Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Next Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Front End Next Up

When I got the car I new I had front end issues. Rattling of bushings and the tops of the tires leaning in and it clearly sitting lower then normal up front. I am about an inch or a little more low up front. I know the top mounts are shot seeing the material they were made from coming out of the top of the strut towers in the engine bay.
I have to think that those bad top mounts alone are not alone making it sit so low and allowing the tops of the tires tilt inward? Can I assume the springs are playing a part in it also at 98k miles???
The shop today also said that on the right front there is a FRAME BAR BUSHING that is bad? WTH is that?
They say I need end links and sway bar bushings. Control arms......

Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Can you replace just the bushings in the control arms or so does all of it have to be replaced?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Yes the upper control arm bushings are easily replaced if you can get the bolt out. The lower control arm bushing are another story, a real PIA.

Search threads by RaceDianostic, I think he has the most posts and photos on this subject.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

The lower control arm bushings are actually easily pushed out using a press, the flanges are self-sacrifising, had mine out in a matter of minutes. If using polyurethane bushes for replacement, (I used Powerflex), they install easily, stock replacement bushes need specialty tools to properly install.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
When I got the car I new I had front end issues. Rattling of bushings and the tops of the tires leaning in and it clearly sitting lower then normal up front. I am about an inch or a little more low up front. I know the top mounts are shot seeing the material they were made from coming out of the top of the strut towers in the engine bay.
I have to think that those bad top mounts alone are not alone making it sit so low and allowing the tops of the tires tilt inward? Can I assume the springs are playing a part in it also at 98k miles???
The shop today also said that on the right front there is a FRAME BAR BUSHING that is bad? WTH is that?
They say I need end links and sway bar bushings. Control arms......

Regarding your springs question: only giving my experience here...I replaced my upper mounts with factory mounts on my 2004. Car had 65k miles when that was done, ride height went up, but still not to factory spec. Thus, my camber was still negative, -1 degree on passenger side, -1.2 on drivers side. Not too much of a problem. It can be compensated with a slight toe-in. Negative camber becomes an issue when it nears -1.8 or more. For several years I watched my camber settings, getting a wheel alignment done every oil change, about 5 month intervals (I purchased an unlimited alignment 3 year deal). Over these last couple of years since, my camber continued to go more negative little by little, to the point where I was at -1.7 and -1.5. at this state, the ride height from center of wheel hub to crown of fender was 14.5 & 14.75 inches. This became something I was not comfortable with any longer. The only replacement springs I could find were lowering springs, which I was not interested in. Plus, I didn't want the go through the hassle of compressing the springs again, as I had recently just replaced the shocks, due to lower bushings being shot. It was a hassle using the cheapo spring compressors. I had hoped the new shocks with the new lower shock bushing was going to improve ride height a bit, but it didn't. So, I fabricated a spacer to sit on top of the top shock mount, made of the white plastic cutting board material. It is very durable, and cuts easily with a jig saw. Used a hole saw for the center hole, and drilled the 3 stud holes. To install, I just pulled the lower shock bolt out, removed the 3 top shock nuts, lowered the shock/spring just enough to get the plastic spacer in, put it all back together. Ride height is now 15.25 and 15. Camber is 0 and -.2. Maybe it is my imagination, but I think the car handles and steers better now too.

I wouldn't recommend the spacer to avoid replacing worn top shock mounts, but, you likely do have worn springs contributing to low ride height and camber issues. Also, the camber eccentric bolt kit is only going to provide about 1/4 degree of camber from what I had read, so this isn't the answer either.

The following users liked this post:
jamdmyers (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

looks like I can buy front springs here...

Jaguar FRONT COIL SPRING SET - JLM20706

Old 03-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi I found XK8 front coil springs at rock auto for $62 has anyone used them?

Bill

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by billat3800ft
Hi I found XK8 front coil springs at rock auto for $62 has anyone used them?

Bill
That appears to be the rear spring, and only available in Europe, and is not in stock.