nuts past snug since I wanted to be able to easily swivel the piece down when not in use. Is that my problem--that I need to really crank down the nylock nuts way past snug?

Doug
Not my pic, I messed up a quoted response (will see about fixing).
The upper unit remains vertical soley based upon the tightness of the nylock nuts. It does not rely on the lower unit.

I originally did a test fit without those plastic/nylon washers. Had to crank down too hard to have it remain vertical as it would not allow it to pivot down if desired.

Figured out those 4 plastic/nylow washers go on the upper unit. I detailed their placing in an earlier post. You do snug up the nylock nut, but with those washers, it does allow you to pivot the upper part if desired.
And it remains vertical with no issue at 70mph. Tested it yesterday

Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a speaker, but a sensor for the air bag
Really? Always thought the sensor was in the seat! Spent the day yesterday in wine country with my wife and every time she'd move on the seat to seat on her legs, the airbag light on the dash would turn on. What does the sensor in the leather mounting sense?

Last edited by fredXKR2006; 09-24-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Not my pic, I messed up a quoted response (will see about fixing).
The upper unit remains vertical soley based upon the tightness of the nylock nuts. It does not rely on the lower unit.

I originally did a test fit without those plastic/nylon washers. Had to crank down too hard to have it remain vertical as it would not allow it to pivot down if desired.

Figured out those 4 plastic/nylow washers go on the upper unit. I detailed their placing in an earlier post. You do snug up the nylock nut, but with those washers, it does allow you to pivot the upper part if desired.
And it remains vertical with no issue at 70mph. Tested it yesterday

Mine only came with 2 nylon washers and I had to keep guessing as to which side of the sleeve-with-peg piece they went on. Having 4 washers does make more sense. For one thing I was wondering why the threaded stud to which the nylock attaches extends too far beyond the nylock thus making it difficult to keep the plastic finishing caps on. Adding another washer on each end would correct this.

I contacted Welsh to see exactly what was supposed to be included in the hardware kit.

Doug

Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by fredXKR2006
Really? Always thought the sensor was in the seat! Spent the day yesterday in wine country with my wife and every time she'd move on the seat to seat on her legs, the airbag light on the dash would turn on. What does the sensor in the leather mounting sense?
Tell me and we will both know
No honestly, here is a thread on it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hatisit-68989/

Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM

We were out riding around with the top down yesterday and what a difference with the deflector installed. There was very little wind blowing in the cabin area. I did have the rear windows up.(ref. Rev Sam's rear window fix). Later that evening when we were on our way home the temperature dropped down to 52 degrees, but with the heater running it was still comfortable driving. The deflector kept most of the hot air from the vents in the cabin area. I installed mine like Rev Sam did with the deflector about 3 inches lower by reversing the brackets so that I had the nylon nuts under the knobs. I like the looks of this install and it still worked great. I am very happy with the Welsh unit and would recommend it to any of our members. The pictures posted by Fred were great. He shows the install with the deflector high as Welsh shows it in their instructions. If you are over 6 feet tall this height would probably be better than the lower install.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wcnesta
We were out riding around with the top down yesterday and what a difference with the deflector installed. There was very little wind blowing in the cabin area. I did have the rear windows up.(ref. Rev Sam's rear window fix). Later that evening when we were on our way home the temperature dropped down to 52 degrees, but with the heater running it was still comfortable driving. The deflector kept most of the hot air from the vents in the cabin area. I installed mine like Rev Sam did with the deflector about 3 inches lower by reversing the brackets so that I had the nylon nuts under the knobs. I like the looks of this install and it still worked great. I am very happy with the Welsh unit and would recommend it to any of our members. The pictures posted by Fred were great. He shows the install with the deflector high as Welsh shows it in their instructions. If you are over 6 feet tall this height would probably be better than the lower install.

Bill N
03 XKR
I have been communicating with Welsh as to whether any of the hardware washers and other parts and pieces might be available separately. But could you confirm exactly what was included in your hardware package. Mine included the two brackets that mounted to the metal at the interior (along with screws and washers), two twisted brackets, two sleeves with pegs that slide onto the ends of the larger deflector piece, two nylon washers, two nylock nuts with plastic caps, and the two plastic knobs that attach the twisted brackets to the body brackets.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM

I have been communicating with Welsh as to whether any of the hardware washers and other parts and pieces might be available separately. But could you confirm exactly what was included in your hardware package. Mine included the two brackets that mounted to the metal at the interior (along with screws and washers), two twisted brackets, two sleeves with pegs that slide onto the ends of the larger deflector piece, two nylon washers, two nylock nuts with plastic caps, and the two plastic knobs that attach the twisted brackets to the body brackets.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug

I received exactly what you did except I got four nylon washers. You need two for each side. They act like a friction brake for the deflector top piece. One goes between the nylon nut and twisted bracket and the other goes on the other side of the twisted bracket. You can then tighten the nylock nuts so that you can move the top part of the deflector to any position and it will stay there. I have my nylock nuts tightened pretty tight, but I can still move the top part of the deflector back when I have the top up. It stays up and does not move when I am running around 80 MPH with the top down. It is kind of a hit or miss adjustment.

Bill N

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Bill--if you get the chance could you take a close-up shot of your final installation and either post here or pm me?

Also, any idea where to get nylon washers of this size?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Doug

Try a ACE hardware store, they should have them. I would think that Welsh would send you some. I have the pictures of my installation but I do not know how to get them on this message. Doug if you send me your email I will send them to you that way. If you know how to get them on the Jaguar Forum let me know and I will post them. FredXKR how did you get your pictures on?

Bill N
03 XKR

Last edited by wcnesta; 09-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts
wcnesta (09-28-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice for Wind Screen Deflector for my 2006 XKR?