Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Conversion Chapter 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Nope

Originally Posted by brgjag
This conversion with the LS1 does not work with 03 - 06???

Strangely the electronics should be easier, computer and FORD like but apparently there hasn't been enough demand to do the decoding so they don't have a kit for a 4.2 yet. Now if someone is willing to fund a decoding effort so they can get the engine and jag to talk to each other...

Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Well that sucks. Maybe someday I will buy a older XK8 and do the conversion.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

This is the kenne belle LS1 setup,that fits under our stock hood.
I was going to install in my XK8, with a forged bottom end and copper head gaskets.The setup makes well over 700HP. But the cost for rear end,chassis and sub frame work was a litter discouraging.

However, a handheld tuner at home can get you some more ponies for cheap.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 107 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
This conversion with the LS1 does not work with 03 - 06???
Not sure about 03-06
I would contact Jaguar Specialties for the correct info as that is where did my research and finally purchased the kit
Andrew is awesome
jaguarspecialties.com

Cheers,
SK

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (10-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by aode06
This is the kenne belle LS1 setup,that fits under our stock hood.
I was going to install in my XK8, with a forged bottom end and copper head gaskets.The setup makes well over 700HP. But the cost for rear end,chassis and sub frame work was a litter discouraging.

However, a handheld tuner at home can get you some more ponies for cheap.

Wow, that looks awesome
I was just trying to give my wife her daily driver back and built her a hot rod by accident
This however takes it to a whole new level
Not the sort of thing I would be looking for or the wife but it looks fantastic

Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Wink getting ready to hibernate after a great summer

Hey all,
Just a quick update on the LS1 conversion.
Well here we are, 7,000 kilometers later and the Jag runs great.
Not a single issue. We burn 87 to 91 octane and have noticed excellent power and better fuel milage than the original drive train. Plan to do the math one day but I really don't care!
The proof in the pudding...is in the driving! I am so grateful that I was fortunate enough to have friends with the tools and knowhow and to have found the kit from Jaguar Specialties. Yes that was a plug but the reality is that I would not, could not have done the conversion without the kit. One summer later and it just runs folks! It's a chevy...it's supposed too, right?
Soon we will tuck kitty away for winter and dream of spring.
Happy trails!
More in the future...
SK

The following 2 users liked this post by Skooba Kowboy:
Jandreu (09-22-2014), The Coupe (09-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on the transplant?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm also curious!

I've been wondering what existing vehicle systems require input from the engine, Gauges, certainly, but what else needs to know if the engine is running or at what speed? If one were to transplant another engine into an XK and hook up whirly bits and the non engine related jag stuff did not get inputs, what would not work correctly because of that lack of input? Any input would be helpful!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

From what I read, all the gauges remain stock, just joining some wiring.

The most important thing to remember, is on GM engines change your fluids and add oil to the oil filter when doing so, that way it does not start up dry.

I have a chevy winter beater 240,453 miles and counting original 305 starts up every time.No leaks

GM makes a great V-8, but their electronics and wiring are cheap.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Default Conversion Electronics

yep, certainly aware of gauges, and that the voltages needed to drive those gauges must be different between the cars, which is where Jag Specialties CAN-CAN communication interface comes in, but- I would think that one could seperate input and outputs for so jag body switches can remain active, what I don't know, is if the SRS/airbags require data from the engine (speed sensors, etc) in order to deploy properly. I would think that many things could be be either bypassed or a median voltage supplied to "dumb down" some systems for simplicity of function....

Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Default Oil Pan and Header question.....

Also curious as to what oil pan and headers were used ( part number or application) as I know there is a clearance issue on the oil pan and it requires a specific one... I love the idea of an LS conversion, or an awesome running bulletproof AJ motor, but the electronics/mechanical interface in the stock XK seems to be a recurring issue....

Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

The Jag folks selling the conversion kit doing this conversion need to chime in here, some legit questions I would like to know, the airbag thing for instance.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you so much for the info. I found the conversion kit online and saved it for when I would be curious about it.
I just brought a 01 xk8 but really low mileage 66 k and all the mechanical were replaced (fuel pump, water pump and tensioners ) I am driving daily car handles great. But when I ran across the conversion I was wondering how they worked the cost and if it was worth it. It sounds like it definitely is.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default You can just call them

<<<@!1!@>>>

They don't watch the forum everyday but Jaguar Specialties is as close as your phone. You can just call them. I looked into doing this myself and generally you are simply linking the Jaguar ECU to the engine so the two talk to each other. They don't mess with anything else so it all should work. Just remember they do 4.0 engine cars they don't have the interface for 4.2s sorted yet.

Jaguar Specialties

Video of the prototype conversion:

Part 2:

Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

if you are using a LS1 GTO motor, if the gas line is still coming in at the rear drivers side of the motor (I assume it is) and you are leaving the GTO plastic covers on top of the motor look for the back drivers side GTO plastic rubbing on the gas line. I own a GTO and the LS1 04 models were knowing for that gas line getting cut through by the GTO plastics on top of the motor. Many folks changed that line over the metal braided line. Many a GTO caught fire due to the rub going to a gas leak.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

They have been working on the manual version for the car, when will that kit be avail I wonder. 6 sp manual in a XK8, how it should have been done from the factory!!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default A few LS1`Conversion Question Answers....

Hello all, sorry to be away from the Forum for a while, but I thought I would answer some of the questions here to clear up any confusion.

Our XJ/XK CAN Interface unit goes into the car in place of the original engine ecu and transmission ecu. We speak directly to the vehicle CAN, and in the appropriate language. So the car receives the software messaging, in the format it is expecting, directly from our unit. Just to clarify, there are actually 2 networks on these cars:

CAN (Controller Area Network)- this is the high speed network for high priority functions and includes engine controller, trans controller, ABS module, Gear Selector Module (around the shifter- the display), and the instrument cluster

SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) - this is the low speed network for low priority functions including door modules, body control module, AC control module, lights, etc.,., and the instrument cluster.

The networks are completely separate, with distinct and separate wiring. The instrument cluster is the only module that touches both, and some data from the CAN is passed to the SCP there. For example, the car will not allow the rear defroster to be turned on (through the AC control module, on SCP) unless there is an engine speed signal on the dash. Same for control of the heater valve- no heater valve control unless there is an engine speed on the dash. Engine speed is CAN, defroster and and heater valve are part of the SCP. I'm sure there are plenty of other interactions as well. The SCP, and all of its elements, remains untouched and fully functional in our conversions- as far as the car itself and that network is concerned, the original engine is under the hood and working.

Also, please be aware that the instrument cluster does not contain traditional gauges/meters. All of the gauges, like all modern cars, are stepper motors, driven from the cluster CPU, which has its own distinct programming. So all of the signaling that registers on the gauges themselves comes into the cluster as software messaging, not hi/lo voltage signals like older cars. Besides the 2 CAN wires, there are no other connections between the instrument cluster and the engine controller or engine for engine data (except maybe the oil pressure switch/light/gauge which is an on/off dumb circuit)

Attached is a typical schematic of the CAN/SCP networks for you to see. This one is the 99 XJ8, but all of the 97-02 XK8/XKR and 98-03 XJ8/XJR are the same. Notice that the supercharged cars' transmission controller is tacked onto (not in-situ) in the CAN, unlike the NA trans controller. This may be because the Mercedes software/controller has some proprietary elements that they would not allow Jaguar to interface with.

One last comment on that GTO cover/fuel pipe comment below, the original GTO fuel piping was the hard plastic-we typically use fuel injection (reinforced rubber) hose on all of the installations, and have never had a problem and neither have any of our customers (after checking to be sure nothing is rubbing- that's conversion 101). The covers are purely cosmetic and can be used on any LS engine- there is nothing unique about a GTO engine to use them.

The 6 speed manual version of the kit is something of a pet project for me- just wanted to see if it could be done. The prototype is running/driving under its own power, and now some testing in the next few weeks/months is in the works. I never anticipated much interest in it compared to the automatic- there is considerable extra cost (for the pedal arrangement- all specially made) and not many people are into shifting any more. But as a novelty/toy for the company owner (me) it's fun. Besides the pedals and trans-related parts, the remainder of the conversion is exactly like the automatic version (and the driveshaft is the same as well), so it could easily become another product in the line....

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Attached Thumbnails LS1 Conversion Chapter 1-xj-xk-networks.jpg  
twistyblackmetal (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks Andrew for the update and info. We are currently considering a 99 XK8 with bad engine as a candidate for one of your kits. Since we talked earlier, decided the truck LS1 (5.3L.) and 4L60e seems to be package we plan to use. The R/E gears (3.08) and .70 OD on the Tranny will give 2000+RPM at 75MPH with OEM tires. Will have to source the exhaust and intake from another donor. Would the ECM from truck be OK? Be back in contact when the deal is moving fwd.

twistyblackmetal (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Default Soon the snow will fall, time to hibernate kitty

Hey All,
Kitty has been put up for the winter, out with the old Grand Am (Pontiac that is)
Had a great summer with the car. No issues. Gonna work on some cosmetic stuff over the winter.
Anybody got an idea on replacing the bonnet (hood) liner as mine was destroyed in three spots by mice at my buddies farm?
Sheesh!
Will watch the forum off and on over the winter and probably do some posts once in a while.
In the meantime, hope your skies are blue and your highways barren of traffic.
How come nobody says "Have a great winter" ?

Cheers,
SK

Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Gonzo made some very nice headliners, but sadly he passed away this summer. I know there was going to be someone taking over, but I am not sure if that actually happened.

Quick Reply: LS1 Conversion Chapter 1