Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Default Cooling fans

So my car drove a little weird yesterday and the temps went really high and got a warning light. Had it towed to a mechanic. Mechanic says the cooling fans are not turning on for some reason. Any ideas or suggestions I can point him towards? He's not an expert... just a one guy shop that doesn't work on Jags.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Start at fuses and relays. If they are good, check the coolant temp switch. If this is okay, there may be a harness problem. Finally, the ECM turns on the fans so it is the last in the chain.
04 Jeep Wrangler
09 Kawasaki Concours 1400
65 BMW R69S
67 Velocette Venom Thruxton
89 Honda GB500TT
Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Exkay8, please put your model year in your signature (see your forum control panel) , or at least in every post you ask question about it. There are different sources for different years, trust me.

Did your coolant just recently 'disappear' and hit the high temp warning gage limit, and initially overheat your car?

I remember reading in the xJ8 & XJR section where a member's car only overheated when the A/C was on...turns out he had a blown fuse for the radiator fans in the engine bay. I'm not saying this is your solution, but it could be related. Was your A/C on both times when you noticed the high temp and the car 'felt weird'?

I am going out on a limb and say you've got a leak somewhere...separate from the fan issue.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the help. Sorry, when registering on this site, it asks for your car model and year. and I figured it was visible to others users somewhere. I fixed the signature.

There was virtually no coolant loss, it just overheated.

I did have the defogger on when it happened. Also, the a/c doesn't blow cold.

My mechanic threw his hands up, I'm about to drive this car about 6 miles, to another mechanic, I hope I don't do any major harm to it.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,017 Times in 894 Posts
gus@jagrepair.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Gus

I would check the fuse first then the a/c relay and then the operation pressure on the a/c system. You will need a set of gauges to do this. You might say why the pressure? You’re a/c system has a pressure switch that is mounted below and between the fans. If the pressure in not correct in the system it will not let the a/c compressor engage. This switch also controls the cooling fans. If I recall the sequence, start the car with the a/c off, turn the a/c on and the compressor should engage and the cooling fans should turn on. I had the same problem and it was the pressure switch. I hope this helps!

A/C information http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairTroubleShooting.htm
Wiring diagram for the car http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairElectrical.htm

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 120,000mi K&N Filter
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”― W.C. Fields
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Old 10-05-2010, 05:57 PM

The fuses to check are:
Fuse #12 (10A) Engine Management Fuse Box..... 12v to low speed relay
Fuse #12 (30A) Engine Compartment Fuse Box..... 12v to High speed fan
Fuse #14 (30A) Engine Compartment Fuse box..... 12v to Relays

The thing to remember when checking the fans is:

They run in series, on low speed and in parallel on high speed.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Update:
It was a cooling fan relay. All seems well, thanks for the assistance.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,017 Times in 894 Posts
gus@jagrepair.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Gus

Kudos to you!

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 120,000mi K&N Filter
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”― W.C. Fields
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 AM

2nd Update / Follow Up Question:

Past few times, I've noticed the cooling fans stay on after I shut the car off and take the key out. It sometimes stays on for 10 to 15 seconds. This is unusual behavior for my car, especially since the weather has been cooler in NY than the temps I've been driving around in all summer. The temp gauge reads about a tick above halfway before I take the key out, which is what it normally stays at. One thing I want to point out is that when my car overheated the 1st time, the same noise was made when I pulled over and shut the car off. Any thoughts? Is this normal? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

It will vary from car to car, the fans will tend to run for a brief period after shutdown, mine also stays on for a few seconds. Longer runs mean the water temp is showing above normal and the fans need to cool it down.

Is your water pump still the original plastic impeller kind? Flow may be causing the poor circulation, higher temps, and slower heat exchange rates thru the radiator.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Tags
1997, 1999, 2003, 2004, car, cooling, fan, fans, fuses, information, jaguar, location, radiator, relay, stays, xj8, xk120, xk8