Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY
I asked my dealer this question a week ago since I'm a part-time FL resident. He recommended pumping the tires up to 50 lbs to prevent flat spots from developing.
If it does exceed the maximum, I would be cautious. I inflate mine to the maximim stated, and that's it. Then I use these:

http://www.autogeek.net/tire-supports.html

I can't speak to their effectiveness since I just bought them this fall for storing my XJS that I purchased in the spring. I don't have any for the XK8 yet because I'm putting new tires on in the spring.

Has anyone else used these?

Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Storage

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
If it does exceed the maximum, I would be cautious. I inflate mine to the maximim stated, and that's it. Then I use these:

Flatstoppers Tire Supports

I can't speak to their effectiveness since I just bought them this fall for storing my XJS that I purchased in the spring. I don't have any for the XK8 yet because I'm putting new tires on in the spring.

Has anyone else used these?

I have not used the tire supports, but I am interested to hear what you or others think after using them for a while. My experience is inflating the tires to the maximum pressure stated will not eliminate flat spots, but it does helps reduce the severity of them. Thanks for the link on the Flatstoppers Tire Supports.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking

Man...after reading all these posts, I'm SO glad that I live in an area where the winters are mild and there's maybe...maybe two weeks of sporatic ice on the road. Therefore never having to "winterize" and store my kitty. It's an all year drive for me....except those couple weeks of course...

Old 10-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller
Man...after reading all these posts, I'm SO glad that I live in an area where the winters are mild and there's maybe...maybe two weeks of sporatic ice on the road. Therefore never having to "winterize" and store my kitty. It's an all year drive for me....except those couple weeks of course...

I feel so sorry for you - missing the thrill of a white Christmas !!

Attached Thumbnails car storage-honda-snowed-27nov.2013.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
marvin.d.miller (10-29-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading all the advice regarding laying up the car for the winter, mine was left for just over a week and the battery went flat. If we get too much snow this winter I will lay up the Jag. but have no garage space. Will have to stay on the drive. Best advice appears to be remove the battery and pump up tyres. No point in starting as you say there will be condensation issues. Hopefull not too much snow in N Yorks!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default To drop the Top or not to drop the Top . . .

I've read many JF posts about the advisability of starting one's car every few weeks vs. not due to a concern about build up of condensation but my question is about the convertible Top.

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to occasionally put the Top up & down so as to exercise the mechanicals and keep the system fresh and lubricated. Similar to why it is recommended that AC systems be run in the winter (whether stored or driven) so as to keep the seals lubricated and flexible. If the seals dry out, the system can lose pressure and refrigerant. Could/will that happen with the hydraulics associated with the Top?

On a second note, while I use Stabil in many small power equipment units, I was hesitant to add it to PURRLL as Jaguar recommends AGAINST any gas or oil additives at all.

Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Pash (03-05-2015)