Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

All I did was lift the carpet and installed the hose under it. Removing the plastic panel was a matter of pushing it forward with a lifting motion, sounds harder than it was to do. As for the running board I did not remove mine I just worked the hose under the carpet from the center of the car. The foot rest did not cause a problem for me.

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 108,000mi K&N Filter
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS. Albert Einstein
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

The polished kick plate is rather difficult to remove. I used a heat gun to warm the most adhesive double backed tape on the planet then a razor knife and some dental floss to 'cut' it loose. I was able to remove mine without damaging it but most shops consider a new one just part of the cost of the hose replacement.
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the quick replies...I was able to finally get the foot rest loose and remove the panel without taking off the chrome running board so that was a relief. Now I am messing with getting the line from the back seat to the trunk. I feel like I need to raise the roof a little to get a little more access. Did you guys have to do that? It looks like it is going to be a royal pain to get those lines through that small hole that is already jammed with wires. Unfortunately have only had about an hour a day to work on this. Hopefully I will be able to knock it out over the weekend.
Supercharger Pulley Upgrade
More updates to come!!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjxkr00 View Post
looks like it is going to be a royal pain to get those lines through that small hole that is already jammed with wires.
IMO, the easiest way is to use duct tape and tape the new hoses to the old ones, then pull the new ones through using the old ones.

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteXKR View Post
IMO, the easiest way is to use duct tape and tape the new hoses to the old ones, then pull the new ones through using the old ones.
+1

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS. Albert Einstein
Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Just had it done

Found x jag mech to do job. Suggested kit from jag. He claims they also fail. Replaced entire lines which involves tearing car apart. What a disgraceful piece of engineering!!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoPaul View Post
Found x jag mech to do job. Suggested kit from jag. He claims they also fail. Replaced entire lines which involves tearing car apart. What a disgraceful piece of engineering!!

Ain't it amazingly stupid!

Doug
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Bengallia

Hi! My "brand new" '03 XKR conv just developed the top latch leak. Would you please send me the JTB and any other relevant instructions.

Thanks,
- Ben
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Ben,

You are new to the forum and the links may not work for you. This link will put you in the right direction Hose Replacement or Hose Evaluation or use the link in my signature.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM

Hi Gus
I sent a couple of messages to the link you provided for the CGR hose repair kit you came up with. ( see below) I have yet to get a reply. Did I mess up or do I need to just call them?

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:59 PM
To: 'ctrent@colliflower.com'
Subject: Jaguar CGR Roof Hose

Hi Chic

My name is Phil Kispert. I am a member of the Jaguar Forum, and am writing to ask about the Jaguar replacement hose kit that Gus Gilkas worked with you to develop. I have an 01 Jaguar XK-8 convertible, and need to replace the hydraulic roof hose. Please email me back with price and ordering information.

Regards,

Phil Kispert
pnkispert@gmail.com
828-974-2152
Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Phil,

I had the same challenge---contact Michele Trent at 410-686-1200 or via email at MTrent@colliflower.com
pkispert (09-16-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincat View Post
Phil,

I had the same challenge---contact Michele Trent at 410-686-1200 or via email at MTrent@colliflower.com
Thanks - had the same "no response" and have emailed Michele
(2004 RAV4)
(2012 Minicooper)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinaz123 View Post
I had Greg at British Automotive Repair look at it and he showed me how to push the ram down. he put one hand on top of the ram on the inside and the other hand on top of the first hand on the outside surface of the top and push down on the outer hand. That way he got downward pressure to move it. I did it myself using a folded rag on the inside and 2 hands on the outside with the weight of my upper body. This technique worked for me.

We diagnosed the problem as a bad microswitch in the passenger side top ram. I'll take it back to him to fix since half the interior has to be remove to get to it.

Bob
Bob - Is this Greg a good mechanic for a Jag in this area? Can you post his contacts or send me a pm.
Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Kal
(2004 RAV4)
(2012 Minicooper)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

I was out of town for a day or two, did you get this resolved?? If not let me know. I did not get your messages..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkispert View Post
Hi Gus
I sent a couple of messages to the link you provided for the CGR hose repair kit you came up with. ( see below) I have yet to get a reply. Did I mess up or do I need to just call them?

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:59 PM
To: 'ctrent@colliflower.com'
Subject: Jaguar CGR Roof Hose

Hi Chic

My name is Phil Kispert. I am a member of the Jaguar Forum, and am writing to ask about the Jaguar replacement hose kit that Gus Gilkas worked with you to develop. I have an 01 Jaguar XK-8 convertible, and need to replace the hydraulic roof hose. Please email me back with price and ordering information.

Regards,

Phil Kispert
pnkispert@gmail.com
828-974-2152

Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjxkr00 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies...I was able to finally get the foot rest loose and remove the panel without taking off the chrome running board so that was a relief. Now I am messing with getting the line from the back seat to the trunk. I feel like I need to raise the roof a little to get a little more access. Did you guys have to do that? It looks like it is going to be a royal pain to get those lines through that small hole that is already jammed with wires. Unfortunately have only had about an hour a day to work on this. Hopefully I will be able to knock it out over the weekend.
I did the hose replacement last weekend. When I got to the point of routing the hoses into the trunk, I could not even see the hole into the trunk and the old hose was impossible to pull through. What I did was manually grab the roof by hand and pull it up slowly about 1/2 way. It will stay up like that by itself. Then I had a clear view of the hole to the trunk and just pushed the new hoses individually through the hole. Later I just pushed the roof all the way down again (make sure you push it all the way down). This worked well....good luck with the job!!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi Gus
Mountaincat gave me another person to contact. Michele Trent. I will try that today. Another question for you... I have seen three suggested solutions to this problem; hoses, pressure relief valve and resistor. Is one better? I am thinking about doing both stronger hoses and the valve, but skipping the resistor. Any suggestions or comments? Phil
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkispert View Post
Hi Gus
Mountaincat gave me another person to contact. Michele Trent. I will try that today. Another question for you... I have seen three suggested solutions to this problem; hoses, pressure relief valve and resistor. Is one better? I am thinking about doing both stronger hoses and the valve, but skipping the resistor. Any suggestions or comments? Phil
Phil,

Let me know how you make out with the hose. I am partial to the valve and know it is a superior application between the two applications.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

I, on the other hand, believe ("know" seems the wrong word for what is, after all, an opinion) the electrical approach to be better because:

- the installation is trivial, much less invasive.

- the motor consumes less power running under reduced voltage, which should extend its life.

- the cost is less than 10% that of the valve.

- this solution is on the right side of history. Many if not all car manufacturers now use electrical control of pump pressure in convertible top hydraulics. I don't know of any still using a relief valve.

All this said, I would prefer not to have to respond to statements about which approach is "superior".
1997 HD FLHR: Andrews cam, Mikuni, Dyna ign., Kerkers, one low-sider but you'd never know it

Last edited by Dennis07; 09-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Sorry but I do know! See the attached chart. It is what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
 Convertible top latch hydraulic problem-stk-res-valve-3-jpg  

Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, we must go on it seems.

As some here know, I'm on the road for a week or so, but there will be time down the road. Have not taken a close look so far.

For now, I would just ask folks to stand by and recall this is from the same source claiming a stall while raising the top (not seen by any of 200+ other users.)
1997 HD FLHR: Andrews cam, Mikuni, Dyna ign., Kerkers, one low-sider but you'd never know it
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Tags
convertible, covertable, fixing, fluid, hose, hydraulic, hydrolic, installation, jaguar, kit, latch, lead, repair, tool, top, xk8