Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Bulbs quickie

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Bulbs quickie

It looks like one of the bulbs must be shot since the left site of the tachometer is dark with the lights on. Based on RevSam's video and some other threads replacing the bulbs seems like a fairly easy task. I want to have a supply of bulbs before beginning so I was trying to determine definitively the make/size bulb that will work. I believe there are 2 different size bulbs for the cluster--4 larger ones and 4 smaller ones. I think that Jaguar has part numbers for these but I imagine the Sylvania or GE bulbs that are sold at PepBoys should have an appropriate replacement.

Does anyone have the exact bulb numbers that are needed for the instrument cluster?

Doug

The following users liked this post:
dennisw (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
It looks like one of the bulbs must be shot since the left site of the tachometer is dark with the lights on. Based on RevSam's video and some other threads replacing the bulbs seems like a fairly easy task. I want to have a supply of bulbs before beginning so I was trying to determine definitively the make/size bulb that will work. I believe there are 2 different size bulbs for the cluster--4 larger ones and 4 smaller ones. I think that Jaguar has part numbers for these but I imagine the Sylvania or GE bulbs that are sold at PepBoys should have an appropriate replacement.

Does anyone have the exact bulb numbers that are needed for the instrument cluster?

Doug
these bulbs are 2.2 watt..if you fit 5 watt they are too bright and burn out ..i don't know if you have Halfords in usa but you should get them off ebay part number hbu297 12volt 2.2 watt hope this helps

Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Dennis--I did stumble on some posts that mentioned Sylvania 2821 for the larger and 2323 for the smaller. I think the packaging for the larger bulb shows 3 watts and the smaller is 2.3. I guess those are close enough?

Doug

Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Just a thought, You might consider changing them all while you are there. Not that big a $ hit and you'll know they will be good for many more miles.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Just a thought, You might consider changing them all while you are there. Not that big a $ hit and you'll know they will be good for many more miles.
Agree but I want to know the correct bulbs to buy

Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Just as a heads-up. After talking with the local shop about bulbs they mentioned that the bases seemed to burn out more often than the bulbs. I would hate to have bought bulbs only to discover that the base was hinky so I just went ahead and ordered the bulbs from Jaguar since they come with the bases.

Hopefully I will find the time in the next few weeks to try installing. I will probably try omitting disconnecting the battery but will make sure to keep the door closed. Power is obviously delivered to the cluster when you open the door since you can see the odometer miles illuminate for about 15 seconds and then go out. Once that happens I assume that there is no (or little) voltage going to the cluster and I don't think there is really any risk of damage (speak up if you believe otherwise).

Also probably one of the main reasons the bulbs burn out is that they are needlessly on at ALL times day and night. I would prefer for the bulbs to be off unless you turn on the headlights or foglights.

Doug