XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scuttle shake ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Scuttle shake ?

In our efforts to purchase an X100 XK8 or XKR convertible, I have taken a few for a drive.

They included a 2000 XK8 conv , a 1998 XK8 conv and a 2000 XKR Coupe.

Now my previous conv experience was my 2001 Mazda MX5 which we had for a few years. I don't recall having any scuttle shake in that.

It might just be my imagination but I reckon I felt a front end sort of vibration in both the convertibles but not the coupe.

Do XK8's suffer from scuttle shake?

Pete

Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

scuttle shake? as in with the top down the car has a shake to it over bumpy roads? I would say yes but compared to other converts I have had this car with a solid front end (known for bushings and the like to go out even at lower mile cars) is pretty good. Coupe would not cause it is a fixed roof car.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

MX5/Miata well that is a diff car, you can't compare them, that car even with a conv top is so tight you just can't compare them Miata is a car in a diff league/bread as far as steadiness of the car with the top up or down. I have owned three of them personally, and two xk8 converts. Sorta unfair to compare them.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Agreeded, I have a MX5 as well as a XK8 and both are exceptional at what they are designed to do. The XK8 being a Grand Touring car and the MiataMX5 being a road car designed to be a track car. Different animals.

But to answer your question I'm not sure what you mean by scuttle shake. The XK8 is not as tight in the front as one would expect and as others have said the front suspension wears quickly and requires maintenance sooner than one would expect.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Understood guys regarding the MX5 vs the XK8. Sports vs Touring.

I wasn't necessarily making a comparison , just that the MX 5 was my only previous long term drive convertible experience. It handled like a roller coaster.

I used to love pulling into a tight freeway on ramp in the MX5 with a big Aussie V8 muscle car right up my butt and then just flooring it to corner at full noise. The muscle boys caught me on the straight but the look on their faces was gold.

To be honest , I don't even know what scuttle shake is. The feeling I am experiencing is hard to explain. Kind of like a vibration right through the car. Very subtle but there. Top down or top up.

Do Bilstein make a shock for the XK8?

It may well have been front end bushes?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Here's my take. I bought a 2000 XK8 last June. The cowl shake and vibration was not pleasant. I also own a Mercedes SLK and that car is solid with the roof down. I replaced all bushings in the front end including shocks, and the shake was about 50% better. Replaced the steering rack bushings and it is now 90% better. Actually an enjoyable drive. Not as tight as the SLK but a much better tourer.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by peterg19
Understood guys regarding the MX5 vs the XK8. Sports vs Touring.

I wasn't necessarily making a comparison , just that the MX 5 was my only previous long term drive convertible experience. It handled like a roller coaster.

I used to love pulling into a tight freeway on ramp in the MX5 with a big Aussie V8 muscle car right up my butt and then just flooring it to corner at full noise. The muscle boys caught me on the straight but the look on their faces was gold.

To be honest , I don't even know what scuttle shake is. The feeling I am experiencing is hard to explain. Kind of like a vibration right through the car. Very subtle but there. Top down or top up.

It may well have been front end bushes?

A convertible is going to be inherently less rigid than a coupe for obvious reasons. I think that what you are feeling when you push one of these cars hard and over rough roads is normal. It is just not going to be a tight, taunt sports car feeling like a go cart.

There are a few things that you could do to stiffen it up a bit, and I am sure that some of the very knowledgeable posters on this forum will give you some advice.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by johns55
Here's my take. I bought a 2000 XK8 last June. The cowl shake and vibration was not pleasant. I also own a Mercedes SLK and that car is solid with the roof down. I replaced all bushings in the front end including shocks, and the shake was about 50% better. Replaced the steering rack bushings and it is now 90% better. Actually an enjoyable drive. Not as tight as the SLK but a much better tourer.
When you say "steering rack bushings" are you referring to the rubber parts that go around the steering rack mounting brackets?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I too had an MX5 and agree, fantastic in the corners, but that is about it IMO. No power, terrible ride, cramped, poor stereo. Oh, I liked the retractable hard top. I traded mine for my 2004 XK8. It is a shock going from one to the other. I still drive the same roads, and places that jarred my kidneys in the Miata are smooth as silk in the Jaguar, and when I glide over these same places today, it still surprises me after nearly 4 years with the Jaguar. I agree with everyone that has already posted that the 2 should not be compared with each other..

Anyhow, there are a few posts here with owners reporting cowl shake or vibration, with a sort of resonance, particularly over irregular surface/patched roads. On the freeway, mostly smooth road, I experienced a cowl shake vibration that resonated throughout the car, starting at the back and traveling to the front it seemed. It was subtle, and wasn't consistent. As others have pointed out, there is a LOT of isolating rubber (bushings, mounts, etc) on these cars, and it is particularly soft, which means it deteriorates fairly quickly. Time is the factor more than is miles. While these car never will be comparatively tight, they don't resonate vibrations unless rubber parts are worn. As a long time reader of the forum, the most commonly worn rubber parts are front upper shock mounts, upper control arm bushings, front sway bar bushings, front lower shock bushing, end link bushings front and rear, rear lower shock bushing, engine mounts, transmission mount, front subframe mounts, rear subframe mounts. But hey, that's all.

And yes, Bilsteine is the OEM shock manufacturer and are readily available.

The following users liked this post:
GordoCatCar (01-21-2020)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by peterg19

As said above yes, but you also mention you're looking at XKR as well, these will have adaptive suspensions, the replacement shocks/dampeners are quite pricey fyi maybe help you decide one way or another.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
When you say "steering rack bushings" are you referring to the rubber parts that go around the steering rack mounting brackets?
Yes. They looked fine, but after replacement, there was a big difference. Cheap too.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

the first Gen MIATA is the best car I have ever owned/driven in terms of pure fun factor. Yea to bad they did not make more power but in that small car it is not that bad. If you want power you can always do the V8 swap from a 5.0 stang or the GM LSx motors into it.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

peterg19,
In answer to your original question, the answer is "yes!" Whether you call it "scuttle shake," cowl shake, shimmying or whatever, when I bought my nearly perfect 2002 XKR convertible about 5 years ago, on the ride home, I was shocked at how much vibration there was coming out of the steering wheel. I got home (from northern California) and immediately went onto the forum to read about other's experiences and proceeded to balance all four wheels (these cars are very sensitive to balancing) and change out all of the front end bushings with polyurethane ones. It is much improved, but still more "scuttle shake" than I would prefer especially if compared to my 2010 XKR coupe. However, it is acceptable to me now, and I've since put another 100,000 miles on it.

Interestingly, the 2002 is a more relaxed ride and not as nervous and very enjoyable even compared to the 2010, just not nearly as sporty or solid. (and horrible over dips and bumps) But after not driving my 2002 for about a month as it was having some maintenance work and front bumper respray, when I picked it up and drove home, I realized how enjoyable the ride was and how much I missed driving it.

If you end up buying one, just make sure the tensioners have been or will be updated, and get a car with the most complete service history possible.

I love my 2002 XKR vert and will keep it forever, simply a gorgeous automobile.

Attached Thumbnails Scuttle shake ?-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   Scuttle shake ?-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM

I suspect that others may well have noticed this too, but I came to realize that there was a lot more "shake" in my windshield and dashboard area when I rode with the top and the windows down. When I put the windows up it pretty much goes away unless I am going over some pretty rough roads. I can't say that I like too much "shake", but I do enjoy the GT ride more than the jarring sports car ride offered by some cars.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

if you don't like stiff rides and you thing the miata is bad, try a Mini, that thing is like a go cart.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by brgjag
if you don't like stiff rides and you thing the miata is bad, try a Mini, that thing is like a go cart.
A business associate of mine picked me up at the Orlando Airport in one of those small two seat Mercedes cars a few years ago and it felt like we were riding in a bucking bronco going down the interstate. I hate that short wheelbase sort of ride and I think that the back seat (?) area which lengthens the wheelbase by a foot or more adds a more sleek look and much better ride to our cars.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

We had a Mini Clubman, it was a fun car but any ride over about 4 hours would start to make you tired.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheap or over inflated tires will make this car drive horribly. Make sure the tire sizes (staggered) and inflation are correct and the tires are a reputable brand. Like others have stated though even a perfectly spec'd car is going to have a plush ride compared to many sports cars, it shouldn't shake though. Nobody would confuse the chassis for rigid at any length.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

The convertible has some extra strengthening struts compared to the coupe.

One X-brace below the engine, two struts above the engine from underneath the scuttle panel to the spring towers and two struts by the rear axle visible from below.

Make sure all of them are tightened to the specified torque.

Last edited by oyster; 03-04-2015 at 05:37 PM.