Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Default Interior door panel clips are broken...any ideas? - RESOLVED

Hello guys;

The interior door panels for our cars press in and pop out via plastic "towers" that hold press-in clips. When they're intact, those plastic towers on the inside of the door panels look like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Two of these plastic towers on my driver's side interior door panel...the door card for you Brits...are broken. I present the very sad photographic evidence:

Click the image to open in full size.

These two bits are in the upper rear corner of the driver's side interior panel...next to my left shoulder if sitting in the driver's seat. And really, what other seat would I ever sit in?

Anyway, since these bits are broken, the interior panel isn't well attached at that corner, doesn't sit tightly against the door, and rattles a bit. Each of these green plastic towers are a slightly different size, and of course they're held onto the door panel with a strong adhesive.

I'd like to fix this problem, ideally WITHOUT replacing the entire door panel. Any ideas on how I might be able to do that? Thanks in advance.

1997 Jaguar XK8 Coupe, Sherwood Green / Coffee

- According to Jaguar Heritage, my car was assembled on 13 May 1996, in a pre-volume build group of 111 cars for management evaluation and photography.
- This group of "4P" cars featured all options and represented all international markets. The first true customer XK8 was produced 23 days later.
- The engine was assembled on 15 March 1996, in the first two weeks of AJ26 4.0 engine production.
- 125,000 miles, modified and growling nicely!

Last edited by GGG; 02-01-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM

I had the same, really. Luckily, the parts were intact, so I used some JB Weld to glue it back together. Holds up really well, so far no issues!
The Following User Says Thank You to azeteg For This Useful Post:
The Coupe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM

I bought a new interior panel by searching Ebay. Solved several problems for fit and condition.
The Following User Says Thank You to weisberg For This Useful Post:
The Coupe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeteg View Post
I had the same, really. Luckily, the parts were intact, so I used some JB Weld to glue it back together. Holds up really well, so far no issues!

So your plastic towers were intact, and you used JBWeld to reattach the towers to the door panel?

- According to Jaguar Heritage, my car was assembled on 13 May 1996, in a pre-volume build group of 111 cars for management evaluation and photography.
- This group of "4P" cars featured all options and represented all international markets. The first true customer XK8 was produced 23 days later.
- The engine was assembled on 15 March 1996, in the first two weeks of AJ26 4.0 engine production.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,402 Posts

The upper rear bracket is apparently the most common one to break. There is a TSB on it, and I believe it is the only one you can buy individually from the dealer.

The part number is in the TSB (attached). I suspect if you replace just that one, it will solve the bulk of your problem.

I think what azetag was saying is if you still have all of the broken plastic bits, JB-Weld (regular, not quick-set) works quite well to repair the brackets.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 501-57.pdf (60.1 KB, 382 views)

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteXKR For This Useful Post:
ccfulton (02-01-2013), GGG (02-01-2013), JSC (05-10-2013), The Coupe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteXKR View Post
The upper rear bracket is apparently the most common one to break. There is a TSB on it, and I believe it is the only one you can buy individually from the dealer.

The part number is in the TSB (attached). I suspect if you replace just that one, it will solve the bulk of your problem.

Stellar! Thanks very much, Steve...my car isn't included in the VIN range on that TSB, but I'll talk to my buddy in the dealer parts department.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Steve, I owe you big time on this one. Thanks very much for pointing me to that TSB...I've got many TSBs on file but hadn't seen that one.

The small, plastic part that was broken IS STILL AVAILABLE from Jag because of that TSB, for just a couple of bucks. I used a sharpie to mark the exact location and orientation of the broken piece, then used a thin, flexible scraper blade to pry the broken piece from the door trim. Then I used just a bit of JB Kwik to bond the new piece in place. Let it cure for 24 hours, and re-installed the door trim. The corner now holds tightly, and that annoying little rattle near my left shoulder is GONE.

After nearly two years of membership, this forum still impresses me. A post or cry for help on some obscure, frustrating little issue can lead to an easy answer. The only other option I had for that problem was a salvaged door panel from another car. Because I took the time to post, and you took the time to answer, I've kept my original trim and solved the problem for about four dollars.

Excellent!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,402 Posts

Great to hear Scott!

Having fitted a few of my remote top controllers for local customers myself, I have come across nearly every homebew scheme to refasten loose door panels, nearly all of which fail.

This is one case where a trip to the dealer will not burn a hole in your pocket and will save you tons of hassle!

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

I owe Steve for this one too.

I needed to adjust the windows and of course BOTH sides broke so I recently did this TSB on two door panels. Went ahead and bought an extra clip for each side just in case I ever need the door panel off again. Cheap insurance!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Photobucket

Thanked 4,701 Times in 4,117 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coupe View Post
The interior door panels for our cars press in and pop out via plastic "towers" that hold press-in clips...........
Scott,

I've added 'RESOLVED' to your thread title to help others in future to find this thread with the solution to broken plastic "towers".

And to Steve (WhiteXKR) for posting the TSB.

Graham

Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Great to find this easy fix, this is next on my to do list!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:53 PM

I've been fighting this issue on the drivers side. I've replaced the bracket (C2N 3837) 3 times, but unfortunately I think all the trim looseness and removal / reassembly has worn down the christmas tree plugs that hold the trim in place. I'm hoping to replace those to get a firm grip on the thrim, but have been unable to find a part number for them. Has anyone replaced these parts before and have a part number for them?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:53 PM

Tags
1997, broken, car, card, clip, clips, door, interior, jaguar, panel, part, plastic, press, removal, repair, tower, xk8