XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Parking brake is stuck on! - RESOLVED

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!! Parking brake is stuck on! - RESOLVED

99 XK8, was cleaning out a leaf or 2 just now lifted the brake to get something under it AND IT WON'T Release! Is there a trick? Where do I start, had to limp it 2 blocks back to my office at 2 MPH, hoping I wasn't destroying anything or going to catch the backs on fire. HELP!

Last edited by GGG; 08-29-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Add RESOLVED to thread title
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Lift it until there is significant tension, then press the button WHILE pulling up at the same time. Now lower the brake while keeping the button depressed.

The following 5 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Babyaardvark (08-01-2017), Greenbrook (06-07-2011), IXLLER8 (06-14-2017), joepanels (08-28-2017), OA5599 (11-18-2017)
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM

OMG....... ....worst case of stupid ever on the forum I bet, I SWEAR I Tried that...but now it works!
Ignore the man in the gold car, nothing to see here move along..............

Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

My entire first test drive in an XK8 was done with the parking brake on.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by cheaperts
OMG....... ....worst case of stupid ever on the forum I bet, I SWEAR I Tried that...but now it works!
Ignore the man in the gold car, nothing to see here move along..............

Just part of the early courtship awkwardness with these pretty girls.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default emergency brake

Don't feel bad, on the first morning after I bought my XKR, I could not get that dang e-brake unlocked and was afraid of burning the rears, so I had it towed into my mechanic, who called me and said, "What's the problem, it works perfectly!" I would swear on a stack of Bibles that I tried every combination of pulling up, letting down with pressing the button, without the button, etc. possible, but it's never happened since, so it must've been that idiot known as me. I'm sure it's happened to a lot more owners than care to admit it.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

After spending many K's getting my new XK8 road worthy, chain tentioners +, I couldn't get the cruise control to work. From past experience with other brands service dept's I was sure the Tech broke something. When I called the service writer I'm sure he could hear the anger in my voice. I wanted a new appointment. He said "look below the shift lever does the button that looks like a clock have the little red light on?" We've been friends since. Jack

Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Not to feel bad at all. The parking brake on these cars is a lot like a vestigial organ: odd, quirky and sometimes painful. The day I purchased my 2005 XKR a fiddled with the parking brake for about fifteen minutes before a caught onto holding in the button. Just hard to believe that Jaguar would consider such an outdated system.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pophen
After spending many K's getting my new XK8 road worthy, chain tentioners +, I couldn't get the cruise control to work. From past experience with other brands service dept's I was sure the Tech broke something. When I called the service writer I'm sure he could hear the anger in my voice. I wanted a new appointment. He said "look below the shift lever does the button that looks like a clock have the little red light on?" We've been friends since. Jack
I had to look in the owners manual to see what that button was for. That icon just does not say "cruise control" to me. It looks more like the "piston /connecting rod assembly has fallen out of the engine and is laying in the road" icon.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I had to read the manual twice to get the parking brake off. The cruise control wasn't a problem for me though, even though it seemed backwards that the button should be up when on rather than pressed in. Luckily the LEDs illuminate when on.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

The handbrake allows you to do stuff like this.

YouTube - Ken Block and 530 whp Subaru Impreza WRX STI

OK, the fact that that car has 530 hp and weighs 1000 pounds less also helps. But still, without the handbrake some of those moves wouldn't be possible. I've seen another version of that video where they show a view from inside the car, and he's using the handbrake quite liberally.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM

NFW....all I could think was 300.00+ per tire!

but how about the segway guy?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

At the 1:04 mark you can see him using the handbrake. I like the part where he makes the U-turn around the building and the front end of the car is pointed at the building the entire time.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they call it a "fly off" handbrake. The British used to, and maybe still do, have a auto event called "trials". It's sort of like an off road rally. In trials you use the handbrake a lot and this system they found the most efficient. As a result, it has found it's way onto lots of British "sporting" autos.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Lift it until there is significant tension, then press the button WHILE pulling up at the same time. Now lower the brake while keeping the button depressed.
Add me to the list of new Jag owners who thought they had a stuck parking brake before they read this post. Found the above explanation this morning and "fixxed" the parking brake when I was home over lunch.

B

The following users liked this post:
joepanels (08-28-2017)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess in the USA most vehicles dont have what we call a "handbrake"in the UK.Dont be fooled though,the indy i go to called me once to ask me how to release it also,i P***ed myself laughing at him.

Just something you have to get used to with a UK car!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone have any solutions to creating more space between the driver's power seat controls and the parking brake handle? I have fairly thin fingers and mine can barely work the controls. It wasn't a problem on the 2000 XK8, but the 2002 has a slightly plusher, wider seat, I think.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

It's also used as an emergency brake acting on the rear wheels. Usually situated between the front seats, it has been used by many a nervous parent teaching their offspring to drive!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Thanks to those above for the "quick fix". Use it regularly, but this time pulled a bit harder & my normal release didn't cut it.
With other lighter & sorta more playful vehicles, especially in the snow, you can temporarily with black electrical tape, tape down the release button so the handbrake does not latch-up when pulled.
Great for drifting....
Also in Canada and likely the northern US, where snow/salt corrodes stuff quick, NEVER, and I mean NEVER get into someone else's car that is a not brand spanking new and set the "foot" type parking brake. These horrid devices common to many US made vehicles is destined to SIEZE ON immediately after being depressed, never to be released again untill cut away. The only thing more frustrating is the owner's responce "..why would you ever use that??" Just generations of automatic transmissions and poor driving habits. Funnier than hell though when it doesn't involve you.
Cheers
TheCounty

Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

The first day I got my XJ-S convertible, I put the top down and up with no problem. Next morning the top would not work. Panicking, I started checking the pump, looking up the fuse number, fooling with the switch. Finally, I checked the manual and found the parking brake had to be engaged for the top to operate. BTW, while opening the trunk to check the pump I managed to break the antenna, which I had not yet learned automatically retracted when the trunk lid was raised in order to clear the rear deck spoiler. Not knowing spoiler would hit the mast, I didn't realize you had to wait a few seconds for the antenna to go down. Had the car less than 48 hours and already broke something!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!! Parking brake is stuck on! - RESOLVED