Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood vents from James Bond.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

When Jaguar first released the XKR they wouldn't do it in white as they feared the heat from the superchargers would discolour the paint. They changed their mind the following year.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Lower is better as far as rain goes, however the guy who owns the red XK has never had a problem, they do sit far enough back not to cause an issue, but it was a case of (his words) "I want them here"! So that is what I did, they do not fit 100% as they are not meant for that section of the bonnet.

Personally I want something different so I am going to do what I did to this Aston

I made the tooling to make the grilles so all I have to do is make the openings and if I can do this to a DB I sure as hell can do it to an XK
Nice led rings on the lights. Yours?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Of course

Attached Thumbnails Hood vents from James Bond.-kdb20.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

I took no offence and to be fair to the customer one off his reasons was he wanted to be different, he often achieves that.

And to the answer the comment about the intention of the vents, you are quite right, the purpose is to relieve the heat from the engine, however on a XK8 this us not an issue, where as they will have a functional purpose in one way or another, in this scenario it is a cosmetic/aesthetics thing, well it is in my case

Happy new year
I totally trust your suggestions so can you definitively tell me what if any modifications to the engine bay are necessary to protect from any water that makes it inside. Looks like there are some modules in that location. (Factory location)
One other question, couldn't I actually use factory vents and just cut the holes a bit smaller? Since these bond vents sit on top of the bonnet, wouldn't the factory do the same? At least they would look factory.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I am planning to put the DB vents quite high up if not similar to my customers location, due to the style of the vent I believe it will look best there, not sure I am going to go mad and double up like I did on the Aston as I also will have fender vents too.....

I am not going to worry about under the hood until I have actually fitted the vents and see what happens, the only issue my customer has had is water has damaged the aluminium induction pipe fitted

You could I suppose fit the factory vents, you would have to trim the bottom edge down and they would still sit very proud, unless of course you cut a hole and just to point out, the Bond style vents still require quite a large hole for them to sit into, when I fit them to 8s I still cut a hole the same as an R........ Of course you could fit X150 vents

The following users liked this post:
philhef (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hood vents from James Bond.-image.jpg
Finally found a pic of them in matching body color and I thinki really like them. I assumed they were made to fit in existing r holes so I'll cut the right size. Looks like these cover the holes pretty well.
What's the best tool to use to cut. I used a dremel with a saw disk to cut a hole in my XF boot to install a lit growler badge.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Of course

I swear Tony, sometimes I wish I lived in the UK just so I could be close to your shop.

Mark

Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by mjlaris
I swear Tony, sometimes I wish I lived in the UK just so I could be close to your shop.

Mark
The shipping costs are killing me...

Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Trust me Mark I have thought about moving stateside. I would do so much better and Rob would pay so much less in shipping lol

There is another option, I can produce a composite hood (I have a mould for the R), you can do anything you want, I can even fit the bond vents and make them look like they are a part of the hood rather than an add on.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by graham11
seams to be a lot of interest in us guys that would like to fit these type of vents or the xkr vents to the xk8 without going to the expence of obtaineing a xkr bonnet or cutting out the holes even just for cosmetic looks ,wouldent you have thought someone out there would be able to desine these that just stick flush to the bonnet,need adamesh, paragon, or such to look into this,come on guys get it sorted, I would buy some tomorrow if that was the case

I just saw this post........ I see where you are coming from but for me this would be a bit of a no go, I like to do things that are functional when it comes to body modifications, sure I do a lot of stuff for looks but it also has a purpose...
Just to stick some vents on goes against the grain, plenty of types on ebay.....

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Trust me Mark I have thought about moving stateside. I would do so much better and Rob would pay so much less in shipping lol

There is another option, I can produce a composite hood (I have a mould for the R), you can do anything you want, I can even fit the bond vents and make them look like they are a part of the hood rather than an add on.
Our make a fortune off me!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Just a thought

It strikes me that a nose that had AM elements like the one Phil's friend is looking to make coupled with a hood that had the AM vents might make for a stunning mod. Just saying...

As a side note I had the X150 vents that Adamesh sells on my car and was driving down the freeway after having them custom painted. There was so much pressure that one blew off the car with so much force all I saw was a blur as it sailed over my roof. Was thinking that I accidently had a James Bond mod, "quick blow the vent". A lot of air goes through those vents. I got another set to mess with but actually think they may be too restrictive. Currently I have the Mina metal vents fitted, the force of the air going through them seems to keep the engine surprisingly dry.

Last edited by enderle; 01-02-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Phil. I know it has been a while - what did you wind up doing? I'm thinking the same thing - I like the vents, and would love to find an XKR bonnet, but no luck so far. I want something functional, stock looking, that doesn't look like a stick-on. Something I can cut a hole for, but not have to be so exact that I'd freak out about getting it wrong. Thanks, Steve

Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rauscs
Hi Phil. I know it has been a while - what did you wind up doing? I'm thinking the same thing - I like the vents, and would love to find an XKR bonnet, but no luck so far. I want something functional, stock looking, that doesn't look like a stick-on. Something I can cut a hole for, but not have to be so exact that I'd freak out about getting it wrong. Thanks, Steve
I actually had MINA Gallery custom make a pair of the Arden raised vent covers. The Arden ones have actual openings with mesh in them but the set Mina had with my Arden style ground effects kit were just speed humps with no opening so they looked strange.
I had fhem re-design them just like the Arden with mesh portions at the top. I went with stainless mesh to match my grille. I've since actually cut two holes under them and it really helps with cooling off the engine. I used door edge guard to finish the edges of the holes so they look clean. And I love seeing the touch of mesh repeated on the bonnet. I can see it while driving!!
Oh, if you're interested, be SURE to contact chris at mina and specify the ones he made with mesh for phillip Hefner. You may get the original ones that looked, well, like *****!! Lol

Last edited by philhef; 03-03-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

I've had tons of great comments at car events.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

They look really good in person and I think they flow with the curves of our cars. And since Arden is sort of an approved custom Jaguar company, I think they work. The big plus is they don't need any cutting if you don't want to. I used auto badge tape to install. I did leave a small space at the bottom between the tape so any water could drain out.
At Jag and British car shows, it's always a favorite!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Old thread, but I have to ask...where can the James Bond style vents be sourced?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Adamesh....... Or I can do you some but they wont have the fixings as I prefer to bond them on but then again ours are cheaper.....

Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil - thanks, those look really good....

XKRacer - I am assuming that the "Bond" vents will need to have the XKR-shaped hole cut in the bonnet for either the Adamesh or your solution? Even given that, the vents will sit proud on the bonnet - anyone have opinions if this looks stick-on?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty close to it to be fair....... And yes they look stuck on unless you go through the hassle of blending them..... Which with the heat from the engine could cause cracking issues...

I shall be selling the hood from my track car pretty soon if anyone is interested..... Thats a bit different but will require some mods to the car before you can fit it

Last edited by XKRacer; 03-03-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Hood vents from James Bond.