XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod Adaptor for car cassette

Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Ipod Adaptor for car cassette

Hi. Having tried to use several FM transmitters for my iPod and failing due to lack of reliable air-space, I wondered if anyone has tried the Sony ipod/ cassette adaptor in a 2000 XK8? If so, can this be linked to the vehicle power (cigarette lighter point) whilst playing?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi UKDude,
I have used a cassette adapter that plugs into my iPod with a cigar lighter power cord attached to the iPod successfully. However, I found the following device to be less cumbersome since the iPod is held in place right in front of the sound system controls:
Amazon.com : iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod (Certified "Made for iPod") : Automotive Amazon.com : iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod (Certified "Made for iPod") : Automotive

It appears that the units are only available "refurbished" now.
I bought one several months ago and prefer it to the cassette adapter with wire to the iPod since the iPod is held in place rather than lying on the console.

The following 3 users liked this post by jimmiejag:
IowaPopPop (09-23-2014), max224 (09-28-2014), ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

do ipods have bluetooth?
This seems the least clunky way to use the existing stereo. I've seen it recommended on one of these forums, and thought it better than the wired version I've got.

Buy ION Bluetooth Cassette Adapter | John Lewis

The following 2 users liked this post by kreyszig:
ukdude (09-23-2014), x-biker (09-27-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Monster iCarPlay Cassette Adapter 800

Hi, I've used both the 'Monster iCarPlay Cassette Adapter 800' and the 'Walkman Car Connecting Pack for MD Walkman and CD Walkman (Model# CPA-9C)' with reasonable success. They use the analog audio out on my nano. Neither can charge the nano, but it runs a long time on one charge (4 hour road trips no problem). The sound quality is at least as good as the FM transmitters I've used (maybe a little better once I set the EQ in the nano) and there is no problem with station interference. No problem to use either adapter in my 2005 XKR with the premium sound system.

I have ordered and received an 'iSimple IS77 Universal iPod and iPhone Audio Input Cable for FM Radios' which will power my nano (requires connection to a power source in the car - ie cigarette lighter). It uses an inline connector / cutout for the radio antenna so there is no station interference. I have not had a chance to install it yet, and I think I will need an adapter for the antenna, but I'm not sure yet which one.

The isimple will meet all my needs if it works. I use a bluetooth headset for my phone, and the isimple is an 'invisible' install. I want to keep the interior stock with no add-ons (like the Parrot screen, for example). I'll route the ipod connector from the isimple into the center console storage
box.

Best Regards, Fred

The following users liked this post:
ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a Philips one and it is excellent, gone through several Fm transmitters, they are generally very poor quality and esp problematic in town. the quality from tape adapters is far superior IMO. stick to the brand name ones and you'll be good, standard of wiring can be a bit variable on cheapo's.

I have mine plugged into the cig lighter at the same time, I use one of these https://www.powertraveller.com/en/sh...l/motormonkey/ as its tiny and teamed with a right angle USB cable adaptor, if you whittle the plastic away from the connect on the the USB, so you can bend it flat, you can close the cubby cover with it all in place.

The USB wire then runs out of cover and I route underneath the centre console trim until it reappears over the top of the ski ramp, just enough cable to plug into one of these in the vents...
Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount - Black/Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount - Black/Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
or tuck neatly away when not in use.

overall fairly clean, without having to take the car to pieces or drill holes in the interior!

ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 AM
swc
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I have used for number of years the deck unit (link to Amazon below), just like the guys above have noted it cradles the iPod or iPhone so you can use it in situ. You can also charge the unit from the cigar lighter socket. Main thing is that it 'appears' to include some noise suppression circuitry that gives a much cleaner sound than a lot of the other units on the market, particularly when using the Aux in to connect a digital radio unit (Pure Highway).

link:
Amazon.com : iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod (Certified "Made for iPod") : Automotive Amazon.com : iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod (Certified "Made for iPod") : Automotive

Hope this is of use.

Cheers

Steve

The following 3 users liked this post by swc:
DrOrb (12-21-2014), IowaPopPop (09-23-2014), ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I have been using this set up for a couple of years now. I removed the radio routed the cord up into the arm rest storage area, added a USB adapter next to the cigar lighter so it charges the IPOD while driving. I also added the antenna cut off switch in the same area so, no antenna up while listening to the IPOD, which is all the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Richxk8:
DrOrb (12-21-2014), ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Default no bluetooth on Nano

Originally Posted by kreyszig
do ipods have bluetooth?
This seems the least clunky way to use the existing stereo. I've seen it recommended on one of these forums, and thought it better than the wired version I've got.

My nano does not have bluetooth but this looks too interesting not to try. I just ordered one of these and a bluetooth transmitter for my Nano. If this works ok, I might scrap my plans for the iSimple IS77 install. Especially if the phone feature works reasonably well with my iPhone 5s.

Best Regards, Fred

ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

here is how I did mine..broke into cd and amp wireing..run cables into cab.can run ipod. iphone. also charges and powers all divices.use any usb cable..works 100%
bottom switch for antenna

Attached Thumbnails Ipod Adaptor for car cassette-picture-201.jpg   Ipod Adaptor for car cassette-picture-204.jpg   Ipod Adaptor for car cassette-picture-205.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by dennisw:
DrOrb (12-21-2014), ukdude (09-23-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Thumbs up Bluetooth cassette adapter works great

Originally Posted by newXKRguy
My nano does not have bluetooth but this looks too interesting not to try. I just ordered one of these and a bluetooth transmitter for my Nano. If this works ok, I might scrap my plans for the iSimple IS77 install. Especially if the phone feature works reasonably well with my iPhone 5s.
Haven't received my ION bluetooth cassette adapter yet, but I did receive the Radio Shack version (does not do cell phone calls - no mic). YMMV, but I'll have to say that the Radio Shack bluetooth cassette adapter works great with my nano and a TaoTronics TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (I ordered everything from Amazon).

Some background noise, but not noticable when underway. I settled on the 'R&B' EQ setting on the nano, Dolby 'on' on the car stereo (unconventional to do this with a cassette adapter but I like it), volume limiter on the nano at apprx 75% (to avoid signal distortion) and treble / bass set to +1 on the car stereo. The Tao and RS keep the pairing settings when they are turned off, so no hassle on start up. Much better sound quality than either of my wired cassette adapters. It's the same analog audio source, so it must be better electronics in the cassette adapter and / or cassette adapter head.

To note - it's not anywhere close to 'audiophile' standards, but that's not important to me. This setup sufficiently rocks my tunes and is invisible regarding the car interior.

I'm shelving the iSimple IS77 install at least for now. Now, on to the realgauge install.

Best Regards, Fred

Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

can't you get an good old fashion cassette adapter that plugs into your device and slip the cassette into the player in the car? They are avail on ebay. I do this on our 03 xk8 and it works fine with my droid phone.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I recommended the ION adaptor. I got it through John Lewis for about £33, took about 2 weeks to arrive. It goes in the cassette adaptor and you can use it with any BlueTooth phone or iPod (or an older iPod using a BT adaptor at the iPod end which costs about another £20). It works extremely well for me, avoids the cable clutter and interference associated with the wired adaptors and the battery lasts about 10 hours on a full charge.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by brgjag
can't you get an good old fashion cassette adapter that plugs into your device and slip the cassette into the player in the car? They are avail on ebay. I do this on our 03 xk8 and it works fine with my droid phone.
I tried these wired adaptors and also a Griffin iTrip FM broadcaster before I got the ION Bluetooth adaptor. The ION has a significantly better sound quality and avoids the cable clutter.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by kreyszig
do ipods have bluetooth?

iPod touch certainly has Bluetooth - that's what I use with the ION adaptor. Older iPods can use an adaptor at the iPod end which adds Bluetooth - I put the details on my original thread ("Simple Bluetooth solution" I think it was called). Look on eBay - they cost about £20-£30, so overall a clean, bluetooth solution for no more than about £65 for both music and phone.

NB: You can pair your phone OR an iPod with the adaptor, but not both simultaneously. You can easily switch between phone and iPod by turning BT off on one and on on the other then pairing - takes about 30 seconds.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Thumbs up bluetooth is better !

Originally Posted by PaulCarr
iPod touch certainly has Bluetooth - that's what I use with the ION adaptor. Older iPods can use an adaptor at the iPod end which adds Bluetooth - I put the details on my original thread ("Simple Bluetooth solution" I think it was called). Look on eBay - they cost about £20-£30, so overall a clean, bluetooth solution for no more than about £65 for both music and phone
I confirm that my bluetooth RadioShack cassette adapter has significantly better sound quality then either of my wired cassette converters (plus no wires!). After such good success in my initial testing, I'm on my way now to pick up a 32 GB iPod Touch. Staying in bluetooth protocol by eliminating the conversion to analog-out should bump up the quality even further. As Paul said, only the iPod Touch and the casette adapter now, staying in bluetooth up to the analog conversion for the cassette head. An elegant solution with really decent sound quality.

Best Regards, Fred

Last edited by newXKRguy; 09-26-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't been able to locate the elusive IP-JAGCD, once carried by Discount Car Stereo. Since the most recent model year it supports is 2006, the demand is understandably low.

The Monster cassette works pretty well, but if it remains plugged into my iPod when I turn off the ignition, the cigar lighter power switches off and the iPod is drained.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I can't find the i-deck for sale in the uk guys - any ideas?

Originally Posted by swc
Hi,

I have used for number of years the deck unit (link to Amazon below), just like the guys above have noted it cradles the iPod or iPhone so you can use it in situ. You can also charge the unit from the cigar lighter socket. Main thing is that it 'appears' to include some noise suppression circuitry that gives a much cleaner sound than a lot of the other units on the market, particularly when using the Aux in to connect a digital radio unit (Pure Highway).

link: Amazon.com : iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod (Certified "Made for iPod") : Automotive

Hope this is of use.

Cheers

Steve
I can't find the i-deck for sale in the uk guys - any ideas?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I googled I-deck cassette and www . Overstock . Com have them and ship anywhere.

Last edited by spuddyo; 09-29-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Angry Ion arrived w/dead right channel

But, my new 32GB iPod Touch works very well with my Radio Shack BD cassette adapter. No muss, no fuss, no wires! I use my BD headset with my phone anyway, so the dead Ion is not much of a problem. The left channel on the Ion had comparable quality to my Radio Shack adapter, so I'm good to go. Probably will buy a second RS BD adapter to avoid battery issues on long trips.

Rgds, Fred

Last edited by newXKRguy; 10-03-2014 at 08:45 AM.