XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA

Well, I went and did it... I ordered a Stage II Twin Screw Supercharger upgrade kit from AVos. Utilizing a Kenne Bell 2.6L high compression supercharger and custom CNC mounts/covers, it includes the 90mm throttle body and a few other goodies like an intake elbow and specialized blow off valve. For information about this supercharger kit, see AVos' post linked in my signature below.

It will take a few weeks for the kit to be built, then shipping and installation time at Falconworks Independent Jaguar Technicians in Tucson, Arizona.

After the kit arrives, I'll post a few photos of the cool stuff and include photos of other things like the large diameter intake that I'll build to go along with the kit.

It's going to be a fun ride and I'll post photographs as they become available, plus some videos. After the project is complete, I'll see about doing some dyno runs to see how much fun can be had at Tucson's elevation of 2700 feet.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 10-12-2012 at 07:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jeff in Tucson:
Arland Green (06-18-2014), Cambo (10-13-2012), Phil m (05-20-2023), Salo (05-15-2017), Sean B (10-13-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Let us know what they charge for installation

Or if they gave you an estimate. I looked at this kit myself but the install cost was too open ended. But I'd be interested if it wasn't crazy expensive to install.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Just couldn't wait until spring?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

You will love the Twin Screw setup!! I have only one thing to suggest to you while they are working on the car. Have them install the bluetop solenoids in the transmission. This makes for a much smoother & responsive shift. There are a few things you should do when they have the supercharger off-replace the 2 hoses under the blower & also the hose that connects to the water valve, the part load breather hose, upgrade to the late style supercharger outlet flanges & seals, drive belts & thermostat. These are all items that you will find so much easier & require very little labor @ that point. I wish you the best of luck you will not regret your descion. You will find Andre very knowledgable & helpful with any questions you have.

The following 3 users liked this post by JgaXkr:
Arland Green (06-05-2014), Jeff in Tucson (10-13-2012), User 070620 (05-16-2013)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Ooooh Jeff you lucky boy - I see it's a 4.0 unit as well. Magic, really looking forward to this thread as you add the info, not been done before on here, apart from the BIP debacle ...-... which isn't a REAL option to us, just an engineering exercise in how to spend stupid money, and 18 months with no running car!

Solid advice from JgaXkr.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Default Thanks

That's good info.

Falconworks will charge me approximately $1500-2000 for the install of the supercharger kit.

There is a developing knocking/rattling sound coming from the engine if I use more than 3/4 acceleration prior to the engine being properly warmed up. Obviously, I avoid doing that, but 'test' that situation on occasion. The time is right to get the supercharger kit put together by AVos and have it installed, since the engine will be opened up to work on anyway. That's probably a $1500 savings right there!

See... there's good to be found in every situation.

I keep thinking that the knock noise is a lifter/valve. Falconworks thought that is was piston slap at first, but it is a new and developing sound. It began to develop as our weather cooled, but I believe that is circumstantial. They now think that it could be the tensioners. We will know soon!

I know rotary engines well, but piston engines are still a bit of a mystery to me. My gut still tells me that the issue is a valve/lifter. After the engine has warmed, there is no knock sound whatsoever, regardless of the amount of throttle application.

There is a young guy with a new Cadillac that has the monster suped-up engine in it that challenged me on a safe section of isolated boulevard (no side streets) the other day. We had fun hitting the accelerator next to each other. He's got me with a bit more acceleration at this time. I can't wait to give him a little surprise the next time that I see him... he'll think that I was 'holding back' or sand-bagging it in our prior encounter. Tucson is a smaller city and I've seen him previously. I'm not into all-out racing on the street... that's too dangerous for everyone, but fun blasts for 2-3 seconds are great fun if nobody is around and there are no side streets.

I'm going to see if I can find a thread in the forum about the blue solenoids. I have a few weeks to consider things.

The following users liked this post:
Galmann (06-01-2013)
Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
There is a developing knocking/rattling sound coming from the engine if I use more than 3/4 acceleration prior to the engine being properly warmed up.
In that case, add new knock sensors to the list of cleanup items under the SC. Not because they are the culprit, but because you have access with the SC removed. Their operation is sensitive to proper torquing as noted in the past by Brutal.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a developing knocking/rattling sound coming from the engine if I use more than 3/4 acceleration prior to the engine being properly warmed up.

I keep thinking that the knock noise is a lifter/valve. Falconworks thought that is was piston slap at first, but it is a new and developing sound. It began to develop as our weather cooled, but I believe that is circumstantial. They now think that it could be the tensioners. We will know soon!

I know rotary engines well, but piston engines are still a bit of a mystery to me. My gut still tells me that the issue is a valve/lifter. After the engine has warmed, there is no knock sound whatsoever, regardless of the amount of throttle application.
It's not very often I hear someone say they know rotaries well, but not piston motors. Y'all Wankel guys are weird, to me. :-)

Anyway: the basic symptoms you describe are opposite of what one would typically expect with a lifter failure. They sound MORE like bearing, to me. And if your boys thought it might be piston-slap, that could've been because of where the noise was coming from? So maybe a wristpin? The good news is: you'll get to upgrade whatever the culprit is! :-)

Jeff in Tucson (10-14-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeff,

Wow! Congrats on the twin screw S/C kit! I am, as well as others, eagerly anticipating your results, upon the arrival and install of the kit. Are going to do a pre-install and post install dyno test? I've seen some of your other videos...can't wait to see an awesome post-install road test video...starring your ear-to-ear grin!!!

Cheers!

Jon

Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm going to see if I can find a thread in the forum about the blue solenoids. I have a few weeks to consider things.
Not a Jag forum but this should tell you what you need about doing the blue solenoid mod.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f325/f...enoids-158869/

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 10-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Jeff in Tucson (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Default Thanks to JgaXkr & mjlaris for the Blue-Top solenoid tips.

I did some further research after mjlaris sent me a link via PM. His link is found buried in another link that I found that has awesome information about using the blue top solenoids on the NAG1 Mercedes transmission in Cherokee SRT8s, the same as used in our XKR Jaguars.

The result for many with the same transmission in high powered Cherokee SRT8 hot rods is superior shifting and no slippage when under high boost. Some of these guys are running in the 10s in the quarter mile with the same transmission as ours, pumping out some big horsepower with supercharged hemi engines. These transmissions can take a real beating!

Some folks have paid around $500 for a pair of solenoids, but I found them at parts.com for $160.80 each at this link. I'll get these and install them when the supercharger is installed.

Thanks for the tips, guys. These blue top solenoids will be great.

Name:  solenoid14.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  64.0 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff in Tucson:
Arland Green (06-05-2014), Naso--Lituratus (02-27-2015), uropnm6 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Default The adventure begins...

I received the thorough instructions from AVos this morning, after he confirmed that my bank transfer was executed properly. The instructions are quite complete. I will provide them to my independent Jaguar technicians at Falconworks for performing the supercharger installation. The estimated installation time is approximately 19 hours, but that includes removal of the supercharger. I will already have that accomplished with the previously planned engine repair, so the installation time for the new supercharger may be less. The techs at Falconworks tend to be REALLY meticulous, so they may actually take a bit longer than the projected hours.

It is uncommon for a skilled technician, like AVos, to offer up so much advice and product for such a great value when the numbers of sales are more limited in scope. For example, fewer numbers of these supercharger kits will sell as compared to how many sell for Mustang or Camaro owners. I admire his effort and I'm glad that I am able to take part in it. It makes it obvious that he cares about his own investigations into the vehicle's capabilities. He is exactly the kind of person that the Jaguar community needs to enhance the fun of driving and the 'soul value' of our fine vehicles.

Part of my own plan is to drive my 2000 XKR Jaguar until I am a much older man (currently 48 years of age). I tend to keep vehicles for a long time. I also own a Mazda rotary engine pick up truck (1974) with a supercharged, propane-powered 1.3L rotary engine. I used to drive it as a daily vehicle. For times when I carry items or have work done on the XKR, I utilize a 2003 Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. AVos' contribution to the characteristics of my Jaguar XKR will be significant over the years. I enjoy vehicles that are unique and powerful.

Ah, the adventure begins.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 10-17-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Naso--Lituratus (02-27-2015)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Jeff one thing to consider when you almost double your power output, brakes...Maybe start looking for the R Brembo calipers. It's nice to know it can stop, as well as go

Arland Green (06-05-2014)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Jeff, Here! Here! for jumping into the deep end with both feet RE: the Twin Screw set up.

I have considered AVOS' mod myself, but for financial reasons, decided to go with a smaller stainless pulley from "Powerhouse" in the UK. I have been very happy with the mid-range power that was added by the pulley. Also, I really enjoyed your posts on the water/methanol injection system and plan to look closely at adding one myself in the near future.

You are certainly on the right track to beef up the shifts of your MB 722.6 transmission too. My 2003 XKR has the ZF 6HP26 and I have not had very good luck finding much out there on the "interwebs" on modifying that box. I'd really like to find away to manually access and hold first gear!

Good luck! And please keep up your progress reports with pictures.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Default Maxwdg

Thanks!

...and God Bless you and your wife.

Getting into and holding first gear, by choice would certainly be awesome.

I believe that you'll like the meth/water injection. I love it!

Better brakes will probably be on the agenda early next year. 'Gotta keep it outta the weeds!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 PM

I bought the massive 3.5" silicone intake piping, fittings, and higher flowing air to water intercooler pump from siliconeintakes.com today (AVos referral). I also bought the new 3.5" mass air flow meter to go with it and snagged the huge 3.5" K&N cone filter from a Jeg's eBay auction for $53 (that will fit into the fender well like AVos has done).

Most shopping is now done.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 10-20-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What 3.5 mass is it?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 PM

This is the new 3.5" MAF:
3.5" Pro-Tube - Mass Air Meters

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 PM

I had read in other forums that the blue top solenoids had frequently shown up as the incorrect brown tops (when ordered from parts.com), plus there are no returns.

I opted to purchase elsewhere for a few dollars more and have a money-back guarantee from this eBay auction: AMG Mercedes Benz Blue Top Solenoids Dodge Chrysler NAG1 722 6 Transmission | eBay

This is their eBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Small-Fleet-P...1&_sop=1&_vc=1

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 10-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

That is a very good price. I went to my local Mercedes dealer & paid a lot more than that. When they are changing the solenoids have them replace the connector on the plug as well.

Quick Reply: Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA