XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, have the same problem here, but i do got rain sensors (AK8 2001) I have a diagram but to hard to read for me and wonder if someone could help me to put the colours of wiring together. here you can find the diagram http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

on the mirror i have
- Black
- Light gray
- Yellow
- Red
- Blue
- Purple
- Green
- White

on the Yellow connector i have

- White/red
- Yellow/blue
- Brown/Black
- Green/Black
- Brown/white
- Blue/white
- Yellow
- Blue

hope someone will be able to read the diagram and help me connect those wires.
thank you

Old 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Page 15 of that manual has the codes for your colours. Has your car got an auto headlights feature? The sensor for that is located on the lower back of the mirror a little window.
Fig 11.4 in that manual gets you some colours with the headlight sensor, the other should be the rain sensor, Fig 14.1 - hope that helps?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
$214??? I priced a windshield for my car and it was $900. I have the automatic wiper sensor and the auto headlights.
NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS??? Sam, you can get one for half that here in the Triad. I have auto/auto too. Call these folk: http://www.pfaffs.com/ They do great work, same day service.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Awesome information, took a total of two minutes to remove. Thanks 64Driver

Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Default Rear view mirror explosion, okay drizzle.

I was able to get the mirror off due to the excellent information posted and made contact with Sybesmas Electronics, but I wanted to ask is there any recourse for damage to the interior caused by the fluid from the mirror. Is there a recall message on these mirrors?

64Driver
99XK8
04XJ8

Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM

'99xk8,Lt side RV mirror has big colorred bulge no leak.After your post I plan to try it w the sybesma model. Thanks. Midamdoc.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

glad you found the thread midamdoc, I hope the xk8-xkr FAQ thread with oodles of good topics/documents are coming in handy for you.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I had half mirror dark and half normal, like the typical LC failure you are talking about. However, my mirror is the worst version, it has 8 wires, because I have automatic lights and rain sensor. Called Sybesma, they wanted $95 and have my mirror shipped first, so I'd be out of comission for a week.
Long story short, I split the casing (gently), black liquid was half leaked out, so black poison was already on the loose.
One thing, led to another, I removed the outer glass layer, washed off black liquid residue and reassembled casing with two dabs of super glue.

Right now I have perfectly clear, non dimming mirror, until I find matching unit on eBay, or some junkyard from 02-03 XKR.

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-img_0440.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
earny (01-29-2023)
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

that's still not a bad price at all. You'll only be w/o a factory mirror..you could get a little suction cup mirror while its fixed You'll pay more for a salvage unit I think. Let us know what you find.

I had a rental car the other day, didn't have a dimming rearview mirror, and driving 3 hours in the dark on the highways really taxed my eyes as I never realized how much I checked my 6:00 until that night. My guess is you'll miss it if you take any trips at night for any extended period.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I believe the $95 charge is regardless of which version you have (I have rain sensing wipers and automatic lights as well) Interesting that they want you to ship your mirror first, they sent me a replacement (after I took pictures and filled out their form) and then I sent in my core. I didn't want to temporarily reassemble with my old mirror after I took it out to check the wires and take pictures, so I just used the outside mirrors for a bit on mine until the new one arrived.

I agree with Matt, I can pretty much guarantee you won't find a used one for less than the cost to refurbish yours (especially with the different wires for different options and years, you have fewer to choose from, so you might have to pay even more for the right one).…and if you do, you may end up with the same problem down the road. However, since you altered your mirror, you might have trouble getting Sybesma to accept your core without an additional charge.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
that's still not a bad price at all. You'll only be w/o a factory mirror..you could get a little suction cup mirror while its fixed You'll pay more for a salvage unit I think. Let us know what you find.

I had a rental car the other day, didn't have a dimming rearview mirror, and driving 3 hours in the dark on the highways really taxed my eyes as I never realized how much I checked my 6:00 until that night. My guess is you'll miss it if you take any trips at night for any extended period.
I'm gonna buy cheap $50 acura mirror, with 3 wires and same glass part, so I could swap the guts and not pay any bandits for the fact that my car has dead cat mounted on its hood.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been waiting on one from EBAY myself...because after my mirror failed my auto-lights stopped working. Has this happened to anyone else?? If i get a fix from Sybesma would that fix the issue with my auto lights??? Not sure what to do from here.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Speaking of which, what does that adjustment knob, on the back of my mirror do?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is to adjust the light sensor for your auto lights if I am not mistaken.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo68
That is to adjust the light sensor for your auto lights if I am not mistaken.
Turbo68 is correct.

Mish_Mish, We would love a nice writeup on the Acura mirror swap, if you do it.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo68
I have been waiting on one from EBAY myself...because after my mirror failed my auto-lights stopped working. Has this happened to anyone else?? If i get a fix from Sybesma would that fix the issue with my auto lights??? Not sure what to do from here.
My wifes 99 is the same way. No auto darkening on any mirrors and no auto headlights although it's supposed to have them. Maybe someone knows if fixing the mirror will help.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on Sybesma's Electronics

"Thank you for you inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not have the plastics in
house to build you a mirror as a pre-exchange. However, if you would like to
send your mirror into us, as a repair and return, we will gladly exchange
out the defective glass cell. The cost for repair is $95 (including
shipping/handling) which will be retained up front prior to the repair.

........................................... (snip)

PLEASE NOTE - We no longer carry glass cells that support the slider button
auto dim feature "

That's from earlier today. I've asked them just how the repaired mirror will operate. When I receive a reply, I will post.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Long story short, I split the casing (gently), black liquid was half leaked out, so black poison was already on the loose.
One thing, led to another, I removed the outer glass layer, washed off black liquid residue and reassembled casing with two dabs of super glue.

Right now I have perfectly clear, non dimming mirror, until I find matching unit on eBay, or some junkyard from 02-03 XKR.
Yep, since my last post I'm finished with the project. I let the magic smoke out and resealed it. Used a Dremmel and it took 20 minutes to separate the glasses.

Model cement works better than superglue (I didn't have any of the gel type on hand). If you're gonna keep it this way forever, I suggest resealing it all the way around so it doesn't get dirty.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THANKS! Gordo gato coche...you saved me about $500. I was able to remove the mirror and fix the mount that was loose on the back where it attaches to the ball. I just tightened the medal ring but I could not get at it to see what was going on and was afraid to try to remove it myself. Of course the dealer assured me it was broken and wanted to put on a new mirror. Muchas Gracias!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Gordo for the replacement contact info. They told me that the don't have the plastic in stock and that's why they now need the actual mirror to repair. It doesn't seem like a core swap, its that they are actually going to put a new core into the actual mirror and that's why it gets sent to them first.

I'm having this done as a father's day present for my dad and his '97. I did my '98 a few years ago (I was the lucky last one mentioned to get the free replacement right from Magna Donnelly in '08) My question is were they all defective up through '06? Or were they OK after a certain year? I'm wondering if my '05 will eventually need the repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement