XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and pinion help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rack and pinion help!!!!!

does anyone have an exploded view of one,, I wondering what keeps the fluid in the rack ,mine seems to be held in by the booths,,,,, can this be the case ,,, im wondering if the previous owner left some type of seal off of the rack i can see an o ring on the outside of the rack where the boot goes but i cant believe the boot holds the fluid,,, can some please help me,,, looks like im in a bind.......

Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion

The rubber boots at each end of the steering rack DO NOT hold power steering fluid; they are essentially dust covers to protect the seals at each end of the rack to keep contaminants away from the seals. The rack, combined with the power steering hoses and pump is a closed system which when the steering wheel is turned applies pressure to one side of the piston within the rack. Should you have fluid in the boots, you will probably be low on power steering fluid in the reservoir. The "O" ring you refer to outside of the rack could very well be a seal that has become detached from the end of the rack, letting fluid escape. I attempted to find an exploded view via a web search of "Rack & Pinion Steering" which does have some exploded views but none so detailed that shows the seals at the end of each rack.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thanks

Seems like the rack is sealed from the inside and has some type of o ring that will allow the rods to move inside and out,,, apparently both of my racks sides are busted ,, when i removed the booths they were filled with fluid and my tank was low,,,,, ordered another rack , too hard to rebuild with out the right tools......

Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

did you explore coventrywest for their rebuilt unit? They are a member of the forum and have helped out in similar situations in the past.

The following users liked this post:
xke1963 (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The o-ring in question might be the one on the outer ends of the rack. It provides a secure seal for the boot as the boot is more of a plastic than rubber. As far as shaft seals, they are pressed in metal encased seals. Very doubtful that they would have dislodged and if they did, you would not see them from the boot ends. As mentioned in another post, fluid in the boots is a sure sign of leaking.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack & Hose Rebuild

A few years ago, I rebuilt my 1997 XK8 rotary valve on my steering rack because of a leak. After rebuilding it and still having the leak, I found that the original fluid hose had cooked. It is a known issue and replacements are routed differently and away from the exhaust pipes. As additional precaution, I wrapped mine with aluminum foil to reflect the heat.

The rotary valve seal kit was from British Parts UK. I may have gotten the hose from Coventry West. Although it looks like a complicated job, it is fairly easy for any amateur mechanic who wants to save $$$$ over having the Jag dealer replace the rack. They do not rebuild them.

Attached is a complete procedure with photos. If the attachment doesn't come through OK, then email me at BlackRiverExp@att.net for a copy.

Bill Unger, 1997 XK8, 2007 XKR, 1969 E-type

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Steering Rack Photos

here are the photos ....

Attached Thumbnails Rack and pinion help!!!!!-01-seal-kit.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-02-orientation-marks.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-03-column-clamp.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-04-rack-out-car.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-05-orientation-marks.jpg  

Rack and pinion help!!!!!-05-pipes.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-06-housing-removal.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-07-housing-top.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-08-rotary-valve-shaft.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-09-pressing-out.jpg  

Rack and pinion help!!!!!-10-housing-bore.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-11-pinion-shaft-seal.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-12-press-parts.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-13-pressing-.jpg   Rack and pinion help!!!!!-14-hole-hose.jpg  

Rack and pinion help!!!!!-15-hoses.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

^^

wow, good documentation jag-nut, I've added this thread, with your nice contribution to the FAQ thread for the xk8-xkr, it'll come in useful for others in the future. We appreciate the time and effort to share this information with us. gold star.... well, how about a goldish looking trophy?