XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Let The Convertible Top Up & Down Manually ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow How Do You Let The Convertible Top Up & Down Manually ?

I like dropping the top down all the time but Im worried about they hydraulic problem everyone seems to be happening. With that being said is there a way for me to manually open & close the convertible top ? Will this prevent the hydraulic problem from happening ? DIY instructions will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Yes you can let the top down manually; however it is more aggravation than it is worth. You can go to my page and read about the process. This system is equipped with switches and hydraulic system that if not satisfied with the last event it will not go to the next. For example if your rams are not fully extended when the top is closed the rear quarter windows will not operate (close).

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-15-2017)
Old 12-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top

Hi Gus I have read where the rear windows are to go up upon the hitting of the center console switch between the power window switches. This is not the case when I do this function. When I hit the switch i hear nothing. I looked at the 30 amp fuse in the compartment on the passenger side and-it is intact. What can I do? Thanks

linkspider (10-18-2013)
Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The rear quarter windows should go up by using the 'raise' button on the shift console but all 'top locked' conditions have to be satisfied before the windows will function.

First try using the manual key to unlock the latch and re-latch it. If no results, check the window lift fuses in the trunk fuse box, numbers 12 and 20.

Next you can choose between manually cycling the top down and back up and latched or pulling the window lift relays and jump the contacts. Instructions for manually cycling the top are in your owners manual. The manual is available at the top of this forum if you do not have it.

The relays are the smaller double relay sets outside the trunk fuse box. Left and right are left and right. Up are forward, down are rear. Pull a relay and you will see a schematic on the side of the brown box. Use a straightened paper clip to jump the appropriate contacts in the relay socket. You also can use a voltmeter there to verify that you are getting power to the relay and also power to the relay windings when the switch is operated.

If all that doesn't identify the problem, come back and we will try again. If it does, please come back and let us know.

Orthodixie (09-18-2019)
Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I did this quickly because the wife wants to go shopping. Let me know if I missed something.

You are not going to like what I am about to tell you and that is to open and close the roof using the open and close button. Doing this you will be verifying that all is working properly.

If all is working properly and you insist in operating the roof manually you will need to understand how it works. This roof is both electrical and hydraulic and all must be working properly and in sequence. The switches are 3 located in the header and 2 located in the right rear ram. You have 2 relays and the icing on the cake is upon your selecting open/close command the body processer and you security processer making all this work together. Operating this roof manually could cause it to become confused and inoperative.

To open the roof:
If you insist in operating the roof manually you can do this by opening the windows electrically by pressing the open button until they are retracted, open the petcock at the pump to release the hydraulic pressure, unlatch the latch at the header with the allen wrench, release both rams left and right by applying pressure to the top of the rams located behind the rear windows. Note: do not bend or force them you will reduce the integrity of the roof interlocking. Once you have done that you can now open the roof and retract the header latch with the allen wrench.

To close the roof:
To close the roof you just pull the roof to the closed position, open the roof header latch and latch the roof manually. Then you will need to do one of two things, manually latch both the left and right rams . That means that you will need to apply upward force to the roof mechanism at both rams. If this is not possible you will need to go to the pump and close the petcock and press the closed button this will apply hydraulic pressure to the rams to close them. Note: if the rams are not closed properly the windows will not go up. The right ram has switches that if they are not satisfied you will get no power to the windows to close them. Once you close the roof rams properly then you should be able to close the windows electrically by pressing the close roof button.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
Orthodixie (09-18-2019), Tony Vasquez (03-11-2022)
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Its 90 degrees today I want to let my top down. I just wish we could do this easy to prevent the green monster.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Talking Green Monster?

Jealously? Whats green monster refer too?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

panhof, he's referring to the shower (don't know where monster came from) from leaking hydraulic fluid from the overhead light console. Guess what...its green.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Default Green OOZE

Ah weird is this a symptom of the XK8,sounds real messy! I have the more antiquated JAG the XJS vert... Thanks for the info!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jagxkrtoofast
Take your upper console apart and look at your hoses to see what condition they are in. A lot of them will be weathered and frayed. These cars are made to be used. Mine never broke it developed a small leak so there wasn't a shower. Quit worrying about it and enjoy.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Here a link for Jaguar site, that you can download the owners handbook for your particular vehicle. Convertible top section will give you information to lower or raise the top. Be careful, you can ruin the top if you don't follow the instructions. I hope this will help.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extfree2viewjagprod/servlet/peachviewfile?t=1279618566931/index.htm

Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Thumbs up How to go TOPLESS!

Originally Posted by georgekale
Here a link for Jaguar site, that you can download the owners handbook for your particular vehicle. Convertible top section will give you information to lower or raise the top. Be careful, you can ruin the top if you don't follow the instructions. I hope this will help.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extfree2viewjagprod/servlet/peachviewfile?t=1279618566931/index.htm
Now this is an excellent reference, Thanks so much!

Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is fallen rear window jamming top down process?

I have a 98 XK8 convertible where the left rear window slipped off the rail and fell into the sidewall. I think it may be jamming the mechanism from lowering when I try to lower the top. When I press the top down button there is a slight noise but then nothing. Does this sound logical? What can I do to fix?
Thank you in advance.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sounds like you will need to replace the regulator for the window. See if this link helps.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...lacement-2.pdf

Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks! Looks like a great reference. Do you know of an easy way to get the window out from under the lifting mechanism? Could it be blocking the rail and shorting the sequence.

As for the right side, should it operate if the left side is blocked?

Old 09-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I did this quickly because the wife wants to go shopping. Let me know if I missed something.

You are not going to like what I am about to tell you and that is to open and close the roof using the open and close button. Doing this you will be verifying that all is working properly.

If all is working properly and you insist in operating the roof manually you will need to understand how it works. This roof is both electrical and hydraulic and all must be working properly and in sequence. The switches are 3 located in the header and 2 located in the right rear ram. You have 2 relays and the icing on the cake is upon your selecting open/close command the body processer and you security processer making all this work together. Operating this roof manually could cause it to become confused and inoperative.

To open the roof:
If you insist in operating the roof manually you can do this by opening the windows electrically by pressing the open button until they are retracted, open the petcock at the pump to release the hydraulic pressure, unlatch the latch at the header with the allen wrench, release both rams left and right by applying pressure to the top of the rams located behind the rear windows. Note: do not bend or force them you will reduce the integrity of the roof interlocking. Once you have done that you can now open the roof and retract the header latch with the allen wrench.

To close the roof:
To close the roof you just pull the roof to the closed position, open the roof header latch and latch the roof manually. Then you will need to do one of two things, manually latch both the left and right rams . That means that you will need to apply upward force to the roof mechanism at both rams. If this is not possible you will need to go to the pump and close the petcock and press the closed button this will apply hydraulic pressure to the rams to close them. Note: if the rams are not closed properly the windows will not go up. The right ram has switches that if they are not satisfied you will get no power to the windows to close them. Once you close the roof rams properly then you should be able to close the windows electrically by pressing the close roof button.
Gus, I am a newbie here and have a 99 Xk8. I have read through numerous threads and haven’t been able to find any info regarding lowering the top without the pump connected. Unfortunately I inherited my car from my Mother. Before her divorce from my step dad he removed the pump and left the lines. I have no want to replace the pump but would like to lower the top. Because the car is garaged most of the year I feel like I could lower the top and place a cover over the cockpit to protect it.. my question is, during the process of unlocking the top from the windshield pillar it won’t move but an 1”. Telling me the rams are locked in place. The rear qtr windows are down and the pump is gone, so there is no relief valve to release pressure and there is no hydro fluid in the system that I know of.. what am I doing wrong or not doing to get this top to fold back?? As previously stated From your and others I want to becareful not to bend the top frame. Is there a special method I should use to compress the rams so the top will fold back or am I totally missing something here. Furthermore I apologize for beating a dead horse with this question that had been discussed at length. Thanks in advance for any help..

Summary: pump is removed, lines are still in place. Qtr windows retract, Alan key unlocks roof but roof won’t budge past 1” above windshield like something else is holding it in place. Not wanting to repair system.. Help please!!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default Opening the top manually

Salvador,

Welcome to the Forum, and there's no such thing as a stupid question. Here we try to help everyone even if the subject has been discussed to death.

Congratulations on inheriting the X100, and you will find the convertible to be a fantastic pleasant drive.... once you get the car "going."

Onto your problem. Should be straight forward and it's all covered in the technical manual and I've also some hints/figures later too that may help.

See below excerpt from the technical manual for the manual opening procedure.

When you've opened the latch, using the allen key, the hood should open 1" with a gap between the windscreen.

The secret is to reach behind the quarter headlining to find the hinges and CAREFULLY push as shown to release the mechanism. You may want to check how your hydraulic pipes are closed off, as there may still be hydraulic fluid in the lines.

PS I would not recommend the "significant force" in Step5, as you may distort the top. I would go with lubrication of the hinges (WD40 etc) and gently working the top. It may be stiff for the initial opening, but once past the middle of the car, it should move easily. Don't let it slam into the rear parcel shelf, as you may damage the rear windscreen.

FWIW I would look to reinstall the hydraulic pump and put in new lines, as the system is fantastic.... when it's working.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Unlock the rams as mentioned above.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:04 PM

We had the misfortune of the "green shower" hydraulic leak in our 2001 XK8 today... we followed the instructions for manually closing the roof but now the rear widows won't go up! Any advice?

Old 11-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts

krtjpt,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly advice to be had here. Are you sure the top hood latch is firmly closed and then try the up button.
Not sure what your DIY skills are like but here's a Youtube video for "jumping" the rear window relays in the trunk.

Quick Reply: How Do You Let The Convertible Top Up & Down Manually ?