XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to price a totally custom XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

In order to maximize your eventual selling price you're going to have to find an emotional, irrational buyer who pays no attention to conventional economics. Think about where folks who fit that description may tend to congregate and concentrate your publicity efforts there. Good luck....

Old 01-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Hey Phil,

What you have created is a work of art, and as such is going to be sought after by the *right* collector. It is not for the purist, or the casual Jaguar buyer.

On a positive note, my neighbor customized (I mean completely resto-modded) a classic truck and it is nowhere near stock. When he sold it he commanded a fairly high price but had to be patient, and it had to be the right buyer who was very happy with his purchase.

Do you have more pictures of the seat delete? I think I may go that direction on mine as well.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

+1 on the Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auctions...

If you do decide to get in the Palm Beach show for Barrett-Jackson on 4/17-4/19 they are still accepting consignments... let me know if you go as I will definitely be going this year (last year at this time I checked out the Mecum auction up in Kissimmee).

Thanks!
Chris

Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

As per pretty much all previous posts Phil, you'll never get anywhere near back what you put into her.

Customised cars, even those well done immediately limit the marketplace.

Yours is a lovely example with so much done to her, I do hope you get near the top end price for her & hopefully to a Jag enthusiast.

You could always offer it up here of course too and perhaps might get a bite or two.

Good luck

Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

your xk8 is nice, a real 'yippy I oh'. just list it on your local Craigslist, upload some pictures, give a nice narrative and price it where you like it. It's free, doesn't take long and you never know! Craigslist gets a lot of views and you can't beat the price!!!

If you don't get much action at your price, simply change it a little and see what you get. Every day is a new opportunity and the person looking for your car just might see it!

Good luck!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

On a side note, I have been told, even by the concours judge from JCNA that even though he's not a huge fan of modifications, he admitted mine was the perfect example of how to do it right. Everything carefully thought out and extremely detailed and well executed. No evidence of any botched jobs or crazy racerboy add ons! And he completly approved of the body kit, being an Arden style.[/QUOTE]

Phil I have to play the part of the contrarian here and say that with the possible exception of the rear seat delete (which I happen to like) the majority of your other upgrades and modifications add value and do NOT subtract.

Last year I attended the Amelia Island Concours D'Elegance, one of the countries top collector car shows that has become a major player over it's 20 year life. The number of truly beautiful and rare cars from all of the world's manufacturers both past and present would have been hard to match even in the hyper-moneyed atmosphere of Beverly Hills.

With the exception of the extremely rare Ferrari's of the 50's and 60's whose numbers are counted in the tens and maybe dozens and the one off race cars from racing series such as Indy, Can-Am, and the endurance classes the number of other cars shown that had undergone complete restorations that also included "improvements" or "modifications" to the original were very much in evidence.

I owned, at that time, a rather forlorn 1969 Maserati Ghibli that would have required literally thousands of dollars to get even close to the quality of the half-dozen or so that were there on display. I did not see a single one of this iconic and much sought after cars that did not have some level of what we call "rectification" used in their rebuild. Interiors especially got the royal treatment and were far superior to anything used by Maserati in the original cars even though they were high quality back when new.

Certainly body modifications were avoided but what you've done to yours in that respect hasn't irretrievably changed the fundamental beauty of the XK's and no one would question or be put off by the mechanical improvements you've made. As I said the only possible negative in my mind would be the remo0val of the rear seat and even that can be fairly cheaply reversed based on what I'm seeing the cost of complete unmolested and primarily unused back seat components on eBay.

A good friend of mine who was so impressed by my '99 XK8 went out and found a very nice looking but high mileage 2000 XK8 (93000 miles) for a very cheap price and has been offered as much as $13,000 just this past week and told the part that $14K might get his attention and his car isn't an SC car nor are the miles anywhere as attractive as yours and it has almost no extra equipment beyond the upgraded audio system. No Nav system, no adjustable pedals, no SC, 18" wheels, etc.

The upshot of all this is I wouldn't be afraid to ask in the $20-$25K area and sell it for the jewel it is and make no excuses for your "improvements" as it isn't a Ferrari Lusso or a 250 GTO and it will appeal to someone who is looking for a very nice sharp, reliable, driver. Keep in mind that a Jag buyer has few alternatives by way of a truly exclusive performance car and the modern choices that fall into the 'affordable' category are themselves priced in the $35K and up area like Camaro's, Mustang's, Challenger's, and even higher priced Corvettes and every country Bubba has one of those as well.

The Maserati I bought 15 years ago for $25,000 would today cost a person $125-150K so a $20-25L Jag XKR would be a major bargain and blow the doors of the Maser to boot in any way you'd care to measure. As a matter of fact it would have blown the doors off my '66 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2.

Last edited by RDMinor; 01-21-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Make more readable
Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
It's always amazing too me how everyone always says the X100 is an iconic classic but the most popular ones seem to be modified to some degree. Ive been to a lot of car shows and when I put mine in line with stock cars, it's the definate crowd pleaser. I've found that most older collectors tend to want the stock examples but younger enthusiasts go for the lowered, exhaust note improved, custom examples.
I know it will take s special buyer to want my mods, and I know il NEVER get out a fraction of my expenditures (never did it for profit) but just from reactions over the last couple years, I think I could do better than a standard 2002.
On a side note, I have been told, even by the concours judge from JCNA that even though he's not a huge fan of modifications, he admitted mine was the perfect example of how to do it right. Everything carefully thought out and extremely detailed and well executed. No evidence of any botched jobs or crazy racerboy add ons! And he completly approved of the body kit, being an Arden style.

Phil, I think that you clearly have a reasonable expectation. I don't doubt that you should be able to get more for your car than a bone stock car of the same condition, year and mileage from the right buyer. What you realize, as do the rest of us, is that you won't get anything near the added value that you put into it, and we all know that going in if we do such modifications.

In the end, what you get will be a matter of how motivated you are to sell it and how long you are willing to wait until the right buyer comes along to give you a premium price. Looking at what those cars sold for at auction looks like that may very well be the best thing to try in the short term, and hey, you will get a good trip out of it to a beautiful part of the country no matter what. Good luck with your sale, whichever way you go.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Thanks for all the input! I'd like to think I could get 20-25K but even I don't have that much faith! Seriously, I'd think 14-16k would be a reasonable price, that is if the interested party apriciated just how unique my XK is. I have attempted to keep most of the modifications in the spirit of Jaguar, not opting for more modern or, frankly, tacky add on's. And I've also been very particular on the quality of fit and finish from the body kit and paint, even down to the detail of black stitching and piping on the new oatmeal seats to coordinate with the existing black interior. I've even removed the titanium wrapped dash when I came across a stunning "new old" stock veneer fascia.
I've looked at several modified cars to possibly purchase in the past but their quality was to say the least, deplorable. That's why I carefully plan each modification. I want it to look as if my car could have rolled off the assembly line, headed straight to Special Operations and been fitted with Jaguar sanctioned upgrades as a limited special edition.
And I've seen Paragon models bring rediculous prices and they are just as "*******ized" as mine! Lol (to the purists) But at least mine hasn't attempted to completly disguise the original lines of the X100 or pose as an X150. Arden, to my knowledge, is a fairly respected force in Jaguar circles and I felt their ground effects kit enhanced the already curvaceous lines of our car.
All that withstanding, I may have a few personal touches that wouldn't win favor but, those can be reversed. And the back seat is stored for future sale with the car, as are the wheels.
At the end of the day, I guess the real question is, will I sell it? I took a completly abused, sad XK8 and saved it from a breakers yard, so it's like my child. And I would only sell it to someone who will treat it the same. I think we all know that look in someone's eyes when they're the one!

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
ccfulton (01-21-2015), JimC64 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Jon89,
Best advice yet. Wonder if Starbucks will let you advertise in their shops? 5.00+ for a cup of coffee, I would think irrational as they come.

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

In addition to advertising at Starbucks, Phil should consider advertising at professional cat shows, Yanni concerts, and any reality show project fronted by Donald Trump....

Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Phil,
I've been wondering where you've been lately, I've missed your posts. As the owner of both a 2002XKR and a 2010XKR, I understand your dilemma, and I couldn't have chosen one over the other. However, if truth be told, I like my 2002 better. It certainly isn't as quick, doesn't handle nearly as well, has a suspension not nearly as capable as the 2010, but....it looks (to me) so much better, sexier, more sensual, more classic, garners more compliments than any car I have ever owned, and gives me a greater sense of occasion every time I drive it.

On the other hand, the 2010 does so many things better, and sharp paddle shifting, and gobs of power are so addicting.

As for what you can get for your car, Jandreu's listing of the XK8/XKR models sold at auction were quite surprising, reflecting higher prices than we've seen in years on these cars. Ebay listings reflect this as well. I think you could be aggressive in your pricing because the work you've done on your car is exceptional and will have broad appeal. Just as with my Pantera, strict originality on these cars is not specifically valued over tasteful, and model enhancing improvements, and yours is certainly in that category.

Finally, make sure this is the step you want to take by driving the newer models, as well as some others like the F-type and even other brands like the Aston of which you spoke. Then make your choice. You might be surprised.

Keep us in the loop.
Thanks for the positive comments. It's refreshing to actually have positive, useful information when posing a slightly sensitive question. It's obvious you've put time and care into a car or two to make it your own. You understand the difference from a chav, ricer mod and a true upgraded and carefully modified restoration.
As for not posting much lately, I just remembered why I stopped. And Jon, if you'd like to put your Victory Edition beside my, in your opinion, joke of an XK8 at the next CJC meeting or event and see which one impresses the most, I'll be glad to! I believe it's in Greensboro in a few weeks!
And next time, read my posts carefully! I clearly said I know modifications aren't for everyone (especially sanctimonious purists) but I have done many improvements that should up the asking price.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
In addition to advertising at Starbucks, Phil should consider advertising at professional cat shows, Yanni concerts, and any reality show project fronted by Donald Trump....
Seriously? Do you find any of your insulting posts funny? You and chuck? Do you hold your own XK8 in esteem? Would you apriciated someone basically insinuating that you are a vapid ignorant joke of a person for your choice in your car? I've had to grow a pretty thick skin on this forum both for my XK8 and my XF just because I want mine to be unique to me. I wasn't foolish enough to purchase an XK8 for investment purposes or future value because it will be long after we are both dead and buried before it ever, if ever, sees the classic status of the E type.
Lastly, I don't know if you were at the Shelton Vinyard British Auto show last year, but I was. my car wasn't even on show but I was asked to park my car with the other Jaguars at the event and in that line of XK's mine stole the show! That's not ego, that's fact. I had jaguar enthusiasts ask if it was a special edition! Not ONE negative comment. Even the other owners were fascinated by it and they urged me to enter it in the little switzerland concours, which I did and I won my division. If you were there, obviously I didn't notice your car. There were so many normal stock XK8's. You've seen one, you've seen them all.
So with this sermon coming to a close, I bid the forum a final adue. I was hoping things had changed but I guess as some people age, they loose their capacity to think of others.

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (01-24-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default You've got a great car

Listen Phil you've got a great ride. Some folks don't like mods. Others can't afford them and have a hostile way of showing envy. In the end those of us that count know you've got a great set of wheels and I for one am glad you are selling. You were keeping me too busy trying to keep up. Looking forward to seeing your next project. Seriously I'll miss you in the forum!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Phil, come on man...don't let a couple comments deprive the rest of us from your company.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Phil--I didn't think you were treated all that shabbily here. Most people are pretty civil but there are certain discussions that sometimes spin out of hand.

Doug

Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Phil, come on man...don't let a couple comments deprive the rest of us from your company.
+1

Phil, don't go. Some of your mods I loved, some not so much, but I always read your posts with interest. Nothing wrong with making your car truly YOUR car.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, now, two beers and I'll clarify.
I don't care if someone likes or doesn't like my car.
But I don't care to be insulted on a personal level. To recap, Jon , I assume , was attempting to inform me that I need to find someone like myself to purchase my car. I don't appreciate being lumped into his idea of who would buy my car. Emotional (I may have to own that one) irrational, pay no attention to conventional economics (so? I can afford to spend my money on my car!) (oh, after I pay my bills, paid off my home, owe nothing to anyone, and invest wisely) professional cat shows(I have a dog, mutt!) frequents Starbucks (as if) Yanni concerts??????? (Is he even relavent in 2015?? ) and the worst, a follower of Donald Trump!! (Why isn't he in jail??? )
(I also didn't expound on irrational since I did rant after reading his posts.) but where my cars are concerned, I'm most assuredly NOT irrational.

But the real reason I'm posting this now is because my mechanic sent me an email as he has an interested jaguar collector interested in my car! He has offered me 15,000.00 and willing to discuss!! He also said the man would go as high as 19k. So now I've got some serious thinking to do.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Good for you buddy, it's a tough decision however I completely understand your position both on this thread and on selling your XK8. As is always said it's not the destination but the journey that excites. One pursues what makes them happy and when the prize is captured one must find another prize to chase.

I'm much the same although probably on a smaller scale, I find the chase much more enjoyable than the final result.

Ok enough cliche's, time for a Mai Tai....

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Phil,

Take a chill pill, man. I had no intention of insulting you or your car. Everything I said was in jest except for my original statement: In order to maximize your eventual selling price, you're going to have to find an emotional buyer who does not think in conventional economic terms. That's true. As you've been repeatedly told in this thread, heavily-modified vehicles typically decline in what they can be sold for to well-informed, rational buyers. You should know that. You certainly know that you have zero chance of ever recouping the total amount of money you have dropped into your XK8....

I understand the fact that you are emotionally attached to your car and you enjoy spending time and money on it to personalize it to your taste. It's your time, your money, and your prerogative. Given my educational background in economics and statistics, I have a completely opposite mindset. To me, vehicles are depreciating assets that should be properly maintained but not treated as investments or allowed to become money drains. That's my prerogative. But just because we happen to have mindsets that are 180 degrees opposed does not make either one of us right or wrong. I respect your right to do whatever you want to your car and have actually complimented you on a couple of mods over the years (in your anger you don't seem to remember that). But I'm not going to extend gushing compliments for every little accent you add or change. Financially, I don't think it's wise but hey, it's your choice and if it makes you happy then go for it....

I don't care about car shows or concours awards. I don't care what other people think of my wife's XK8. I don't get my ego stroked when people come up to me and ask about her car. My goal is to keep it running strongly and keep her safe in her chosen means of transportation while doing so as economically as possible....

If my jesting in this thread offended you, I apologize. But keep in mind that we all come from different backgrounds and different mindsets and we all have the right to express our opinions in this very public forum. Do not assume that someone is intentionally besmearing you simply because they crack a lame joke or two. I certainly was not. Your posts are enjoyable regardless of what I think about your latest mod and I sincerely hope you will remain a contributing member of this forum. That's all I have to say on the matter. Your mileage may vary....

The following 4 users liked this post by Jon89:
Jag#4 (01-23-2015), Norri (01-23-2015), philhef (01-23-2015), sklimii (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Lol I should have made popcorn before reading this.

I've been off the forums for a while due to a family emergency but I needed to clear my head tonight and figured I would pop in and take my mind off things.

Phil - I might be Interested. I have a real deal Arden car but this might be a suitable daily summer driver. Pm me with your email / contact info and let's talk. As far as Jon he has a sarcastic sense of humor, but he is an unbelievably wonderful and supportive person. I sold him his xk8 two some years ago. Since then we have become friends and speak regularly. He has been unbelievably supportive in my recent family issues. Not only has he offered invaluable advice but he's always quick to chime in with a good word or just listen to me vent about my frustrations. So I want to say while sometimes things come across the wrong way on a forum or on the Internet especially when you don't really know the person, I can assure you he did not mean to insult or offend you. If that was his intent I assure you that he would be much more straightforward about it.

Take care,

George

The following 3 users liked this post by androulakis:
Jon89 (01-24-2015), Norri (01-24-2015), sklimii (01-24-2015)

Quick Reply: How to price a totally custom XK8