XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASI Throttle Bodies - buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default ASI Throttle Bodies - buyer beware

As many of you know I had a LOT of issues with ASI, so far since September 24th when I requested my refund, I have been told 6 times my refund is being processed and as of today, no refund. Note: they received the TB back on 10/1.

I have sent eith the TB or TPS back to them 6 times (4 times I paid shipping) and never got one to work (though one did work for a week). I have been hung upped on and told I was not installing it right (3 times I had my indy mechanic try and he could not get them to work), was told once I got a different TB and it was the same one ( I know because I marked it before I sent it back) and when I told him that it was the same part, because I had marked it, he said it was rebuilt.

I have never posted about a bad experience before, but I am now because of the WORST experience I have ever had with an company.

The following 2 users liked this post by randyb:
Johnken (11-26-2014), larueb (11-14-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

That certainly is a different experience from what I had with my ECM repair. I will not suggest using them for throttle body repair, and hope they will post here to respond to your comment.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
That certainly is a different experience from what I had with my ECM repair. I will not suggest using them for throttle body repair, and hope they will post here to respond to your comment.
I have read on other forums that some had good experiences, but others have posted similar experiences to mine.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Thanks for filling us in on your experience with this company. Please keep us posted. As our cars continue to age, more and more throttle bodies will need to be rebuilt/reconditioned/replaced and it is crucial for owners to know which companies do a consistently good job and which companies may create more problems than resolutions....

Good luck as you pursue your case with ASI. I hope you'll finally get a replacement throttle body that works as it should....

Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Also, I told them I would be posting here and on other forums.

Still no refund after 7 weeks.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Have they explained why?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you found a solution to your throttle body issue? Try another place? Or waiting to do that after you get your money back? Just curious...

Old 11-24-2014, 08:42 AM

I bit the bullet and bought a new TB, wish I would have done it first. Would have saved me some money and a LOT of time.

ASI TB cost me just over $2100, new was $1450.

BTW: 7 weeks today since they got my TB and still no refund, sent them an email last Thursday and no response.

Last edited by randyb; 11-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by randyb
I bit the bullet and bought a new TB, wish I would have done it first. Would have saved me some money and a LOT of time.

ASI TB cost me just over $2100, new was $1450.

BTW: 7 weeks today since they got my TB and still no refund, sent them an email last Thursday and no response.

I thought the TB new was about $2400? Are you willing to share the supplier at that price?
Thanks

Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

In reading the Refund Policy and one part says they do not refund for change of mind. If you feel strong about your position I would report it to the BBB and see what they can do for you.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

You may also want to consider your state's small claims court. No attorney needed if you do your homework and handle your own case....

Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

I think you have to have our throttle bodies digitally angled at Jaguar,using their programmer, in order for a new tb/tps to work, or note your resistance before removing it.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Not sure about that. I never had a problem yet.

Originally Posted by aode06
I think you have to have our throttle bodies digitally angled at Jaguar,using their programmer, in order for a new tb/tps to work, or note your resistance before removing it.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:21 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Jaguar stated you must do a hard reset for a Brand New TB,and if problems persist, the TB has to be angled with the throttle blade to the ecm /calibrated digitally.My suggestion, is a member on here with the same car tell you their voltage key on engine off and you set your tps to that voltage,to help, this is why i record the voltage on every vehicle before removing the tps. or

Last edited by aode06; 11-25-2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
In reading the Refund Policy and one part says they do not refund for change of mind. If you feel strong about your position I would report it to the BBB and see what they can do for you.
Gus,
Changing my mind would be ordering the product and then deciding I did not want the product.

This is a case of defective product and they have told me everytime I called that the refund is in process and it has been 2 months, so I am at a loos as to why you seem to be defending them.

Also, called today and asked to speak to a manager, got sent instead to the technical departments voice mail after giving the customer service rep my name. I also hired an attorney, as they are in TN and I am in AL, they seem to not want to talk to me anymore and to be honest, do not want to talk to them.

So far, I have ranted about them on 3 forums and if I do not get my refund by Friday, planning to spend the weekend bashing them. I am planning to try and run the company into the ground.

I think after 6 months and spending a ton of money, they deserve nothing less.

Last edited by randyb; 12-02-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by chopr
Have you found a solution to your throttle body issue? Try another place? Or waiting to do that after you get your money back? Just curious...
Not yet, I got a used TB on the car now, just bought another car, so this is on the back burner. My indy told be about another company on ebay, that he has had good luck with and their name is BBA Reman.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Have they explained why?
Everytime I call, they give me the same basic answer.

The refund is being processed and can take up to 30 days.

After 30 days it has been.

The refund is being processed and can take up to 30 business days and maybe slightly longer.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by aode06
No, all you need to do is a hard reset. You do need to take the car to jag dealer to set the TPS correctly. With ASI's procedure, you can get close but not 100%, unless you get lucky.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Just to be fair...

ASI did an excellent job on my MY2000 throttle body repair in 2011. Fast and inexpensive. It went back in perfectly and fired up great.

They even owned up to an out-of-warranty repair to fix an epoxy problem that cropped up 2 years later. No charge for that.

ASI is a very small company, there's no doubt about that. I suspect that the OP's issue has gotten personal with them and, right or wrong, he'll never see a dime. (I work for a similarly small shop and know this happens.)

My experience with the handful of ABS, Top Latch and Throttle Body rebuilders, Gauge upgraders, Electrical enhancers, Pump rebuilders, Pressure Reduction Valve suppliers, S/S Hose vendors and Gauge Cluster fixers that keep our cars on the road is uniformly good. As I think back to my dealings with each, most have had the opportunity to resolve an issue and stand behind their product - ASI was one of them.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spurlee
ASI did an excellent job on my MY2000 throttle body repair in 2011. Fast and inexpensive. It went back in perfectly and fired up great.

They even owned up to an out-of-warranty repair to fix an epoxy problem that cropped up 2 years later. No charge for that.

ASI is a very small company, there's no doubt about that. I suspect that the OP's issue has gotten personal with them and, right or wrong, he'll never see a dime. (I work for a similarly small shop and know this happens.)

My experience with the handful of ABS, Top Latch and Throttle Body rebuilders, Gauge upgraders, Electrical enhancers, Pump rebuilders, Pressure Reduction Valve suppliers, S/S Hose vendors and Gauge Cluster fixers that keep our cars on the road is uniformly good. As I think back to my dealings with each, most have had the opportunity to resolve an issue and stand behind their product - ASI was one of them.
I restore cars and have bought from many small companies and have never had this kind of experience before and you are wrong, I will get my money back, as I have an attorney going to court and if they still do not pay, I will use the judgement to put a lien on their business.

According to the BBB, there have been 8 complaints launched against them this year and mine makes 9.

Quick Reply: ASI Throttle Bodies - buyer beware