XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVR Install (A118)

Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DVR Install (A118)

I'd like to install this little DVR in front of the mirror. From what I can glean from available schematics, it appears that there is a B+ line going up into the "Tint" mirror device. The vanity and map lights are enabled full time, so they are not a reasonable candidates. I expect that the rear view mirror "Tint" function would only be energized with outboard lights and/or key On.

So if the (switched) 12vdc is available up there, it would make for a much more elegant installation. Just guessing cam draws maybe 100ma @5vdc .. haven't checked it yet. A little TO-92 regulator is good for 100ma (12vdc to 5vdc). Anybody done this yet .. can anyone verify the switched 12vdc up there? TIA

Old 11-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a dash cam mounted behind my rear view mirror and I ran a wire up from the fuse panel on the driver (left) side of the dash, up the A-pillar, across the header, and down behind the mirror. The A-pillar is easy to remove, as is the header. I my opinion, this would be easier than trying to connect power and ground to the mirror wiring, and you aren't risking messing with those electronics, especially the BPM.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 11-26-2014 at 05:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
attaboy (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I have a dash cam mounted behind my rear view mirror and I ran a wire up from the fuse panel on the driver (left) side of the dash, up the A-pillar, across the header, and down behind the mirror. The A-pillar is easy to remove, as is the header. I my opinion, this would be easier than trying to connect power and ground to the mirror wiring, and you aren't risking messing with those electronics, especially the BPM.
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. When you say "header" I'm guessing you mean Headliner? I failed to mention .. my XK8 is a convertible .. headliner is in the top, as it were. Glad you found an elegant solution though .. also I'm guessing that your fuse-box connection was to a switched circuit, and your cam/dvr works of off 12 volts. I'll look into it .. very low current consumption .. 26ga twin-lead would work just fine .. should be easier to wrangle in there somewhere. Cheers!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by attaboy
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. When you say "header" I'm guessing you mean Headliner? I failed to mention .. my XK8 is a convertible .. headliner is in the top, as it were. Glad you found an elegant solution though .. also I'm guessing that your fuse-box connection was to a switched circuit, and your cam/dvr works of off 12 volts. I'll look into it .. very low current consumption .. 26ga twin-lead would work just fine .. should be easier to wrangle in there somewhere. Cheers!
Hi, I meant header, not headliner. I too have a convertible. The header I refer to is the entire piece across the top of the windshield - interior. It is the piece that the sun visors are attached to, where the center light console is mounted to, etc. This header piece is fairly easy to remove. I re-covered mine along with the a-pillar trim pieces at the same time with new headliner material. The wire can be run behind/inside the a pillars, then across the top, and down the center area where the rear view mirror is mounted, Ned then reinstall the header. Yes, my dash cam is a 12 volt unit, frankly I guess I would expect all would be since that would be the simplest to manufacture, it surprises me they aren't all 12v. Anyhow, I wouldn't wire it to the electronics as you are thinking, just for fear of messing up the delicate wires and delicate electronics balance. I know the current draw is minimal, just saying... And running the wire from the fuse panel, even with trim pieces removal etc should not take more than an hour or two. Also, yes I wired to a switched fuse, so it turns on when I start the car.

I suppose if it were me and I had a 5 volt unit, I might consider wiring an actual adapter in to the fuse panel. I assume your cam came with a cigarette lighter adapter? You could hide it behind the kick panel. Just my thoughts.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you remove the windshield header piece in the XKR convertible?
Thanks