XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Programming 98 XK8 Transponder Key? (Not the key fob)

Old 12-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Motorcarman,
Your leaving out some important information. Where does one get the Jaguar Software? and what's the cost of the software?
Just wondering.

Chuck
XK8
This Jaguar Diagnostics clone system is the easiest, most available route that avoids a potentially aggravating installation process: Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

I have successfully programmed additional XK8/R keys with it. I am not affiliated with this seller or this product.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-18-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Because you guys always go oon the cheap, the jag dealer is going to charge you twice. Once for the key and once for programming the car to accept the keys.

My experience is that when i order a new key, i just pay for the key and cutting, and they programming was done for free!

Make sure all the keys are available during the programming session as well to not find out that one of the keysat home is not working anymore,
Hi, i am in Florida and after reading your comment I thought i hit the solution to my issue which is the same as the one described in this thread, so I called the local Jaguar service department and asked how it would work and how much it would cost to replace a key... their response is that there is a charge for the key and there is a separate charge for the programing of the key code to the security system.

and they insist the car must be present.

Thank you,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 12-28-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by MR. CJ
After much research, I do not believe that it is possible to program a Jaguar transponder key without a direct connection to the vehicles transponder/security unit (98-99 transponder keys "I think" may be able to be programmed away from vehicle.) I have not yet thrown out the option of having a key and transponder programmed in a test platform (or another car) and subsequently installed back in car. I would suspect that the modules have a unique code that is "synched" when the programming process is performed.

I would also suspect that this type of security system has prevented more registered owners from starting their cars than it had prevented thieves from stealing such cars.

Hello CJ, I share the same feeling as you do on this scam, I am going through the exact same problem and i too just cannot swallow accepting this high expense just because my battery drained and my key code is now no longer recognized by the security module.

Please be so kind to let me know if you found an alternative solution.

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 12-28-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have no problem configuring the key transponders to Jaguars from 1998 to 2006 as I have WDS version 43 (Jaguars latest up to 2006)

Anyone can program keys with the WDS and the Jaguar software. There are Ford WDS units on eBay and lots of people have Ford, Jaguar and Aston Martin software CDs to load onto the PTU.

Step 1
Buy a WDS for $300 to $500

Step 2
Load the Jaguar software

Step 3
Configure modules, program keys, read all modules, watch real time data and clear codes etc.

If you buy another Hard Drive you can load Ford software on it and do the same thing with Ford cars.

Just a thought!!!

bob gauff
Hi Bob, thanks so much for giving us hope about there being at least a possibility to accomplish this task ourselves, feels great to know we may not necessarily have to accept getting taken to the cleaners.

It seems that many locksmiths can cut and program just the key, but it is still not clear on whether a locksmith can be hired to program the key to the security system to de-immobilize the car, for a rate significantly less enough to justify the risk of a servicer with potentially less experience than the Jaguar techs.

In any case most of us would just rather do it ourselves and this is what i have found thus far...

Precut and pre- programed key provider: Jaguar TBE1T5 XJ-Series 1998-99 / XK-Series 1997-99 (BlueRocket) [BRK-TBE1T5] - $7.89 : American Key Supply, The Locksmith's Source for Keys & Tools

There is an outfit on ebay selling what he claims can perform the reprograming etc..

Software and plug kit Link: Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

What are your thoughts about these suppliers and what they are offering?

If you agree that what these people are offering can get the job done, once this program is loaded onto my laptop ;

For my 1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible;

1. What do I do exactly, and in what order?

2. How do I get my key code read to copy its code to the security module, where do i put the key for it to be read? In the ignition?

3. The sellers video shows that all one has to do is enter the VIN then go to the correct section and follow the steps, what will be the steps, are they just common sense fill in the blanks or what task can we expect to have to perform exactly?

I know my questions may seem silly but we/I have never gone down that road before and these potential solution are not cheap.

Also the way you stated "Step 3" to me is somewhat vague, I would really appreciate if you can please go into detail about that ,

or even better, if it's not too much to ask,
you would be my and many others' hero if you can show/upload a video demostration including what is happening on the laptop screen and what you are doing at the vehicle for every step.

I do have experience working on cars and i also am pretty well versed with programs and computers, but it would be great to get an insider pointers before commiting to the expense and to get into this with an educated sense of security, i just don't have a clue what will be expected to completely accomplish this task successfully.

Thank you so much,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 12-28-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by MR. CJ
Just going through my posts and I see I had not answered this one. It turned out, the only thing preventing my 98 XK8 from starting was the key programming. I think the statements from the dealer crossed many different channels before the message got to me that the car was not able to communicate with the dealer scan tool. The battery was replaced, 1 hour Jaguar dealer labor for key programming + new key, and the car started right up. No problems since, not even a battery drain. So, what could have been a big issues costing a lot of money turned out to be the key. Unfortunately, I only had one key that I got with the car, and that key lost its memory.

The DIY key programming with non-dealer tools that I found were not compatible. The programming has a unique incode/outcode encryption that makes it very difficult to just copy a key. Motorcarman's steps are correct. So, turns out, that for key programming, the dealer, for once, is actually the cheapest alternative in my case. One recommendation, always have two working keys on hand, this will save you a lot of trouble in the future.
Hello CJ, I am currently experiencing the exact same problems, battery drains then no more ability to start the car.

So what was causing the battery drain?
Was it a bad battery or something else, what was done to make it that you no longer have battery drains?

You also stated that if you had a spare key that it might have made all the difference, but if the programing was lost at the security module, wouldn't a second identical key also be useless until reprogrammed into the module?

When you stated "Unfortunately, I only had one key that I got with the car, and that key lost its memory."

did you mean the key lost its code,
or that the security module lost the key code from its (the security modules') memory?

The reason I ask is because when i spoke to the dealer they said that even if a new key was made, the new key would have to be reprogrammed into the security module. Is that just an unecessary upsell and can i just order a new key and start the car or does the new key really have to be reprogrammed into the security module?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Beav
Just in case anyone is reading this for info, here's a quick and dirty run-down of how the key/transponder works: The little black ring around the ignition key cylinder (where you slide in the ignition key) houses a coil of wire that acts as both an energizing coil and as an antenna. When the key is inserted into the cylinder a small switch detects its presence and relays that info to a computer. In return a small current is passed through the transponder coil which excites a pellet inside the key. This causes the pellet to broadcast a signal which the coil receives (remember, it is also an antenna) and sends on to the KTM - Key Transponder Module. The KTM decodes the info from the key and decides if it is a registered key and, if so, signals the ECM and BPM to allow cranking and fuel pump operation to occur. I would guess that ignition is also inhibited until the 'O.K. signal' is passed along but so far I haven't seen mention of it in Jag literature.

Anyway... the pellet in the key is NOT programmable, it has a constant value which is different from one key to the next. When programming takes place each key's value is stored in the car's computer, that is why nobody can cut and program a key then mail it to you - it just doesn't work that way.

While we're at it, keys are keys, they are not remote fobs.
Remote fobs are not transponders, they are transmitters.
Fobs (not remote fobs) are merely medallions attached to a key ring.
Transponders are devices that transmit a signal in response to receiving an incoming signal.
I'm not being ****, it just seems to cause quite a bit of confusion for those that don't know and are trying to play along at home. :-)
Hi Beav, are you sure that a key is not programmable or cut and just sent to the client?

These people seem to claim they can and do, see here Jaguar TBE1T5 XJ-Series 1998-99 / XK-Series 1997-99 (BlueRocket) [BRK-TBE1T5] - $7.89 : American Key Supply, The Locksmith's Source for Keys & Tools

and here
http://americankeysupply.com/index.p...1266144cb554a1

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
This Jaguar Diagnostics clone system is the easiest, most available route that avoids a potentially aggravating installation process: Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

I have successfully programmed additional XK8/R keys with it. I am not affiliated with this seller or this product.
Hi WhiteXKR, sounds great, so are you saying that if i purchase this from them I'll be able to program my key and its code, and/or a new/spare key and its code, to the security module so as to turn off/reset the immobilizer?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 12-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
if i purchase this from them I'll be able to program my key and its code, and/or a new/spare key and its code, to the security module
My concern with this unit is in the compatibility section it says:
"X100 XK - Full compatibility excluding flashing/programming modules"

Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
My concern with this unit is in the compatibility section it says:
"X100 XK - Full compatibility excluding flashing/programming modules"
Hi Derek, the sellers ad says he is away til January so he's not available to answer anything now, but WhiteXKR, who is quite knowledgeable, says he is using the kit, so he probably can clear up this question for us.

Thank you,
Sid

The following users liked this post:
Stumpy (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Hi Bob, thanks so much for giving us hope about there being at least a possibility to accomplish this task ourselves, feels great to know we may not necessarily have to accept getting taken to the cleaners.

It seems that many locksmiths can cut and program just the key, but it is still not clear on whether a locksmith can be hired to program the key to the security system to de-immobilize the car, for a rate significantly less enough to justify the risk of a servicer with potentially less experience than the Jaguar techs.

In any case most of us would just rather do it ourselves and this is what i have found thus far...

Precut and pre- programed key provider: Jaguar TBE1T5 XJ-Series 1998-99 / XK-Series 1997-99 (BlueRocket) [BRK-TBE1T5] - $7.89 : American Key Supply, The Locksmith's Source for Keys & Tools

There is an outfit on ebay selling what he claims can perform the reprograming etc..

Software and plug kit Link: Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

What are your thoughts about these suppliers and what they are offering?

If you agree that what these people are offering can get the job done, once this program is loaded onto my laptop ;

For my 1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible;

1. What do I do exactly, and in what order?

2. How do I get my key code read to copy its code to the security module, where do i put the key for it to be read? In the ignition?

3. The sellers video shows that all one has to do is enter the VIN then go to the correct section and follow the steps, what will be the steps, are they just common sense fill in the blanks or what task can we expect to have to perform exactly?

I know my questions may seem silly but we/I have never gone down that road before and these potential solution are not cheap.

Also the way you stated "Step 3" to me is somewhat vague, I would really appreciate if you can please go into detail about that ,

or even better, if it's not too much to ask,
you would be my and many others' hero if you can show/upload a video demostration including what is happening on the laptop screen and what you are doing at the vehicle for every step.

I do have experience working on cars and i also am pretty well versed with programs and computers, but it would be great to get an insider pointers before commiting to the expense and to get into this with an educated sense of security, i just don't have a clue what will be expected to completely accomplish this task successfully.

Thank you so much,
Sid

The WDS was the Ford/Jaguar/Mazda/Aston Martin dealer diagnostic machine issued in the late 1990s to 2006. It will do everything we did at the dealer for cars up to 2006.

There are software 'reflash' updates that will not be current because software support ended in 2006.

The unit is Windows 98 based so it has all the faults of that system.
The software 'crashes' (as Win 98 did so often) and it is a slow machine (Pentium I 233mhz) by today's standard.

The training class was a several day ordeal and years of daily use gives you insight as to how it works and it's limits/eccentricities.

I have neither the time nor desire to go through an online training course to explain the use of WDS (or IDS for that matter as they are similar).

I have uploaded my Jaguar 'student training guide' for WDS and I think others have done this also. There is a load of info in the LARGE FILE DOWNLOAD AREA for WDS and/or IDS.

Many of us on the forum can walk through specific procedures related to the functions of the WDS.

You just need to ask a question about the procedure.

bob gauff

Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Hi Derek, the sellers ad says he is away til January so he's not available to answer anything now, but WhiteXKR, who is quite knowledgeable, says he is using the kit, so he probably can clear up this question for us.

Thank you,
Sid
The particular unit/software I referenced will program keys on the X100 but though it can reflash some models of Jaguar modules, as described, it does not support reflashing on the X100.

Other sources may sell a version that can reflash modules, but as Bob said, without a subscription you are not necessarily getting an up to date load.