XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 xk8 HELP.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1997 xk8 HELP.

Hello, I haven't been on this forum lately, but just perchased my 3rd 1st gen XK8 and have some issues that i didn't encounter with my 1st 2 and am looking for some insight.... Abs light and stab control fault light on- i suppose this is pretty strait forward but would be nice to know where to start when it comes to replacing parts.
the puzzler for me is that when i drive the car over .5 hour and it gets hot (NOT overheat, just up to temp) and i turn the engine off, it then will not start again for .5 hour! It will crank all day but won't turn over. I have been told fuel pump, fuel return valve, crank or cam senser and even a new ecm. Is there anyone knowledgeable that can give me some insight before i just start throwing $ at it? Also I have noticed that when it is hot that it is impossible to remove the oil fill cap, could this be related? Somehow pressure build up in the engine? I'm assuming it may.
third and much less concerning but no less annoying issue..... It seems every day i have to reset the windows. I had this issue with all my othe xk8s but only seemed to happen every 6-8 months. (This is the issue that causes the window to go down an inch everytime you pull the door handle, and it doesn't have the memory to prevent it from going up too far when the door is open).
Thanks in advance for and help or isight.
-Mitch

Last edited by itwasuited; 09-26-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:29 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

I reckon a simple re-ask in the XK8 Tech section should get specific answers to all the ailments.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:40 AM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

I've moved your post from the General tech section to the model specific XK8/XKR section for better response.

The ABS/Stab light could be sensors or ABS module - cleaning sensors is easiest starting point.

Pulling codes and providing code # here will allow others to better assess what may be happening with the no start issue. And yes oil filler cap will do that when engine is hot

windows dropping - sure sign of weak battery - you can do a couple things - look at date code on battery if over 3 years, recommend replacing or go to Autozone or Advance Auto and have them check the electrical system but most likely culprit is battery

Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by itwasuited
Hello, I haven't been on this forum lately, but just perchased my 3rd 1st gen XK8 and have some issues that i didn't encounter with my 1st 2 and am looking for some insight.... Abs light and stab control fault light on- i suppose this is pretty strait forward but would be nice to know where to start when it comes to replacing parts.
the puzzler for me is that when i drive the car over .5 hour and it gets hot (NOT overheat, just up to temp) and i turn the engine off, it then will not start again for .5 hour! It will crank all day but won't turn over. I have been told fuel pump, fuel return valve, crank or cam senser and even a new ecm. Is there anyone knowledgeable that can give me some insight before i just start throwing $ at it? Also I have noticed that when it is hot that it is impossible to remove the oil fill cap, could this be related? Somehow pressure build up in the engine? I'm assuming it may.
third and much less concerning but no less annoying issue..... It seems every day i have to reset the windows. I had this issue with all my othe xk8s but only seemed to happen every 6-8 months. (This is the issue that causes the window to go down an inch everytime you pull the door handle, and it doesn't have the memory to prevent it from going up too far when the door is open).
Thanks in advance for and help or isight.
-Mitch
+1 on the battery at least in relation to the windows and quite possibly also the ABS and stab. control lights. You should be looking for at least 12.5 volts rested.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 on the battery. You should probably describe the can't start in more detail. Is it that you just get nothing when you turn the key to start? I've seen that happen with direct relationship to my battery level, though it always starts the 2nd time.

John

Old 09-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 on the battery
I also had the ABS/Stability Control stuff going on in my 1997 XK8. Sent out the ABS module to ASI for a rebuild and never had an issue again.

Nick

Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Sand the bulkhead connector points for the windows issue (although it COULD be either the door lock mechanism or door module) and for the ABS- search the forum on how to repair, it is usually a cold solder joint and can be fixed pretty easily.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

My ABS/Stab control fault was a front wheel speed sensor. Cleaning fixed it.
+1 on pulling codes - the Torque Pro app for Android less than $5, or the free version, and an ELM327 OBDII code reader from Amazon or ebay less than $20 is a worthwhile investment not just for codes but some real time data such as fuel trims, etc..