Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Decent Cell Phone holder

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been posted someplace. I looked around but didn't find anything. If there is another link out there, just point me that way.

Backstory: I have one of the new big smart phones (HTC Thunderbolt) and I am looking for a good way to mount this monster without modifying the car! I'd like to use the GPS functions if possible, but will need to be able to plug it into the cigar lighter because this thing just eats up a battery (warning to anyone thinking about the HTC Thunderbolt! Read the reviews!)! The front window is so narrow that I can't see one of those suction cup holders working without obstructing a good portion of the view out the window. It could fit on the dash in the spot between the speedo and the oil pressure gauge (I don't have satnav), but I don't want to cover up my beautiful wood or modify the dash. I've tried sticking it in the cup holder, but it gets in the way of the gear selector and arm rest. I like how close it is to the cigar lighter when in the cup holder since I don't have to run a long charger cable around the cab, but it is not really convenient.

So, my question: Does anyone know of a good phone holder that will work in an XK8 without modification to the car?

I did just have an idea. I saw a posting by Gus about making a wood adapter that would fit were the cup holder is now. I kind of like that idea if I can match the wood style/color/finish with the rest of the interior. I could even possibly wire a usb power plug into the arm rest so that the connection would be almost invisible. At least I could open the arm rest without needing unplug or remove the phone. Hmmmm...

Thanks,
2000 Chevy Astro
"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." -Carl Rogers
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

WhiteXKR and myself have this holder from Kuda USA, color match is pretty good also. It just 'clamps' to the center console with its natural shape form and can be secured with a screw from the side (I didn't need this, it stays put very well).

Kuda's website pic -
Click the image to open in full size.

Mine

You can drill a hole in it if you want, but I didn't. I just wrap the charger around to the top. The unique approach I took to keep the phone from sliding off (it will if notice the slope of the top surface) is to secure a strong neodymium inside it, and then I taped a few thin washers on the inside of my phone's battery cover. Little snug, but they fit, the cover snaps, and it never moves. I am very happy w/ mine.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Matt,
That's wonderful! It looks like part of the Jag interior and a great place for the phone to sit.

Thanks!!!!
2000 Chevy Astro
"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." -Carl Rogers
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,252 Posts

Here is mine:

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen, Rear Window Control Mod, Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK conv., Remote Top Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilv7kW6yN6I
Old 06-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Ed-
On a different topic, you mentioned big battery drain for your HTC Thunderbolt. Just spoke with a friend that is getting one and he told me that if you turn off the 4G function and just go with the 3G, the battery lasts way longer. FYI.
=Bart
1999 Taurus SES - 110,000 miles
Click&Clack are right: cheaper to fix 'em than buy new!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Matt-
I noticed on your pictures to answer Ed C. that you replaced your Jag/Alpine stereo setup with something else - looks really clean! Can you expand on that for me?
Thanks!
1999 Taurus SES - 110,000 miles
Click&Clack are right: cheaper to fix 'em than buy new!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

sure bart, try this link for more info than you probably want

Go Texas Tech!

The Following User Says Thank You to H20boy For This Useful Post:
flydutch (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydutch View Post
Ed-
On a different topic, you mentioned big battery drain for your HTC Thunderbolt. Just spoke with a friend that is getting one and he told me that if you turn off the 4G function and just go with the 3G, the battery lasts way longer. FYI.
=Bart
Bart, Battery management is the key! They have a good set of widgets you can put on your desktop to turn the different radio's off selectively. So you can turn off the GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, and auto synch on/off individually, or you can use the "airplane" or "mobile" mode widgets to turn them off en mass.

The real killer is that if you live in a 4G area (I do) you can not select between 3G and 4G. The 3G seems to use up the battery like any other cell phone, but 4G (or GPS) eats it up. HTC and Verizon are working on a firmware fix to get more life out the the battery.

I'm just getting used to doing power management and plugging in all the time. The cost of watching YouTube remotely
2000 Chevy Astro
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Tags
case, cell, cellphone, cradle, handphone, holder, holders, interior, jag, jaguar, mobile, mount, phone, working, xk8