XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed drained battery,recharged,reinstalled,now no start? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Just thinking here. (Dangerous I know) But Sid said his drivers door doesn't work with the ing. key. If this is true, wouldn't that leave something out of the security loop? If something is left out, wouldn't that or, couldn't that possibly be an issue to starting?
Chuck
05/XK8
The door key is one way to lock/unlock the doors and enable/disable the alarm and start inhibit systems. The remote does all of those also.l From what I can tell, the only thing he is missing by not having the proper door key is the ability to raise/lower the top from outside the car. And of course to unlock the car if he loses the remote or the remote battery dies.

edit:
Sid:
One more slight possibility. If your ignition and door lock cylinders do not match, then apparently either the door lock or the ignition lock have been replaced. If the ignition lock has been replaced, then the code the dealers have for the lock will fit the door but not the ignition, and if you lose your only key, the ignition lock will have to be replaced again. But the more immediate consequence of this may be that some connection in the steering column that was made when the lock was replaced may have come loose or disconnected. Just one more possibility you might want to check before you have the vehicle towed to a dealer.

Last edited by bakntyme; 12-14-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:00 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
According to the vehicle care handbook step 2:
Do not run the jump start vehicle's engine when boost starting a Jaguar vehicle.
Hi RJ237, that is what my first attempt was, when that failed is when I tried with the donor vehicle running, so the issue was there prior to using a running donor.

Thank you
Sid

Old 12-15-2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by bakntyme
The door key is one way to lock/unlock the doors and enable/disable the alarm and start inhibit systems. The remote does all of those also.l From what I can tell, the only thing he is missing by not having the proper door key is the ability to raise/lower the top from outside the car. And of course to unlock the car if he loses the remote or the remote battery dies.

edit:
Sid:
One more slight possibility. If your ignition and door lock cylinders do not match, then apparently either the door lock or the ignition lock have been replaced. If the ignition lock has been replaced, then the code the dealers have for the lock will fit the door but not the ignition, and if you lose your only key, the ignition lock will have to be replaced again. But the more immediate consequence of this may be that some connection in the steering column that was made when the lock was replaced may have come loose or disconnected. Just one more possibility you might want to check before you have the vehicle towed to a dealer.
Hi bakntyme, the key I have works in the ignition and the trunk lock, so i suspect the other owner replaced the door lock or entire door.

Strange that the passenger side door doesn't have a lock, chances are if it did like most, if not all other cars, that i would still be able to unlock one of the doors. Lol, first car I ever saw like that.

Thank you,
Sid

Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My exact situation exactly with my 2005 XKR 100. Had the battery tested, the 9-year old German (Vartas?) Jaguar original oem unit, and it was deemed junk. Put in new battery, only upgrade to 1,000 Amps at 32 F and 900 at 0 F (oem was 680 Amps) and all the issues went away. Started quick as a cat, purred, had to reset radio code and "Reteach windows" and then do the 10 mile drive to acclimate the ECU and now I don't have the windows doing strange things. Jag wanted $125 for the tow to shop, $62.50 for the install, and $352 usd for the battery, an AGM non-vented type. II paid Autozone $156 usd for the battery and got $10 back when I brought back the old one. The changing of the battery was a snap- my girlfriend did it for me except for lifting it out and in to learn how. You need a star tool for the strap bolt and a 10 mm wrench for the loosening of the terminal leads, some Vaseline and a few minute's time- less than 15 minutes. Thanks to the Forum for all the help.

Last edited by Arland Green; 12-15-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

So Sid, we are now 4574 views and 145 posts, exactly 1 month into this problem. We are all waiting with baited breath for you to fix this problem, what's taking so long my friend?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
So Sid, we are now 4574 views and 145 posts, exactly 1 month into this problem. We are all waiting with baited breath for you to fix this problem, what's taking so long my friend?

Hi Jandreu, well, only so many hours in a day friend. I'm going step by step and as quickly and efficiently as possible, I so miss driving my Jag and I hate the fact that it is immobile due to something as normal as a drained battery and jump start, this is such a huge deal with this brand, unbelievable.

If this could be dealt with by a professional for a reasonable price i would go for it, but the dealership is a whole other beast with no guarantees of a resolution or honesty.

Will keep trying all options and possibilities to avoid the dealership and post as it progresses.

I had a simillar security immobilizer issue with a 99 Corvette, I towed it to the dealer twice on a recall at their expense and they still failed to resolve the issue permanently both times, so I gave up on their promises and found a $50 bypass module online, installed it in minutes, problem was solved.

Thank you,
Sid

Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
...this is such a huge deal with this brand, unbelievable. ...
Have you tried actually installing a known good battery with a full charge? Not hooking one up with jumper cables, but actually installing it? If that does not work, then your problem is NOT a common one with this car. If you refuse to take the vehicle to a dealer your options are to find a mobile locksmith with the right equipment, or turn the car into a planter.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Sid,
You've more then likely checked the starter relay, but if your like most of us, you don't even know where it is so you can check it.
Go to the beginning of the XK8/R forum and look for "Starter Relay". May help.

Chuck
XK8

Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 AM

Have you tried actually installing a known good battery with a full charge? Not hooking one up with jumper cables, but actually installing it? If that does not work, then your problem is NOT a common one with this car. If you refuse to take the vehicle to a dealer your options are to find a mobile locksmith with the right equipment, or turn the car into a planter.
Hello bakntyme, I have not tried to install another battery because as I stated in an earlier post, I had the opportunity to have a AAA agent assist me in a pretty effective way and it didn't work. Though I think it's a pretty long shot at this point that it will work, I will try to install another battery and get back to you on it asap.

Thanks alot, much appreciated
Sid

Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Sid,
You've more then likely checked the starter relay, but if your like most of us, you don't even know where it is so you can check it.
Go to the beginning of the XK8/R forum and look for "Starter Relay". May help.

Chuck
XK8
Hello Chuck, I checked and swapped the relay which is located under the hood on the passenger side above the wheel well, but no change.

Thanks alot, much appreciated,
Sid

Old 12-21-2014, 02:19 AM

Hello all, been quite busy and haven't gotten around yet to trying the most recent suggestions and/or attempts remaining on my list of ideas, but I will post back asap.

I would like to wish Jaguarforums.com and everyone of you wonderful and kind fellow members and your loved ones a safe and happiest of holiday season, and I sincerely thank you all again so much for everything.

Best wishes,
Sid

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 xjr new fob flip key reprogrammed but wont start

Hey all... i lost the only Flip key transponder i had. when i bought the car it came with only one. So i ordered one online.. took it to jaguar, and had it cut. Then i programmed the key. All doors lock/unlock trunk works like its supposed too.. but it will not start. after searching the internet, i understand there's something else i need to do.. Am i doomed to return to jaguar for a bloody cash sacrifice? lol.. or is there a way to program it without going to jaguar?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Despite the item description saying
X100 XK - Full compatibility excluding flashing/programming modules
I found where one of the experts here, WhiteXKR, says it will work to program the car for a new key. Maybe that exclusion only applies to completely re-programming modules. I don't know why he has not re-visited this thread to suggest it, unless it is related to the dangers involved in its use. It costs about the same as a dealer charge for one time key programming. Might be worth a try for both of you. But read, and consider seriously, all of the warnings contained in that ebay listing and use it carefully.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
This Jaguar Diagnostics clone system is the easiest, most available route that avoids a potentially aggravating installation process: Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

I have successfully programmed additional XK8/R keys with it. I am not affiliated with this seller or this product.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RichReDD
Hey all... i lost the only Flip key transponder i had. when i bought the car it came with only one. So i ordered one online.. took it to jaguar, and had it cut. Then i programmed the key. All doors lock/unlock trunk works like its supposed too.. but it will not start. after searching the internet, i understand there's something else i need to do.. Am i doomed to return to jaguar for a bloody cash sacrifice? lol.. or is there a way to program it without going to jaguar?
Hello Rich. You posted in the "XK8/XKR" forum, not the "XJR" forum. Our cars typically have a separate remote and key, so the problem with yours is less apparent. Your "key" conrains both a remote transmitter to lock and unlock the car, and a key transponder to identify the key as valid for starting purposes. Your problem is that you programmed the car to respond to the remote transmitter, not to the key transponder. Both need to be programmed, and the key transponder is more difficult and secure, usually needing a dealer to perform the task. The dealer should have told you this when the key was cut. But see the above post.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Despite the item description saying
I found where one of the experts here, WhiteXKR, says it will work to program the car for a new key. Maybe that exclusion only applies to completely re-programming modules. I don't know why he has not re-visited this thread to suggest it, unless it is related to the dangers involved in its use. It costs about the same as a dealer charge for one time key programming. Might be worth a try for both of you. But read, and consider seriously, all of the warnings contained in that ebay listing and use it carefully.

Hi bakntyme, all that is needed to be purchased is the diagnostic cable, the seller also states the following;
The software is completely freeware and publicly available by JLR for anyone to have access to. Britishdiagnostics hold no responsibility for the software and are only providing the sale of a diagnostic cable and the freeware software pre-downloaded.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
Hi bakntyme, all that is needed to be purchased is the diagnostic cable, the seller also states the following;
The software is completely freeware and publicly available by JLR for anyone to have access to. Britishdiagnostics hold no responsibility for the software and are only providing the sale of a diagnostic cable and the freeware software pre-downloaded.
I believe that is a legal disclaimer to attempt to insulate the seller from liability when you bork your car. But I do not believe that the software is actually available for free downloads elsewhere. You can search. I do not know if it is easily duplicated by someone who bought it. I would guess not, as if so, there would be dozens of them listed on ebay.

But it is interesting that he charges $93 for the cable, and another $63 for the "freeware" software.

Last edited by bakntyme; 12-23-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Hi everyone, I have re-tested all fuses, the ones that didn't light up with the test light i removed and tested for continuity and all passed.

I have also swapped the battery with another, the result is the same, no starter action.

I tried one more time to set off the alarm and then to shut it off by turning the key in the ignition but doing so didn't shut off the alarm, had to use the remote.

I also checked with the test light if power is coming to the relay that is separate from the others on the passenger side under the hood over the wheel well, power does come to it.

It seems to be either the security issue or the starter. Since the key isn't sutting off the alarm, i am leaning more towards security.

So if i download the software and buy the diagnostic plug, does anyone know how to reprogram the key to the security system or how the dealer does it?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM

I believe that is a legal disclaimer to attempt to insulate the seller from liability when you bork your car. But I do not believe that the software is actually available for free downloads elsewhere. You can search. I do not know if it is easily duplicated by someone who bought it. I would guess not, as if so, there would be dozens of them listed on ebay.

But it is interesting that he charges $93 for the cable, and another $63 for the "freeware" software.

He says "available by JLR ", anyone know who JLR is?

Thanks,
Sid

Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Sid, Jaguar Land Rover or our parent Company.

Wayne

The following users liked this post:
Hi-Velo-Sid-E (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by cjd777
Sid, Jaguar Land Rover or our parent Company.

Wayne
Hi Wayne, not sure if the correct ones but i found the following video and the links to the downloads, but which is the correct download version?

Their statement;

The Jaguar, Land Rover Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) will be the only equipment that provides complete diagnostic coverage of current and future Jaguar, Land Rover vehicles. The IDS package replaces the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS). The IDS application will perform the identical functions of the WDS and allows dealership technicians to diagnose and serviceJaguar, Land Rover vehicles. As the new diagnostic tool, IDS will be required to perform diagnostics on future model year vehicles. One IDS Package is recommended for each WDS in the dealership.

IDS is enhanced WDS software that was modified to run on a standard laptop platform, and utilizes the VCM and VMM. Moving IDS to a laptop helps technicians by integrating access to both diagnostics and service information on a single, powerful machine.

I also clicked the software demo video which makes the process look like it is pretty simple to use;

NEW LINK TO FREE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD: http://mhhauto.com/Thread-IDS-SDD-La...ngual-11-44-GB

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 12-23-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Removed drained battery,recharged,reinstalled,now no start? Please help