Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
+1 ??

I doubt I will ever use the valet key. If I could use it for this mod I would do so.
The car will not start without a transponder present near the ignition mechanism. Therefore, if the valet key starts it, I assume it must have a transponder inside.

If I remember correctly, the difference is that the valet key is cut in a manner that does not allow access to a trunk. However, you could use the transponder from the valet key, and then get a new tibbe blade cut to duplicate your regular key.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by pomosv
The car will not start without a transponder present near the ignition mechanism. Therefore, if the valet key starts it, I assume it must have a transponder inside.

If I remember correctly, the difference is that the valet key is cut in a manner that does not allow access to a trunk. However, you could use the transponder from the valet key, and then get a new tibbe blade cut to duplicate your regular key.

Good luck!
But since the remote is at hand with whichever blade is installed, the valet key would be fine since the remote can be used to operate the trunk.

Of course, for the paranoid, the valet key can be modified to be a master key by simply filing down the diameter of the tip.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm usually pretty good at these kind of cool projects but I've only got one key. :-(
Couple questions before I order a new kit to have cut.
Do I need to make sure the donor flip fob has matching codes on the back like I did with my replacement fob I just purchased? I know they have to be a certain kind to be re programmable.
And I found an aftermarket replacement key that has to have the transponder programmed to car with existing key. Presumably at the dealer? Or can a locksmith do it? And I wonder if this key will work for swap? As long as I can get a second key, I'd gladly give up factory key to make this!!
I REALLY want this!!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Transponders

I broke the transponder doing the mod and the keys are expensive, but found a source for the transponders on Ebay. If you have to have the key recoded suggest you do the transplant then pay to have the key reintroduced to the car. That way if you break the transponder you are only out $20 and not the $100 or so it costs to have the key introduced (apparently only the dealer can do this unless someone has another method).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-Ja...879a56&vxp=mtr

Last edited by enderle; 08-24-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by pomosv

Good luck!
An update on using the valet key to get a transmitter. It works just fine! I took the dremel to it today and now I have a switchblade fob working with my XK8. Awesome!

The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Well my conversion is underway I chopped up the valet key today using just a Dremel cut off disc. I'm still waiting for the new parts to show up.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-dsc03532_zps03cf16bb.jpg   DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-dsc03533_zpsca1ac6ea.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

^^ nice work Norri ^^

Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Mine is finished now, it didn't really take all this time!

I used xenophobes method and cut off the head of the key short enough to allow the pin to pass tightly in front of the large section with no slot.

This allowed the original keyring to remain as standard.

pomosv mentioned that the XK transponder was longer than the S Type one, mine was much smaller (bottom one in the pic) I wrapped it with a couple of turns of masking tape to stop it from rattling in the slot and fixed with a glob of glue.

I haven't filed off the tip to make it a universal key instead of just a valet so that's next.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-dsc03560_zps83b93d25.jpg   DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-dsc03571_zps2c53c005.jpg   DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-dsc03570_zps92becee8.jpg   DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-dsc03562_zpsb8e82114.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Finished mine, everything worked great. Thanks for all of the insight above. Also, my 2002 was very finicky getting the car to go into program mode. Had to flash the turn signal just at the right speed. So, keep trying. Everything else was straight forward. My transponder was also much smaller than the one that came with the remote.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Question for Mr. Feathers, were you able to program the new remote to your 97? Mine is a 97 also and I'm interested in go ahead with this project. All the others that followed this thread have post 97 XK's.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I broke the transponder doing the mod and the keys are expensive, but found a source for the transponders on Ebay. If you have to have the key recoded suggest you do the transplant then pay to have the key reintroduced to the car. That way if you break the transponder you are only out $20 and not the $100 or so it costs to have the key introduced (apparently only the dealer can do this unless someone has another method).

2000 2006 Jaguar XK XJ Transponder Chip Key | eBay

I cracked my transponder I have a XK key blank already how and what are the procedures for getting the new one programed or reintroduced?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM

You will need to take it to the dealer or someone with the equipment to do the programming.
If you still want to do the flip key do as enderle suggests and swap the transponder before doing any programming.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
You will need to take it to the dealer or someone with the equipment to do the programming.
If you still want to do the flip key do as enderle suggests and swap the transponder before doing any programming.

So does that mean I must have the car towed there? My problem is I have another factory key that I haven't touched and also a key blank that I brought. Could a locksmith or dealer program the blanks transponder without the car maybe using the old key(not really sure how the procedure works) Im just not sure im understanding your comment on swapping the transponder before doing the programming all the functions of the buttons on my flip key fob work but the car wont crank when the key is turned to that position all the lights and radio come on so im guessing the cracked transponder is the culprit

Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have another factory key, I assume that it has its own transponder which should work with your car. Have you tried it?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by renaultvation
If you have another factory key, I assume that it has its own transponder which should work with your car. Have you tried it?
That was my thought, you still need to fit a transponder into the flip key to make it work but there is no point spending money programming it until it is safely installed in the flip fob.

If you don't have a working key then yes, you will need to get the car to the programmer unless you can find a mobile one.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
That was my thought, you still need to fit a transponder into the flip key to make it work but there is no point spending money programming it until it is safely installed in the flip fob.

If you don't have a working key then yes, you will need to get the car to the programmer unless you can find a mobile one.
Yes I do have a working factory key and it does work. I guess I could try to hack the transponder out safely from this key I didn't have a heat gun the first time so mabe I'll get one this time. Not 100% sure the technique everyone has used with it? And only other thing is can the transponders from my blank uncoded keys be programmed so that I have extra transponders incase I do more flip keys

Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought a flop key and it now works to start the car. But I cant get it to work the security and locking system. Even using the dealer software (at an independant) we know the remote is giving a signal, but my 99 UK xk8 won't register the key.
Is there a certain reference or year number I should have bought?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I am in the same boat, I bought an x type flip key form ebay but so far have not been able to programme it to the car. Not cut the chip out of any original keys ( valet key is going to be the donor key ), so no harm done. Should be able to tape an original key to the shroud around the ignition key to act as a transponder and then mess around with the flip key programing. This way if it does not work nothing is lost or damaged.
I had doubts about whether my 1999 coupe could be programmed with this new style key as the frequencies are no the same. However there are several others with similar reg cars that have it working as normal so I assumed it was me not doing the correct procedure. I will follow this thread with great interest in case there is something I have missed.
Cheers,
Arty

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI, on getting the transponder out without a heat gun. I ended up not using my heat gun but rather used my benchtop belt sander (med grit). I slowly sanded around where I knew the transponder was, checking frequently, not sanding much at a time. When I got very close to the unit I actually used an xacto knife to whittle away the rubber right around the unit. Total time was less than 15 minutes. It came out surprisingly easy. So, it can be done without using the heat gun.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by workoutman0011
Yes I do have a working factory key and it does work. I guess I could try to hack the transponder out safely from this key I didn't have a heat gun the first time so mabe I'll get one this time. Not 100% sure the technique everyone has used with it? And only other thing is can the transponders from my blank uncoded keys be programmed so that I have extra transponders incase I do more flip keys
The uncoded transponders can be programmed BUT if you damage the one in your working key you will be needing a tow truck.
Why not cut the un-programmed transponder out of the spare key put it in the flip unit then take it for pairing then there is no chance of being stranded.

Originally Posted by regger21
FYI, on getting the transponder out without a heat gun. I ended up not using my heat gun but rather used my benchtop belt sander (med grit). I slowly sanded around where I knew the transponder was, checking frequently, not sanding much at a time. When I got very close to the unit I actually used an xacto knife to whittle away the rubber right around the unit. Total time was less than 15 minutes. It came out surprisingly easy. So, it can be done without using the heat gun.
I didn't use a heat gun either just pared away carefully with the Dremel.

Quick Reply: DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures