Sponsored by:

Oil in the airbox - might be an easier fix than you think FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Oil in the airbox - might be an easier fix than you think FAQ

Hello guys;

I bought my coupe back in June 2011, and almost immediately started worrying about oil that was showing up in my air filter. After some reading, some thought and a couple of new parts, I've solved the issue...and the source of the problem was NOT typical. So I'm posting this up for the next guys who might worry over oil in their airbox.

My pre-purchase inspection report for the car listed "oil in the airfilter and airbox...likely indicates excessive blow-by." Egads. But I bought the car anyway...the price was too good to pass up (maybe this is why!).

As I put my first 2,000 miles or so on the car, I watched the airbox carefully. Sure enough, oil was typically found in the air intake tube, and on the filter. The oil was coming into the intake from the Full-Load Breather Tube, which connects the intake to the right-hand cam cover. The MAFs was getting dirty, and the oil had also fouled the throttle body to the point that I experienced a stall at speed, on the highway. Egads again.

Here's a snap of a new air filter, after only 400 miles of driving:

Name:  Oilintheairfilterafter400milesforumimage.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  84.2 KB

This much oil in the intake usually means one of two things:

1. THE EXPENSIVE PROBLEM: Excessive blow-by. So much compression leaks past the pistons that positive pressure in the crankcase literally blows oil mist out of any available hole. Could be nikasil, or just a worn out engine. No real fixes here but a rebuild or replacement engine.

2. THE CHEAP or FREE PROBLEM: Blocked part-load breather orifice. This opening on the LEFT hand cam cover connects via a tube to the throttle body and EGR. It's a small opening that can become blocked with carbon deposits, forcing higher than normal crankcase pressure that can result in oil blowing out the RH cam cover and into the intake. Clearing out the blocked part-load breather orifice can be done easily with a 3/32" drill bit. Unfortunately for me, mine was completely clear...which meant my problem was likely excessive blow-by. Right? Nope.

As it turns out, my RH cam cover was simply missing its oil separator. Beneath the hole for the Full-Load Breather tube- the tube that connects to the air intake- there is supposed to be two small wads of metal mesh, held in place by a metal plate. This simple design helps to prevent liquid oil and oil mist from being blown up into the breather tube at higher engine speeds.

Once I knew to look for it, I could immediately see that my oil separator was simply missing. When I disconnected my Full-Load Breather Tube from the RH cam cover, and looked down into the hole in the cam cover, there was no oil separator blocking my view of the camshaft. Here's a snap of what that looked like:

Name:  Full-LoadBreatherorificewithNOoilseparatorinplaceforumimage.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  76.4 KB

If you look into the breather hole in your RH cam cover and see a camshaft, as in the photo above, your oil separator is not in place. And you are likely suffering with oil in your airbox, along with a dirty throttle body and MAFS.

The oil separator is snapped into place when the cam cover is manufactured. At some point during my car's maintenance with a previous owner, it was removed. God knows why...I sure don't. Here's how the oil separator is constructed...

Name:  Camcoverwithoilseparatorapartforumimage.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  65.6 KB

Now I was starting to feel better...maybe my problem wasn't excessive blow-by. Maybe I just needed a new cam cover, with the oil separator in place. Here's a photo of the old and new cam covers, side by side.

Name:  Camcoverswithandwithoutoilseparatorsforumimage.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  73.0 KB

I installed the new RH cam cover, with the oil separator in place. Now, obviously, when I look down into the hole for the Full-Load Breather Tube, I can't see a camshaft anymore. Just the metal of the oil separator. This is what you want to see when you look into your own...

Name:  Full-LoadBreatherorificewithoilseparatorinplaceforumimage.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  119.6 KB

I am happy to report that I've now driven 3,000 miles with the new cam cover and oil separator in place. I have had NO OIL IN MY AIRBOX. The filter, intake tube, MAFS and throttle body are all clean. Have a look:

Name:  Cleanairfilterafter3000milesofdrivingforumimage.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  67.4 KB

So, the take-away is this: if you've got oil in your airbox, yes - you might have excessive blow-by, or you might have a blocked part-load breather. But before you do anything else, do a quick check to make sure your oil separator is in place. Just pull off the Full-Load Breather Tube where it connects to your RH cam cover...but do it carefully, because the plastic is probably brittle.

Thanks for all the help you guys provide. My hope is that some guy worrying about oil in his intake- and using the search function in this forum- will benefit from this particular journey of mine.

Last edited by The Coupe; 01-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
The following 22 users liked this post by The Coupe:
angel51 (06-26-2021), Augeter (11-21-2014), BeO (03-29-2012), bigcat777 (10-16-2013), Bob OB (10-11-2013), Brutal (01-24-2012), ccfulton (11-10-2014), danand (05-31-2012), Davidall (08-09-2018), J.A.G. (01-20-2022), JimC64 (01-23-2012), johnd8008 (10-11-2013), joycesjag (01-24-2012), OregonJag (01-24-2012), oyster (10-11-2013), pitifulpluto (10-11-2013), RCSign (10-11-2013), RDMinor (08-29-2017), Salo (08-08-2017), Stumpy (03-06-2012), SuomiJohn (12-09-2012), waterloo (01-26-2012) and 17 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Coupe, great write up. Needless to say that this kind of firsthand advice can save lots of time and $$$$. Now on my list....check the part-load cam cover. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

+1 Very nice indeed. Goes in my files. Thanks, Steve

Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks for the write up but the photos have not made it across the Atlantic.
I can't see them :icon_cry

Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malbec
Thanks for the write up but the photos have not made it across the Atlantic.
I can't see them

Hmmm...not sure why that would be, Malbec. The photos are in an album in my profile. You can go have a look there, if you like.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Can't find them there either.
Must be me, not to worry.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Nice write up Coupe and maybe a simple fix for some others.
Worth adding to the FAQ's I think.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one Coupe.....thanks for sharing

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
dennysjag (12-15-2015), Lufferman (12-21-2014)
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice write up, no pics tho, here or in the album.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Nice write up, no pics tho, here or in the album.
That's really strange...I uploaded the photos to an album right here on the forum specifically to avoid that problem. And some people can see them just fine.

Dearest Mods, could one of you please look into the problem that Skid and Malbec are having?

As the icon dudes say,

Old 01-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 1627

Dunno what the issue is, the pics are showing just fine!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 1616

Now??

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Hello guys;

I bought my coupe back in June 2011, and almost immediately started worrying about oil that was showing up in my air filter. After some reading, some thought and a couple of new parts, I've solved the issue...and the source of the problem was NOT typical. So I'm posting this up for the next guys who might worry over oil in their airbox.

My pre-purchase inspection report for the car listed "oil in the airfilter and airbox...likely indicates excessive blow-by." Egads. But I bought the car anyway...the price was too good to pass up (maybe this is why!).

As I put my first 2,000 miles or so on the car, I watched the airbox carefully. Sure enough, oil was typically found in the air intake tube, and on the filter. The oil was coming into the intake from the Full-Load Breather Tube, which connects the intake to the right-hand cam cover. The MAFs was getting dirty, and the oil had also fouled the throttle body to the point that I experienced a stall at speed, on the highway. Egads again.

1. THE EXPENSIVE PROBLEM: Excessive blow-by. So much compression leaks past the pistons that positive pressure in the crankcase literally blows oil mist out of any available hole. Could be nikasil, or just a worn out engine. No real fixes here but a rebuild or replacement engine.

2. THE CHEAP or FREE PROBLEM: Blocked part-load breather orifice. This opening on the LEFT hand cam cover connects via a tube to the throttle body and EGR. It's a small opening that can become blocked with carbon deposits, forcing higher than normal crankcase pressure that can result in oil blowing out the RH cam cover and into the intake. Clearing out the blocked part-load breather orifice can be done easily with a 3/32" drill bit. Unfortunately for me, mine was completely clear...which meant my problem was likely excessive blow-by. Right? Nope.

As it turns out, my RH cam cover was simply missing its oil separator. Beneath the hole for the Full-Load Breather tube- the tube that connects to the air intake- there is supposed to be two small wads of metal mesh, held in place by a metal plate. This simple design helps to prevent liquid oil and oil mist from being blown up into the breather tube at higher engine speeds.

Once I knew to look for it, I could immediately see that my oil separator was simply missing. When I disconnected my Full-Load Breather Tube from the RH cam cover, and looked down into the hole in the cam cover, there was no oil separator blocking my view of the camshaft. Here's a snap of what that looked like:

If you look into the breather hole in your RH cam cover and see a camshaft, as in the photo above, your oil separator is not in place. And you are likely suffering with oil in your airbox, along with a dirty throttle body and MAFS.

The oil separator is snapped into place when the cam cover is manufactured. At some point during my car's maintenance with a previous owner, it was removed. God knows why...I sure don't. Here's how the oil separator is constructed...

Now I was starting to feel better...maybe my problem wasn't excessive blow-by. Maybe I just needed a new cam cover, with the oil separator in place. Here's a photo of the old and new cam covers, side by side.

I installed the new RH cam cover, with the oil separator in place. Now, obviously, when I look down into the hole for the Full-Load Breather Tube, I can't see a camshaft anymore. Just the metal of the oil separator. This is what you want to see when you look into your own...

I am happy to report that I've now driven 3,000 miles with the new cam cover and oil separator in place. I have had NO OIL IN MY AIRBOX. The filter, intake tube, MAFS and throttle body are all clean. Have a look:

So, the take-away is this: if you've got oil in your airbox, yes - you might have excessive blow-by, or you might have a blocked part-load breather. But before you do anything else, do a quick check to make sure your oil separator is in place. Just pull off the Full-Load Breather Tube where it connects to your RH cam cover...but do it carefully, because the plastic is probably brittle.

Thanks for all the help you guys provide. My hope is that some guy worrying about oil in his intake- and using the search function in this forum- will benefit from this particular journey of mine.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Your pics are not there because many firewalls block depending on how theyre loaded. I use photobucket and link and never have issue. But youre pics are not here now at work. Bet i go home and theyre on my laptop though

Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

No pics for me......... I use the forums album section with no probs, I dont even see the [img] coding either, just blank.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

OK guys,

For those who haven't been able to see the pics, I've reloaded them through Photobucket, rather than from the forum album.

Hopefully they can be seen by everyone now.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Perfect and good right up

Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Excellent write up - hope it makes it to the FAQ section!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

There those pics are, did you meen to include the one of the dogs??
i would be concerned about where that plate and filters went

Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Hello guys;

Great post...

The following users liked this post:
Fn2damax (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative...

Quick Reply: Oil in the airbox - might be an easier fix than you think FAQ