Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Real Cream Puff for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default A Real Cream Puff for sale

Guys, just passing this along for any one interested, no personal interest.

I came across this car locally while perusing the cars for sale on cars.com. Was shocked to find this car in Hawaii so I was in Honolulu today for work and stopped by to check it out. Was very interested in driving it as my 03 is the only Jaguar I've driven and I've never felt the front end was correct. I've replaced everything under the front except the coils and inner tie rods but I still feel the handling is loose.

Anyway I inspected this car and for a 97 it is exceptional, started perfect, no noise from the engine at all, nothing out the pipes, clean from end to end with a few exceptions I'll list. No service history available as the dealer that has it now picked it up at a local auction. Minor records in the glove box, state inspections, oil change, etc. nothing notable. Has a car cover in the trunk that looks very used and a decal from a high end apartment complex on the windsheild. Mileage is very low 21200 and the car shows it. Tires are in near new condition, inside not a blemish, no wear other than some dis coloring on the plastic piece on top of the seat belt mount. The top liner is dirty but looks like it would clean up and the A pillars need to have the fabric re glued as well as the top windsheild panel. The top is tan and dirty but again I think it would clean up. Top works great, cycles correctly and no evadance of leaks. I checked the pump and it has the Green fluid at the proper level. AC, tilt wheel, all lights work great, no warnings. The drivers side window does not drop when the door is opened so likely needs a new micro switch, minor $5 repair. All hoses look great, no cracks or signs of expansion wear anywhere under the hood. No leaks other than the power steering resavor is covered in fluid so it likely either has a leak or a bad cap, fuild level was good. No dings or dents anywhere, the trunk lid is faded a little, I'd say the paint overall is a 9 out of 10. Does not have NAV or premium audio. All seat controls work as well as windows and mirrors. Under body is great, even the front under body plastic panel is intact with no damage.

The transmission shifts as smooth as butter and the steering is very tight. This is what I was interested in as I said my car feels loose. This car drives like I expected a XK8 to drive very tight and responsive but does pull slightly to the left.

Anyway just wanted to pass this on should someone be looking for a great low mileage car. It cost me $1100 to ship my car from CA to Hawaii for reference. From talking to the dealer it sounded like they would come off the price some so this may be a great buy even with shipping costs.

Now back to the drawing board on getting my car to handle correctly...damm!

1997 Jaguar XK8 , $9,900 - Cars.com

Attached Thumbnails A Real Cream Puff for sale-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jandreu:
1100me (09-21-2014), Juke (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Since in another thread some members thought that a coupe with 143k miles was worth $8k, they should be falling all over themselves to get this one.

I would like to know how you replace the door/window actuator for $5. The fluid around the ps res is probably because they overfilled it, which brings up the question as to why it needed to be filled in the first place. The deck lids on these cars are very susceptible to oxidation, I don't know why. I've paid to have several deck lids repainted.

Brett

The following users liked this post:
Juke (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I would like to know how you replace the door/window actuator for $5.

Because that's how much it cost me to repair mine. The micro switch was $5 and my labor was free, very easy repair. You do not need to replace the complete lock mechanism. The window works correctly with the window switch, it just does not drop slightly when the door is opened. This is a common failure of the micro switch in the door lock assembly.

Last edited by Jandreu; 09-21-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have found a way to just replace the micro switches, you are a step ahead of the rest of us. Even in the videos my reverend sam, there is no mention of a way to do this. I'm not trying to argue, I just would like more information about it because I always thought you had to replace the whole actuator. Could you go into detail a little?

Brett

Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Best Cars
If you have found a way to just replace the micro switches, you are a step ahead of the rest of us. Even in the videos my reverend sam, there is no mention of a way to do this. I'm not trying to argue, I just would like more information about it because I always thought you had to replace the whole actuator. Could you go into detail a little?

Brett
Yes, please do tell.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

See here post #6. For micro switch details. I believe Gus's site also has details on this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

The following users liked this post:
Best Cars (09-23-2014)