XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ins. Co. Totaled My Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Ins. Co. Totaled My Car

I posted this already but could not find it anywhere. Car problems and computer problems...ugh!

Anyways, looks like I'm going to just be putting the money in the bank.

Anything comparable to my car is a million miles away.

I have to go get my things out of it today. It will be heart wrenching for me

A man I had inquired to about his engine is wanting to buy the car if I can buy it back from the ins co. Don't know anything about doing this. He's in California, I'm in Tn.

He has a perfectly good engine. I have a perfectly good car. What a shame.

Any comments, thoughts?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi: Sorry to hear that. First, did your ins. co. treat you fairly? If they didn't, who are they so we can promote the good will. Second, what did they offer you? You don't have to accept the offer, you can negotiate a better deal.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  19.3 KB

+1....you can try and negotiate a better deal as cohibarandy says

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cohibarandy
Hi: Sorry to hear that. First, did your ins. co. treat you fairly? If they didn't, who are they so we can promote the good will. Second, what did they offer you? You don't have to accept the offer, you can negotiate a better deal.
I'm working on getting them to get me more money. It's not a bad offer, I just believe I should get more.

My previous jag, actually a 1997 not an 1998 as I recall, XK8, I bought pre-owned and when they totaled it I got $36,000. I thought that was super since I paid a little more than that. I had it less than a year. I can't remember exactly what year I bought it. I think it was about 6 years old though.

This car is 2001 that I bought in 2005. It's an XKR, they are offering me $19,900 for it.

Just seems like a big discrepancy to me.

The insurance co is Hartford. (AARP...you know) I can't remember if that was who we had for this first jag.

Seeing the picture of your pretty red car makes me sick! I didn't get very many pictures of mine. I'm going to snap a few today if I can hold my hands steady!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Updated.....

Last edited by cohibarandy; 07-19-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by BriteRed01XKR
I posted this already but could not find it anywhere. Car problems and computer problems...ugh!

Anyways, looks like I'm going to just be putting the money in the bank.

Anything comparable to my car is a million miles away.

I have to go get my things out of it today. It will be heart wrenching for me

A man I had inquired to about his engine is wanting to buy the car if I can buy it back from the ins co. Don't know anything about doing this. He's in California, I'm in Tn.

He has a perfectly good engine. I have a perfectly good car. What a shame.

Any comments, thoughts?
I had a car a number of years back that the insurance company wanted to total. I accepted a slightly smaller payment and had it repaired using that money plus just a few hunderd more of my own because I wanted to keep the car. I ended up keeping the car another 10 years!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-19-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

My question is how did your insurance get involved in a "my oil pressure light came on and my engine died" oh never mind you have a xkr that would be "i hit the oil cooler on a curb and lossed all my oil going down the road"
unthinking design flaw imo. Oh well.
You should be able to do a buy back for 10-20% of totalled value based on your particular insurance companies criteria.
I paid 10% back on mine

Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by cohibarandy
Hey.. You'll find another car. Go for an '04-'06 xkr. Add about $5 K to the $20 K they are offering . You'll be happy again. Fly out of town and drive it home. Life's too short not to have a jag. Tell Hartford ins. co. to blow you, and you can tell them to blow me too.
WHAT PART OF THE "FEMALE" ANATOMY SHOULD THEY BLOW SINCE BRIGHTREDXKR IS A WOMAN

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The other tip off that this is a woman is in post #4. Every man I know recalls the precise month and day they obtained or sold a car they love let alone the year!

Doug

Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Hang on a sec.... they are paying you $20K for the car when you can get a decent, used engine installed for under $5K? I know it's an XKR, but even an R engine has to be less than $6K or $7K.

And there's no body damage? The car is going to end up with a salvage title over nothing more than a seized engine. That's ridiculous!

I just looked on Cars.com. There are fourteen 2001 XKRs for sale with a price range of $14K to $34K. The $34K car is ridiculously priced and it will never sell. It's $10,000 higher than any other 2001 XKR. The next highest has a $24K asking price, but it only has 22K miles on it. The other 12 cars range from $14K to $20K for their ASKING price, so unless there is something special about your car, I think your insurance company is being generous with their $20K offer.

If you're really dying for another red XKR, take that $20K and buy this one in New York. It's out on Long Island, which is only about a 14 hour drive from Spring City, TN. I'm sure you can negotiate the price down by a couple thousand dollars. It's a 2003, too, so you'll have the 4.2 engine with no nikasil, tensioner, water pump, or thermostat problems.

2003 Jaguar XKR Base, $22,995 - Cars.com

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The other tip off that this is a woman is in post #4. Every man I know recalls the precise month and day they obtained or sold a car they love let alone the year!

Doug

Doug, I'll get you my "pretty!"

I am feeling that my family and friends hate that they I drive a Jag and they don't. Seriously, do not get much encouragement in that department.

I really would like to invest a little bit and get a newer model. That's what we did the last time and yes, I was finally happy when I got it. I had to wait awhile. Bought a Yukon in the interim to tote more folks around. Then we found this one and hubby traded in his T-Bird to get it, which I did not want him to do. He loved his car but said we could not afford to own three vehicles. Mind you, we now do.

The mind of a man......hmmmmm....what can I say?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Hey.. You'll find another car. Go for an '04-'06 xkr. Add about $5 K to the $20 K they are offering . You'll be happy again. Fly out of town and drive it home. Life's too short not to have a jag. Tell Hartford ins. co. to eat you, and you can tell them to eat me too.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Most insurance companies will sell the car to you, post-settlement, for 10% of the settlement.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Wow... I just found this 2006 XKR for only $20K on cars.com. 2006 Jaguar XKR Base, $19,900 - Cars.com

It has 83,000 miles on it, but still, it looks like a good deal to me. And it comes in the best looking color combination, too!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Beav
Most insurance companies will sell the car to you, post-settlement, for 10% of the settlement.
WOW! If you can buy your old XKR with a perfect body and a seized engine for only $2K, that would definitely be worth it. The wheels and tires alone would be worth almost that much, assuming they aren't scratched up and the tires have decent tread left.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by BriteRed01XKR
Doug, I'll get you my "pretty!"

The mind of a man......hmmmmm....what can I say?

Hey--just pulling your chain. By the way, you should have no problem finding a newer replacement for your 2001. Moreover, the fun is in the searching (another man thing when it comes to cars)!

Doug

Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
WOW! If you can buy your old XKR with a perfect body and a seized engine for only $2K, that would definitely be worth it. The wheels and tires alone would be worth almost that much, assuming they aren't scratched up and the tires have decent tread left.
Ya, most insurance companies are lazy. After a settlement they usually dispense with the vehicle through a collection of dealers, junkyards, etc. Occasionally, but very rarely, will they run them through an auction. But, if you ask, they generally will accept 10% of the settlement and return the car to you. If you love the car and can live with it having a 'rebuilt' title, consider the math: $20k - $2k for the car. Now $18k - let's pull a number out of the air...$7k for a used engine, installed. You're $11k ahead! That's new leather, paint and transmission plus a heckuva vacation!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by Rev Sam
And there's no body damage? The car is going to end up with a salvage title over nothing more than a seized engine. That's ridiculous!
As quoted by Beav
Ya, most insurance companies are lazy. After a settlement they usually dispense with the vehicle through a collection of dealers, junkyards, etc. Occasionally, but very rarely, will they run them through an auction. But, if you ask, they generally will accept 10% of the settlement and return the car to you. If you love the car and can live with it having a 'rebuilt' title, consider the math:
I haven't bought a car back for quite a few years, but It use to be in Illinois, If they were totaled and you bought it back the title never changed hands.
So you could rebuild it with a clean title.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

After some effort on trying to buy back my 'totaled' first XK8 I found that almost any XK8/R will bring a minimum of $3k at salvage auction. I had $3k quotes from recyclers sight unseen. But that stills leaves plenty of room from your $19k price. Mine was truly 'totaled' as the firewall and A column was bent but someone bought it before the auction at a price the insurance company was happy with.

Take the money and run to a later model.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM

All very helpful information. I really do appreciate it.
I know I sound like I'm ungrateful for what they offered me. Just understand
it is not that, it's just I do not know.

There are a lot of cars out there for sure with prices and miles that run from seemingly too low to way too much.

My car has no body damage. The wheels are a bit scuffed so they aren't worth that much. The tires are new.

When I bought my car there was a built-in radar system. I was told this was a $2,000 upgrade, and if I'm not mistaken a Jag dealership owner friend of a friend told me this.

I cannot find any paperwork for this to show proof that the car has it and what it is worth. (I took a picture of it)

Also, my car has a phone in it. May be obsolete. I never used it.

Anyone know anything about the radar and the phone?

Thank you.

(I have taken pictures of my car. I will be adding them to wherever they are suppose to go...the Garage? I guess that would be? ...so look there, I will include the blurry picture of the radar detector lights that are mounted on the far left topside of the dash)

Quick Reply: Ins. Co. Totaled My Car