Sponsored by:

Announcing RealGauge! Transform your gauges from "folly" to function

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Hey Steve-

How about the voltage gauge? Is that one linear at all, or does it give us a Polly-anna story like the others?
I have not evaluated it extensively, but it looks like it is at least good enough to show if your system is not charging or if your battery is significantly low. I figured that was acceptable and it was not worth adding and making RealGauge more expensive and difficult to install. Because of the considerable and varying voltage drops by the time the power reaches the front of the car with the battery in the rear, a really accurate voltage gauge would require a dedicated wire run from the instrument cluster to the battery in the trunk and significant interior disassembly. Not worth the effort IMHO.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve,#New member here just bought my XK8. This RealGuage concept sounds great, please add me to the list and let me know when you have units available.
John Scott

Old 06-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I should add to this thread as I'm lucky enough to have been one of the testers for Steve.

I can only echo all 'The Coupe's' comments on just how good this kit is. From the quality of all components and the way they're individually packaged, it's obviously 'hand made' quality. The module itself is about the size of a box of matches, and uses high quality circuit components, all beautifully soldered.

One key item within the kit are the Posi-taps, they make the install an absolute breeze. Once the wires are located the rest is simple because of these little jems, nothing is cut and the wiring are the same colour as Jaguar use, it's all in these little details.

I will say this on an XJ with the coolant but have no doubt the exact same applies to the oil pressure too.

I had one issue with my install because it's a UK XJR, the power lead is a different colour, I emailed Steve about this and within 20 minutes had a pleasant response and the gauge performing as it should, this is the level of support I can only tell people that are still deciding on investing in one

I'm planning on taking a video to show how it performs, with warmed up level, calibration and memory functions, you may have noticed the weather in the UK isn't good with major floods and storms, bear with me - the car doesn't go out in the wet

Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Steve,

Can you do something for the later models too? X350, X200/X202, X400...?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Steve,

Can you do something for the later models too? X350, X200/X202, X400...?

I may investigate what can be done for other models some time in the future.

The remote convertible top module, 3-gauge conversion harness and now the RealGauge module all have roots in ideas or discussions on this forum!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Documentation...

After adding the Remote Top and RealGuage options we should make up a short addendum page outlining the features and directions for each modification and put it with the owners manual.

Even a sticky label type notice added to the manual noting the additions would be useful for the next guy.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Both products have an operation section in the manuals. I recommend printing out those pages and inserting them in the Jaguar owners manual. I will be posting the RealGauge manual shortly, BTW.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-11-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Steve You are the man! Kudos to you!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Gus!

Installation and instruction manuals are now posted for many models here:

RealGauge Installation - TheJagWrangler

The RHD (United Kingdom) model XK8/XKR and early model X308 XJ manuals are not posted yet, but will be up shortly. The differences are very minor.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Impressive Steve, very nicely done! I'll definitely get one of those before the end of the year.

As for the convertible top 'operation manual', most of us who go to this type of effort with their cars, already keeps a good service history book. Mine's in a big 3-ring binder, and I've put the instructions for the remote use right behind the window sticker. The new owner can't miss it. A 'card' size how-to placed in the glove box is a great idea however, maybe I'll make one up and post it.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Thanks Gus!

Installation and instruction manuals are now posted for many models here:

RealGauge Installation - TheJagWrangler

The RHD (United Kingdom) model XK8/XKR and early model X308 XJ manuals are not posted yet, but will be up shortly. The differences are very minor.

The RHD (United Kingdom) model XK8/XKR and early model X308 XJ manuals are now up on my site.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Steve,
Superb development work.
Graham

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Thumbs up

Got mine ordered.
Thanks Steve

Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

fab, fab stuff. I have placed an order now too for the coolant/oil combo.

Also submitted some other wishes/wants/ideas:

- panic button functionality on the OEM alarm (might be a Jag-dealer option already ?)
- add additional sensors to the OEM alarm: it already has glass-break sensor/microphone and tilt/tow sensor. I would like to see a shock sensor and possibly a dual-zone microwave feature. Definitely need the shock sensor though. Damn carpark ding-merchants.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by franksm
fab, fab stuff. I have placed an order now too for the coolant/oil combo.

Also submitted some other wishes/wants/ideas:

- panic button functionality on the OEM alarm (might be a Jag-dealer option already ?)
- add additional sensors to the OEM alarm: it already has glass-break sensor/microphone and tilt/tow sensor. I would like to see a shock sensor and possibly a dual-zone microwave feature. Definitely need the shock sensor though. Damn carpark ding-merchants.
Thank for your order and your ideas!

For the panic button, your key fob should have a headlight button (a few have a horn button instead). In either case, three sequential presses should trigger the panic alarm. At least that is the way US market cars are programmed.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Ace work! Congrats from another 'wrangler' Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 797
Size:  234 Bytes

Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts
Thumbs up

I just installed the coolant gauge in my car today. It is a must have for all of us. The instructions are easy to follow & the installation is very straight forward. I took the opportunity to replace the instrument cluster bulbs at the same time. It seems so strange to see the coolant gauge go above the half way mark, I guess I will get used to that. The real test will be driving the car in traffic on a hot day & actually seeing how hot the car gets. Thank you very much Steve for all of your work on this setup.

WhiteXKR (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I am so looking forward to getting the temp mod. Ever since learning that it's nothing more than a fancy idiot light, I get irritated every time I look at it.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default I Just Installed Real Gauges...

Coudos to WhiteXKR.
Just finished THE REALGAUGE INSTALL, it was quite easy, the directions were right on and very easy to understand.
I am not even close to a mechanic or electrician but was able to do this with ease.

My oil pressure was just as expected 75 cold 50 warm 20 idle and back up to 75 on throttle PSI of course.

Now my coolant temp might be a bit high, it was stable at 215 degrees, but I am in Arizona
and it is 102 degrees(a cool Day), I'm sure the outside ambient temperature would make the car run on the warm side.

I am very happy with my new gauges, took about 4 hours maybe 5 by the time everything put back together.

This is a good investment for every Jaguar owner.
This is my second upgrade from White XKR I did the conversion from navigation to the 3 gauges in the middle console, that was just as easy .
WhiteXKR really covers everything you need in the kit to install.

WHITE XKR is a GURU AFICIONADO OF JAGUARS.
A REAL ASSET TO THIS FORUM.
Thank you for being here and helping.

Warn regards to all and,
Happy motoring...

Last edited by vettegood; 07-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.
WhiteXKR (07-30-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I have had the RealGauge upgrade for a few weeks now, but other projects keep getting in the way. I want to finish it soon as I am concerned about coolant temps. It was 102 F today is expected to hit 104 F tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on install time, that is helpful to know.

Did you use the labels supplied with the kit? If yes, how do they look and would you recommend them? I think I would like them on the oil gauge, but don't want to pull that section just for the labels. It would match the 3-gauge cluster better with the labels, but add time & effort for esthetics only. (This confession may officially prove my level of lazy.)

Quick Reply: Announcing RealGauge! Transform your gauges from "folly" to function