XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number Plate Sticker look

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking

I love the look of the stuck on plate, but I doubt it is legal. Suits the style of the car and does make it look E type ish. Lovely looking car, but would improve if you put your grill on, mine is still to do.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

I quite like mine although I have no idea what bits were used to achieve it - done by a previous owner. XK Racer might know.
However .......... it wasn't particularly well done - the horizontal chrome bar has been broken during installation and is secured with a small black cable tie on the right of the middle section and the right hand side is not straight as it isn't fixed. One of these days I'll take it all to bits and do it properly

Name:  FRONT-GRILLE_zpsad65f031.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  53.8 KB

Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

so far so good with my sticker number plate - i'm wondering if the upcoming non tax disc/ camera reading your number plate to verify you have tax will cause any problems tho'.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Wink

Just MHO, if they cannot read the front plate they will not be able to check the tax dis or trace you LOL's
Not that this is a recommendation of course.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought if they want to stop me and moan about my plate let them. its my car and i will blag it and get them to look at how beautiful the car is and hopefully get away with it.

to quote an N.W.A song "F**k The Police"
Originally Posted by steeevo

Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 AM

Hey - u and i are both driving round London with a leaper and a stick on plate? but - UGZ ? why UGZ? i assume that's a private plate ...
Looking at it - these cars were really not suppose to have a normal number plate spoiling the beautiful face.
I agree - if i get stopped i'm going to say that law only applies to post 2001 cars and hope they swallow it - i doubt saying it's beautiful will work - ha ha. worth a try tho'.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I suspect that a car designer in the UK designing a car to be
sold in the UK would be well aware that the front plate is a legal requirement.

This all goes back to the suspicion that red cars get more tickets.

Why? Because boy racers like red cars and get noticed more.
It's a vicious circle.

If a few XK owners like to drive around with non-compliant front plates
and argue when stopped, then all XK's become suspect.

Last edited by plums; 09-28-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:26 PM

You dont usually see a leaper and a stick on plate. I didnt like the leaper when i bought it but i like it now and it will be handy when i get married in december to use it for the ribbon as im driving myself to and from the church in it.

I prefer your smaller plate to mine also Its not a personalised plate im stuck with "ugz" im affraid.

Went to the local pub today and when i left guess what was parked next to me......................an e type. Getting used to the look now

Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 AM

yeah i was the same - the leaper was already on it, my only worry is that some little f*cker will try to tear it off, i live in a pretty posh part of London but still my neighbour shouted at a little b*stard who was preparing to ride his mountain bike up the nose, bonnet and roof - he had his front wheel resting on the nose of the car ready to go - if i'd have caught him it would be in the papers next day ...
I watched two cops walk past the car last week and they didn't even bat an eyelid at the front plate being a stick on one.
They've got more to do with their time here.
They just don't look good with a number plate stuck on it's face - without it transforms the car, SO much better - i don't know about you but having an XK8 isn't the easy path, rebellious even, and if they want to hassle me about the plate as is - then i'll try to charm them - i am expecting some hassle from next Month on - i suspect if they have a road side inspection i'll get pulled in ...
One of the best things i like doing in London is to drive home thru Chelsea with Motorhead/Public Enemy/Sex Pistols etc blasting out - they just do not expect that kind of music to be coming out of such a beautiful car. ha ha.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 AM

Have you got a new grill yet, im thinking of making one out of some mesh.

I no about the music haha, i DJ and like a bit of drum & bass and house music so i have it blasting out and people dont expect to see a 26 year old driving an xk8 listening to some deep house with a baseball cap on. I get some looks when out and about.
I love it

Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 AM

re the grill - i'm still undecided - mines is as it came - i like yours as it is - the Aston Martin wannabe grill look has me thinking - i like the chrome bar going across with the black at the back like yours - i'm not sure how to go about getting your look.
26 huh? your insurance must be as much as the car cost ..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 AM

As for my grill that is how it comes standard.

No one can beleive how cheap my insurance is including me, its the cheapest car i have had to insure under £300 fully comp.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 AM

re the new excise duty tax for cars in UK from Oct 1st - going to be monitored by ANPR cameras - BUT dodgy people could just find the same car ( autotrader or ebay etc) get some plates made up and drive around - as long as the other car is legal - they can't tell the difference of course ... bloody mad if u ask me.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your car is 2001> !

Originally Posted by LondonXK8Boy
but - i'm sure i read somewhere that only applies to vehicles from 1998 or 1997 on (edit - see below - it's Sept 1st 2001 on) - i'm gambling on the cops not knowing that - if and when i get stopped i'll put that to him and see what happens - i'll also further confuse him by saying that putting a number plate in front of the intake causes it to overheat - arguable i'm sure) - i see sports cars here in London with stick on number plates like this quite frequently and in Kensington most Lamborghinis don't even have a front plate at all ( fining these guys £60 is like fining most of us 10p) - i'm thinking of putting my plastic numberplate in a rear footwell and if i get stopped i'll put it on the dash - he won't fine me for that i'm sure - maybe a warning - you'd only get stopped by a cop with nothing better to do and in London - that's rare.
I'll say that only applies to cars from the end of 1998 - see what he says.
Graham please note that you're quoting 2001 regs and i don't really think you should be worried about it being discussed on the forum - we're not asking the forums permission as if that would help or save us from being prosecuted - i was told the leaper on a Jag is considered illegal as it could cause damage to a pedestrian in a crash - so where does it end? Can u imagine a policeman telling a Jaguar owner that he shouldn't have a leaper on his bonnet/hood - man that would be funny).
Tinting your windows past a certain level is illegal - loud exhausts are illegal.
The previous owner said to me to say to a cop (if i'm stopped) that the leaper is attached by plastic connections that will easily come away on impact.
I'm guessing there is probably a certain leeway re these stick on plates by the police - this car or maybe an old MG say - ok - a new Mondeo? ... No.

this is what i'm saying - seems to suggest cars registered before Sept 1st 2001 aren't governed by the new rules :
The Regulations make the use of mandatory plates containing characters of the specified size in the prescribed font (with or without the international distinguishing sign) optional on vehicles either currently registered or first registered before 1st September 2001 with effect from 21st March 2001.

Error page

the argument is down to the driver affixing the number plate as close to the vertical as possible - well you can argue that it is, mounting in front of the radiator does restrict air flow and you could argue that affixing it underneath it frequently catches on speed bumps - he'll get fed up and send u on with a warning i reckon ...
I know it's an old thread but I'm surprised that nobody noticed that your 51plate car id obviously post 2001 and subject to any changed rules!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

The point is its presumably a 2001 car, which is why he will try and baffle plod by saying the new regs only apply to post 2001 cars (rather than post September 2001).

I do hope though that the police have better things to do given that legal or not legal only depends on whether it was registered in August or September. Honestly is the car a danger to society because it wasn't registered on August the 31st?

No chance of getting away with it here in Spain. The car would automatically fail its MOT, even if the police didn't stop you first.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at a loss as to all the discussion about pre/post 2001, September etc.
The fact of the matter is that 51plates BEGAN on September 1st 2001!
I think the owner may be a little mixed up because the model he has was available from 1996 onwards??
I only found this post as I was looking into fitting a stick on to my XKR, but I think it should go where the badge sits ideally.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had mine on quite a while now, live dangerously, the leaper, NO!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
gerardbooth (03-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I too hate the position of the number plate. I have had my bumper de badge and when I fit my XKR grill will be putting the number plate on the bumper.