XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My XK8 had a bad day.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My XK8 had a bad day.

So guys, I started my day taking my baby out for a spin. On the highway and I see a pickup in front of me with personal belongings piled high. Before I could even move a lawn chair flies out of the back of this truck and hits me in the bumper and hood. Holy crap. The driver keeps going. I pull them over and the gal is clueless. I'm pissed and nuts now. Check this out. Not even "I'm Sorry from her". I'll probably end up in small claims court. My insurance will fix it just fine but she was a real piece of work. Lets see what her insurance says. Police report and everything I need but she gets to walk away while I have to go to the body shop and deal with the nonsense. The moral of the story is stay away from idiots with pickups piled with crap.

Attached Thumbnails My XK8 had a bad day.-jag2.jpg   My XK8 had a bad day.-chair.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

That's really a bummer. Sorry this happened. At least something larger didn't fly out.

Hopefully the insurance will cough it up and you'll at least get a respray of the front to hide all those little rock chips and such.

The following users liked this post:
convgto69 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM

You know what gets me nuts. This car had no issues with her body. No reported accidents nothing. For a 17 year old car she looked great. I was on my way to my friends shop to set up having my seats recovered in new skins. That was it and this car was looking great. Like you said my shop will do a nice job but its the idea. Now I feel a little better. Venting!!! Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carfax

That sure sucks I think the worst is yet to come.When carfax gets hold of the info yor XK8 will have a bad carfax report. They get there information from police reports and ins companies .Yes her ins co will pay the bill but though no fault of your you suffer with a blemished carfax that will deminished the resale value. Enjoy this forum keep up the good work you guy. Happy Motoring to all.

convgto69 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM

As minor as the incident is , it's still going to show probably. I will update as she gets repaired.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I never follow people close, even in my old pickup truck..

In this case, I hoped you learned, not to follow people (idiots) too close.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Received 4,170 Likes on 3,636 Posts

ouch -what a bummer!!!! Not sure how NY is but can you file a diminished value claim (See member Jon89's thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-today-118681/ ??

Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I know how you feel. I was driving down the interstate at 75mph and the car ahead of me goes over a truck tire recap and tosses it in the air! It landed just at the bumper and then drivers door. $1,600 later and I still remember the driver who tossed it up looking in her mirror as I am trying to keep control and not swerve into the next lane.
LaRue

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Jag is at body shop awaiting adjuster. did not realize the chair came up behind the rear tire on the drivers side and clipped the quarter on the bottom. More scrape marks from this $10 lawn chair. I will update as this progresses.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

take the chair chair manufacturer to court. In this Obama left wing world it must be the chairs fault.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Not funny at all. Let's see how you react when someone else's stupidity damages your vehicle....

BobF (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Not funny at all. Let's see how you react when someone else's stupidity damages your vehicle....
Lighten up--I thought it was pretty funny. Not everyone wants to go through the effort of filing some "diminished value" claim for every scratch or ding that an automobile might encounter.

Doug

Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Our car wasn't "scratched or dinged". It was hammered all along the passenger side and more than two months later we're still battling problems caused by the other party....

You never know when you may be next....

Old 07-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

sorry to offend. Just being funny. We all have been there, it does suck.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

when all is done, can you give us your opinion upon the "paint match" on your front end? I'm curious about how close the painters can get to your existing colour, as I'm about to do a touchup on my 2007 nose.

convgto69 (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jonscot
when all is done, can you give us your opinion upon the "paint match" on your front end? I'm curious about how close the painters can get to your existing colour, as I'm about to do a touchup on my 2007 nose.
I will keep you all updated. In the big picture it was an accident and no one got hurt. The girl called me and apologized. It sucks but I am documenting the damage so at least I can show the car was not a wreck. I plan on keeping her for quite some time. I rarely sell my toys. I'mlooking for a coupe same body style but would like the same color. Thanks again guys.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

One time I was in a parking lot in a diff car then my jag and some beater van was backing out and I knew they were going to hit me and they did, popped my front blinker lense.
So we get out I ask for her insur, she starts acting ODD, so I get the card and call the number, it is bad. So I am thinking this is not good, she does not have insur. I knew I could fix my car with ease and cheap so I was like, lady you don't have insur how about you give me whatever cash you have on you and we can call it a day. She had 25 bucks. I took it and left. ha ha ha ha

Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
One time I was in a parking lot in a diff car then my jag and some beater van was backing out and I knew they were going to hit me and they did, popped my front blinker lense.
So we get out I ask for her insur, she starts acting ODD, so I get the card and call the number, it is bad. So I am thinking this is not good, she does not have insur. I knew I could fix my car with ease and cheap so I was like, lady you don't have insur how about you give me whatever cash you have on you and we can call it a day. She had 25 bucks. I took it and left. ha ha ha ha
A bit like the story of a previous 2000 Acura sedan we owned. When the car was still near new we were gassing up at the pump when a van next to us started slowly rolling towards the car. It was like a slow motion nightmare with not enough time to do anything. Crunched the passenger door and luckily the van which was owned by some local church had insurance. Never occurred to me to file a claim for "diminished value" even though the car was fairly new. But I wasn't planning to sell the car anytime soon so the impact of having had the door repaired from a previous accident (the repair looked as good as new) would not have been significant in terms of what I could or could not get for the car.

Doug

Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

List it all. Depreciation, rental, time-lost, etc etc.
Present it to judge in small claims.
Best of Luck
TheCounty

Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Jonscot,
I will have had the nose painted on my 2002 xkr 3 times during this year. First time was just to get rid of 140,000 miles of road chips, second time was a week or so after the first time when a large stone took about a 2" chunk of paint off, and the third time (today) is because while at Home Depot for five minutes a couple of weeks ago, I came out to find the side of the bumper scraped around the driver's side fog lamp back to the wheel well. Because the bumper is not metal, it takes the paint a bit differently and never matches perfectly, especially on darker colors. On my 2010 XKR in liquid silver, it is having some body mods done this week, and includes a respray of the front bumper, hood, passenger door, new side skirts and rear diffuser. I am anxiously awaiting to see how it turns out. I'll report back at the end of next week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My XK8 had a bad day.