Sponsored by:

Need advise on handling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Need advise on handling issue

Ok I have a 03 with 88K on it.
I just replaced on both sides the shocks, shock mounts, upper and lower ball joints, sway bar links, upper control arm bushings, tie rod ends and the lower control arm bushings on the right side. (These were such a bitch I gave up on the left side as they looked OK) The sway bar mounts were replaced 30K ago by a previous owner.

Ride height is 15.5" and had the car aligned with no issues other than a slight caster out of spec., 5.7 on the left and 6.2 on the right. Spec is 5.9 to 7.3 left and 6.6 to 8 on right. This should not be an issue.

I drove a 97 XK8 today with 21K on it and I'm pissed. The 97 felt and handled great my 03 is still a little sloppy feeling. When I hit rough road the steering wheel will vibrate slightly, this was very bad before I did the work and is much, much better but still not as tight as the 97 I drove. Also have a slight, not sure how to describe this, fells like a bad U joint coupling in the telescopic steering connections. I can wiggle the wheel a little, up down sideways, and get a clunking feeling.

Anyway, does anybody have any advise on what I should look at next to tighten up the steering. I love this car but I want it to feel like new.

Thanks,

Old 09-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Just guessing here:
Tie rod ends and rack mount bushings?

My wheel has a little up-down play but that's because of the tilt mechanism. Side to side, I have no idea, unless like you say, it's something in the column itself.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

It could be one of the steering u-joints or maybe even the steering rack itself. As you've replaced nearly everything else there is not much else left. Something isn't right for it to act like that. I guess I am lucky that my '97 with 98k miles still drives nice and tight, no clunks etc with great handling for a car its size. Not as good handling as my recently departed '87 Alfa but very nice non-the-less.
I had an XJ6 that had similar issues and it did turn out to be the steering rack. It had worn more in the middle section than the ends so you couldn't just adjust it out with the adjustment nut on top. If you adjusted it so it was better in the middle it would then lock up once you tried to turn the wheel further but it was enough to show the rack was the problem

Dave

Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2000. Replaced most everything on the front end. Rides great but the stearing wheel vibrates with bumps, which gives a loose feel. Not sure where to look next.

There is a notice about the upper steering shaft needing an updated shaft with a rubber U joint. I haven't looked into this yet.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, tie rod ends were replaced but I did not replace the inner tie rods. Steering rack may be the problem, I had the boots/ gators off and the rack is not leaking but the vibration was so bad before, think this was due to bad lower ball joints, that it may have caused the steering rack to wear also.

The rack rubber mounts may also be an area to look at.

DaveInVA, can you detail the rack adjustment you mention? By the way I lived in Lynchburg for several years, nice driving in that part of the state.

Johns55, any details on the steering shaft work you mention?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 AM

The rack rubber mounts are on the attachment points of the rack (where the bolts are). Mine look fine, although I will replace them as they are cheap. I did replace the inner and outer tie rod with no change. The steering is responsive so I am not sure if the rack is the problem.

Do you feel any looseness when steering?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm not sure if the XK8's have that same adjustment. On my XJ6 the rack had a screw with a locknut on top that adjusted a piece of nylon that pushed on the top of the rack inside to make up for play as it wore. Unfortunately they seem to wear more in the middle as thats the section that gets the most use so when I tightened it so it seemed normal in the middle of the steering range the rack would lock up if you tried turning the wheel more of center. I ended up getting a rebuilt rack.

Edit: I just looked at the rack diagram and it doesn't appear to have that adjustment. However if the mounting bushes were worn the entire rack could slide around a bit and that might also cause the vibration. Also I read somewhere that the splines on the column shaft can wear on these causing handling problems also.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 09-19-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

DaveInVa, thanks

Johns55, no the steering is not loose as in the feeling you would get if a tie rod end was worn out or in a pitmen arm system when the pitmen are would wear, steering wheel turns but the wheels do not. I have no left to right play in the wheel.

However I would describe it as loose do to the vibration/wiggle feel when hitting a rough patch in the road. It's not much but the steering wheel will noticeably vibrate and sometimes if it rough enough the whole steering column vibrates.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

How are the tires? Balance, wear from before repairs were made, and what brand, some tires just ride harder then others.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

I had to change my steering rack a couple of months ago due to a leak. I used a second hand non refurbed unit, all ok except I now have a 1/4 rotational play at the steering wheel with no tyre/wheel movement which I did not have before.

I am not sure why, but my gut feel is that the play is coming from the U-joint at the bottom of the rack but I have not bothered to get underneath to check so it may be play in the rack.

I pick up the car from the paint shop tomorrow and over the next few days will put on my new lower arm poly bush set, when I am under there I will check to see if it is the rack or U-joint and report back.

The following users liked this post:
Jandreu (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
DaveInVa, thanks

Johns55, no the steering is not loose as in the feeling you would get if a tie rod end was worn out or in a pitmen arm system when the pitmen are would wear, steering wheel turns but the wheels do not. I have no left to right play in the wheel.

However I would describe it as loose do to the vibration/wiggle feel when hitting a rough patch in the road. It's not much but the steering wheel will noticeably vibrate and sometimes if it rough enough the whole steering column vibrates.
Yeah, that's exactly the way I would describe how mine feels. That's with new inner and outer tie rods. I checked the brackets that hold the steering column and they are tight and solid. It has to be coming from either the rack or the spline in the upper column.

I will be ordering new rubber bushes for the rack. When I get those in, I'll let you know if it helps.

Jandreu (09-19-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Jandreu, could you try something that seems to have worked for me. I moved my steering wheel all the way in towards the dashboard, and down as low as I could put it and not hit my legs. My wife and I took a nice long drive along the river, about 30 miles. The steering column felt 90% better. Could you try this and see if it makes a difference for you.

I am thinking that if it does help your situation, then the problem is in the steering column and not the rack.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johns55
Jandreu, could you try something that seems to have worked for me. I moved my steering wheel all the way in towards the dashboard, and down as low as I could put it and not hit my legs. My wife and I took a nice long drive along the river, about 30 miles. The steering column felt 90% better. Could you try this and see if it makes a difference for you.

I am thinking that if it does help your situation, then the problem is in the steering column and not the rack.
I'll give a shot on Sunday, thanks.

I do drive with it all the way in but not all the way down. This would put the steering volume u joints at there extreme limits I would think.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johns55

Johns55, well I tried this today on a short drive over roads that have caused issues in the past and I am surprised to report the steering did feel better. Go figure, not sure about this and I'll continue to evaluate but I suspect there are likely multiple causes. Having the steering adjustment U joint at max angle may mitigate the problem or the steering U joint may be the problem, not sure. Something n the parts that contact the road must initiate the vibration to be transmitted thru the steering column.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Johns55, well I tried this today on a short drive over roads that have caused issues in the past and I am surprised to report the steering did feel better. Go figure, not sure about this and I'll continue to evaluate but I suspect there are likely multiple causes. Having the steering adjustment U joint at max angle may mitigate the problem or the steering U joint may be the problem, not sure. Something n the parts that contact the road must initiate the vibration to be transmitted thru the steering column.
Yes, this is what I also think. It does seem that this removes the rack from being a possible problem. Something worn in the shaft.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

My car is up on jack stands now so I will post up a video of the u-joint slack tonight.

Jandreu (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Well the U-joint is not the culprit on my car, looks like my second hand rack is worn. This free play at the wheel results in no movement of the track rods.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

RD, that s**ks.