• Is Ed 'Too Tall' Jones too tall?"
• "Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?"
• "Does Elmer Fudd have trouble with the letter R?"
• "Did The Waltons take way too long to say good night?"
• "Does a ten pound bag of flour make a really big biscuit?"
• "Did the caveman invent fire?"
• "Was Abe Lincoln honest?"
• "Is the Green Shower for Jaguar convertibles inevitable?"

I think it qualifies as rhetorical, don't you?

Doug
I call it a green monster.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just scheduled my replacement. Luckily I had forewarning with a slow leak at the latch. The top is down and I'm petrified to press my luck until it's fixed!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a 2000 model, installed the pressure relief valve and the hose still blew. It's the heat - they will only last so long.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I did not mean to imply that I would not install a fix if the hoses had been replaced. That would only help me decide how soon to have it done and how often I would use the top in the meantime. After reading all this I might just have it crushed instead and get a Civic (kidding sort of).

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Default Hose fix recommendation

It's a big job to replace the hoses either in terms of money if you hire the work done or time/effort if you do it yourself.

Having just completed it myself, I would recommend using Gus' hose kit from Colliflower and installing one of the 2 pressure reduction systems to protect the remaining hoses. The kit is much superior in quality to the OEM hoses and is the same price.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 with 44k and had the green shower this weekend.I accessed the latch and found the line failed as seen in other threads.I
opted to order the splice kit from Jaguar since the rest of the hoses are
in good shape.I'll update as repairs progress since kit had to be ordered. By the way I have the resistor for pump,but these lines on top were lucky
to make it this far.

2003 XKR blk/blk

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by Jetworks
I have a 2003 with 44k and had the green shower this weekend.I accessed the latch and found the line failed as seen in other threads.I
opted to order the splice kit from Jaguar since the rest of the hoses are
in good shape.
I was under the impression Jaguar doesn't sell the kit any more because of repeated failures, It was a temporary fix. Gus can probably enlighten you on this.
Good Luck

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I was told by Jaguar in northern Va. that the short hose was not available anymore in fact only one place on line had it when I checked then. However, if they can find one on the shelf for you rest assured they will sell it to you. Installing the short hose is less expensive (the hose is about the same price as the long one) but the short fall of that hose is that you will be doing it again sooner than you think. The failures on that hose is not always at the latch most are at the connector to the old hose.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy I sure hope they can get it. I ordered p/n HJB 8256 BA per JTB 00029.
They said part was ordered and will ship asap. we will see.

2003 XKR blk/blk

Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I installed the splice kit and did not have leaks but the car died at an intersection before it had a real longevity test. Just in case you are able to find the kit, which does not come with any instructions, may I make a couple comments from my install experience.

* The threads on the 'internal to the hose screw-on connectors' are LEFT hand thread. You will spend a lot of time without accomplishing anything if you try to put them on right handed.

* Don't forget that the hoses must go back on the latch the same way they came off. Some marking tape is helpful.

* Pulling the hoses from the nylon holders within the fuse box is easily accomplished with a special Jaguar tool made from a wire coat hanger. Just bend a little hook in the end of the wire and pull the hoses loose and out the fuse panel opening.

* The cables should be pulled out through the left fascia fuse panel and cut so that the splices are made just above the fuse panel. In order to effectively accomplish that I cut them long and pushed the surplus hose back behind the kick panel.

* Once you cut the original hoses at the fuse panel try several practice splices on the cut-off portion. You will find that the hoses at the latch are very brittle and will break rather than cut. The black covering will also just flake off. If the hose is not better at the splice point you are wasting your time.

Gus's comment above should be construed to mean if anyone has the splice kit on the shelf they will be VERY happy to be rid of it. It was not a successful fix to the problem and was withdrawn by Jaguar.

Last edited by test point; 07-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question - although I understand that I should plan on replacing the hoses at some point in my '99 (I'm installing the resistor kit soon as all) would it be a good idea for me to "check" the hose condition at the latch now? I would assume that a visual inspection might give me a reasonable idea as to whether I'm on the verge of a green shower or not?

BTW Gus - thanks for posting great info on your site. I'm actually not to far from you in Warrenton, VA. I'm heading to Winchester for two meetings in the next week as well....small world!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Blast20, you've reminded me of something:

Has anyone thought about, or maybe even tried, providing some sort of reinforcement to the hose(s) that are failure-prone?

I'm not even sure what I mean exactly ... maybe something like fiberglass matting soaked in an epoxy and wrapped around a section of the hose and fitting up in the windshield header where they tend to come apart. Or maybe an expoxy putty which could be packed around the weak area.

Feasable? Could it ward off some failures? Dont know. Just sort of looking for more weapons for the anti-green shower arsenal.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If inspecting is going to make you feel better that is fine but you will need to drop the header to see that area. You do have a few openings without dropping the header to look around but not a good view.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If the black outer sheath of the hoses is peeling or is 'soft' it is just a matter of (not too much) time.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Dennis07-

I was actually thinking the same thing this morning before I got on here....you would think that because the common failure is at the end of the hose, if we were to use some truly commercial-grade aircraft can't-cut-it-with-a-skillsaw material that it might do the trick (combined of course with one of the pressure-reduction systems for longevity). Versus replacing the entire thing front to back...

Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My current car is the second with a failed hose, the first one had the full hose set replacement, no further failure while I had the car for 3 more years. On the second car I had the splice kit installed, it lasted about six months before it leaked at the splice joint and the spraying fluid lubricated the fuse panel. Fortunally no short circuits. I donated my failed hoses to Gus during his investigation. Now have the pressure reduction valve, hopefully no more failures. However I'm not going to worry about failures and raise/lower my top frequently.
Good luck on the spice kit.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Default Top Hydraulic fluid type?

What is the correct hydraulic fluid for my 2001 XK8 convertible top system and where can it be purchased (other that from Jaguar)??? I think it is the Pentosin CHF 11S but not sure.

Last edited by sdmitch; 07-30-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by blast20
... if we were to use some truly commercial-grade aircraft can't-cut-it-with-a-skillsaw material that it might do the trick (combined of course with one of the pressure-reduction systems for longevity). Versus replacing the entire thing front to back...
We're on the same page. I've started looking at a couple of epoxys and casting resins. Encouraging: at least one claims >2000 PSI strength. Half-baked idea is to form a sort of ferrule encasing the last inch or so of hose and a portion of the metal fitting. Maybe some sort of mesh embedded in it to give the material more strength in tension. Sound right?

sdmitch: You're correct on the type of fluid. Can be bought on-line much cheaper than from a dealer.

Last edited by Dennis07; 08-01-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm normally all for preventive maintenance, but seeing the cost and labor involved in replacing hoses, why not just wait until it fails?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by sdmitch
What is the correct hydraulic fluid for my 2001 XK8 convertible top system and where can it be purchased (other that from Jaguar)??? I think it is the Pentosin CHF 11S but not sure.
You are correct. It is available at most auto parts stores. I got mine at O'Reilly's for $22, in stock.

Quick Reply: Is the "Green Shower" Inevitable?