XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So inside the seat back? What does it go to?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Side air bag

Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM

I'm pretty certain I don't have side airbags.......

Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Matt -- H20Boy...

OK, I think I do have side airbags. Problem is they are elusive critters. I spent the entire day yesterday on the car. The only thing I recified was replacing the burnt out light bulb in the ashtray.

I pulled the Driver seat out again, and cleaned the heck out of all the connections I could find. I still have the intermittant 2-2 airbag fault. You keep mentioning the connection in the seat back going to the side airbag. I can't find it. I can not figure out how to get the upolstery on the rear seat off so I can work on it. Can you give me any more information or diagrams? I got to the point where I was afraid I was going to tear the upolstery, so I quit because I am lacking the "TV Magic Card" knowlege to making the task easy.

MC

Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to the airbag fault page I linked you to in your other thread. On page 3 is the video on how to get to the connector in the back of the seat. Good luck.

This site is great!!!

The following users liked this post:
Italianguy63 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Thank you Ed, that was the trick. I missed that link. Seat all apart now.

Think I am definitely on it now. The small airbag connection with the blue and yellow wires looks to be suspect. It basically "came apart" in my hand as I was removing it from the airbag. Cheesy bit. It looked like one of the connections had backed out from where it belongs.

Now the funny part - NOT. You can't make this stuff up. I did this with the seat in the car so I didn't have to take it out the 3rd time. When the connecter fell apart, it fell down between the seat and the rocker where the parking brake is. It then proceeded to scurry into the hole in the carpeting where the parking brake comes through. I tried to retrieve it with my fat pudgy fingers, and promptly pushed it forward where it could not be retrieved. SO... Seat BACK OUT for the 3rd time, and retrieved the lost piece with hemostats.

The black 1/2 of the connector is not securely clipping to the fitting, so I am currently, carefully epoxying the fitting back together. I'll let you know if I got this licked later in the day. I sure hope so.

Mark

Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Definitely fixed. Case closed. Thank you to everyone who helped! I'll be an expert on this car by the time I'm done I expect!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Excellent, good job!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi guys thanks for all the info about this problem. I was informed by my Jag dealer that the Warranty Solutions contract that came with this car does not cover this repair. So I guess I will have to attempt to fix it.

I got the seat out and will start spraying contacts. The seat looks like some heavy handed mechanic was in there looking for something, probably this proplem. I am also going to fix the head rest problem now that I got the seat out. It looks like there are air bags on each side of the seat. H20boy do you know the color code of the wiring that goes to these airbag modules? Can these connectors be reseated without any problem. I do not want the airbag to deploy in my face. I checked the hall effect sensor and see that with the seat all the way back, that the sensor is several inches away from the metal piece that would actuate it. It looks like it was put in for really short drivers, but if the connector is marginal it would cause a problem. When I checked the connection on it it seemed like it was not seated all the way. I plan to put the seat back in tomorrow and try it, but I have my doubts.

wcnesta 2003 XKR

Last edited by wcnesta; 03-06-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Hi Italianguy63

I think that blue and yellow wire connector you were talking about is for the seat back switch. When you pull the lever up on the side of the seat it actuates a switch that these two wires go to for the head rests. Have you fixed your airbag problem yet??

wcnesta

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Mine was defintely a blue and a yellow wire that went directly into the Driver "Seat" airbag. It is at the top of the bolster (inside) up towards the headrest. My plug was coming apart and was the problem. One of the 2 contacts had backed out about 1/8" inch inside.

You should have the battery disconnected when you are doing these repairs!

I believe that same blue and yellow wire comes down through the 2 prong plug at the front of the seat too. (the smaller of the 2 plugs you have to disconnect to get the seat out). I had looked at the schematic for the system, and the seat airbag goes through 2 connectors before it makes it back to the control module. I wouldn't think they would use multiple blue/yellow wire pairs in the same seat. But, I could be wrong!

MC

Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Yes fixed. BTW in screwing around with this, I replicated a hall-effect sensor error (by putting a low value resistor in place of the hall-effect)... the flash code changed from 2-2 to I think a 4-9. Anyway, my hall-effect theory was a boondoggle. I also forcefully moved the sensor all around into relation with the blade; and it did not seem to have any effect. I don't think the calibration on the seat position sensor is "critical" at all. Pretty robust. Probably works -or- not.

MC

Last edited by Italianguy63; 03-06-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Sorry-- and one more thing.

The plug in the airbag has a yellow "lock." You slide it down towards the bottom of the seat to disengauge it. Then there are 2 small "prongs/clips" on either side of the plug that keep the plug engaged. You must press them in from either side to remove the plug. It is a pretty small, easily broken, delicate plug. Hence, why it probably failed. Fixed mine by carefully filling the inside of the plug where the wires are with epoxy so they can't move again. I then slid the yellow keeper on, and as a 2nd precaution put a small nylon-wrap around the plug. MC

Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Could you email the schematic you were using on the airbag or put it online so I could look at it?

wcnesta

Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

It's in the JTIS. Maybe one of the members here could post it for you. I am heading out in a few minutes-- I can try to post it later if you get a dead telephone... MC

Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Take a look in the FAQs for a schematic.
Or here http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

Last edited by Norri; 03-06-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Default airbag code 2-2

I found the two wire connector you were talking about. It was connected to the bottom of the airbag module. The connection looked OK but the white slide to lock it was not pushed up. I did not see any pins pushed out. I will shot some contact cleaner on it and see what happens. I would feel a lot better if I could find a problem like yours, but so far everything looks OK.

wcnesta

Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Default airbag code 2-2

Hi guys

I just finished repairing the airbag code 22 problem and fixed the headrest problem. I pulled the driver seat out of the car to do this and find that is the easiest way to work on these problems. Four tork t-40 screws and two connectors and the seat is out. Cutting 12mm off of the headrest cable sheath was easy and installing the shrink wrap was not to bad. I had to take out both screws from the drive motor as the cable would not line up when trying to reinsert it. It is nice to have the head rest work and no more blinking airbag lite. I will do the passenger side head rest when I get ambitious again. The airbag code 22 was a loose connection somewhere in the seat. I think it was the hall effect connector as it appeared loose or the connector on the airbag module. I did all the connectors I could get to with contact cleaner. Thanks for all the help and info.

wnesta

Last edited by wcnesta; 03-09-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: wording confusing
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Veteran member

Nice job, both of you! you've doubled the number of documented 2-2 fault repairs DIY around here.

Quick Reply: My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED