Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife's got her first green shower :D ;_;

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

What I found is that the majority of the factory roof hoses will fail unless you are one of the lucky 1996/97 cars that had the higher pressure hoses installed or if your hoses have been replaced and / or the pressure relief valve (PRV) installed. The system puts out 1600psi! Now you need to understand that installing the PRV on an already stressed system (old hoses) gives you no guarantee because they could still be a problem. You should be aware of the problem and inspect the hoses at the latch once you identify the hose is beginning to separate consider replacement and minimize the roof operation. Moving and bending the hoses is not recommended.

Originally Posted by mbates50
Gus; Are you saying it's just a matter of time for all convertible Jags, or just this case?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
What I found is that the majority of the factory roof hoses will fail unless you are one of the lucky 1996/97 cars that had the higher pressure hoses installed or if your hoses have been replaced and / or the pressure relief valve (PRV) installed. The system puts out 1600psi! Now you need to understand that installing the PRV on an already stressed system (old hoses) gives you no guarantee because they could still be a problem. You should be aware of the problem and inspect the hoses at the latch once you identify the hose is beginning to separate consider replacement and minimize the roof operation. Moving and bending the hoses is not recommended.
OK, now you got me wondering. How easy is it to get the the trim plate off the windshield, to inspect the hoses?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm wondering the same, the JITS instructions aren't very good.

Also, are the $220 AB hose kits the way to go?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Getting the trim off isn't that difficult, but there are a couple of hidden screws underneath the black rubber at either end that need to be removed first....

Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

To get the top plate off is a matter of a few screws on the top you do not need to do anything on the bottom side. The hose is a little hard to see but visible for inspection. As for the hoses Jaguar had a repair kit that did not perform as expected so it was discontinued. The replacement Jaguar hose is the same pressure rating hose that failed, no change. The 2 hoses on my page are the only ones that I would recommend at this time.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
mbates50 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Looked at your replacement hoses. Good work!!

The new hoses run thru the rocker panel back to the pump?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by mbates50
Looked at your replacement hoses. Good work!!

The new hoses run thru the rocker panel back to the pump?
Actully over the rocker panel, then over to the drivesahft tunnel, under the carpet, under the back seats, back to the pump.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

All the information on replacing the hose and more is on my web page.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Rear Windows

When my hose went I Open The Valve on The Pump and disconnected the Power Plug - White Connector to the Pump.
And was able to Operate the Rear Windows and not Run the pump.
Hope This Helps!
Mike R

Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

For once I'm glad not to be in a club!! My hose issue happened at the pump end. Hoses ordered but did have an equally bad mess to clean up in the rear quarter panel. Hope my amp and cd changer survive!!
I'm having trouble finding the fluid, even been given several different fluid options. What is the brand for an 02 and where can I get it??
BTW, the video is not available on youtube!! Did you take it down??

Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

NAPA Auto parts carries Pentosin CHF-11F Pentosin CHF 11S Hydraulic Oil (1 Liter) : Amazon.com : Automotive. This is the only approved fluid.

Gus does not have a video, but he has instructions on his website: JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource:

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Stat with the original fluid Pentosin CHF11S it is available locally at NAPA, AutoZone and AdvanceAuto and I think Toyota & Nissan or you can order it from Amazon.com. As for the replacement procedure that is on my page but is not on video.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

The video I was referring to was the wife's green shower but now it's back up!! Now I'm counting my blessings!!

Gus, I've been studying your instructions and unless I'm missing something, the only ones I can find on your site include the ram repair concurrent with the front hoses? Are there any steps that can be passed over for the front hoses since it looked like the speaker removal is for the side rams. And the carpet removal by way of the sill plates. I noticed in the photo the plate is removed but carpet is still down so is it still a matter of fishing the hoses? As for the top it's self, is partial open best to access the area? I'm sure a lot of this will be obvious as I start but as they say, "knowledge is power"!

My mechanic specializes in Jaguar but he admits he's never had to change the hoses. Several pumps but no hoses so he's about as knowledgable as I am at this point, hence my reason for attempting this my self.

To open the top manually, I unlock the latch with the tool at the pump through the plugged hole in headliner, then turn the key on pump so top lowers by hand?
As a side note, I have noticed very soiled area around the hand hold on the top headliner, making me wonder if this was a known issue and the dealer just topped off the pump to make functional long enough for me to purchase. The muck in pump area looked very dirty with a new clear green layer on top.

Sorry so many questions but this is the first major repair I've attempted on this car unlike my former xjs which I knew like the back of my hand!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Use this link for the hoses

I did not remove my sill plate I just ran the hose under the carpet from the console.

You have a lot of questions and it would be best that you call me. I am available all day! If I busy I will tell you.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out this doc with pictures, and once you get familiar with it talk to Gus and he will save you boat loads of effort and time. He did for me.

Kal
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...jagxkr2001-doc

Originally Posted by philhef
The video I was referring to was the wife's green shower but now it's back up!! Now I'm counting my blessings!!

Gus, I've been studying your instructions and unless I'm missing something, the only ones I can find on your site include the ram repair concurrent with the front hoses? Are there any steps that can be passed over for the front hoses since it looked like the speaker removal is for the side rams. And the carpet removal by way of the sill plates. I noticed in the photo the plate is removed but carpet is still down so is it still a matter of fishing the hoses? As for the top it's self, is partial open best to access the area? I'm sure a lot of this will be obvious as I start but as they say, "knowledge is power"!

My mechanic specializes in Jaguar but he admits he's never had to change the hoses. Several pumps but no hoses so he's about as knowledgable as I am at this point, hence my reason for attempting this my self.

To open the top manually, I unlock the latch with the tool at the pump through the plugged hole in headliner, then turn the key on pump so top lowers by hand?
As a side note, I have noticed very soiled area around the hand hold on the top headliner, making me wonder if this was a known issue and the dealer just topped off the pump to make functional long enough for me to purchase. The muck in pump area looked very dirty with a new clear green layer on top.

Sorry so many questions but this is the first major repair I've attempted on this car unlike my former xjs which I knew like the back of my hand!