XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOP!! Read This Before You Remove Your Center Muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Mina has a sale on the rear muffler delete pipes for $299. Removing just the center muffler increases sound just a tad if thats what you are looking for. Id reccomend an H or X in place. Removal of the rear mufflers will wake it up a bit more than that. For me I liked that the Mina kit gives you some nice looking tips/finishers to boot. For that $299 it's a steal in my opinion and looks much better than factory. If you find it to loud you can alway have some high flow mufflers installed and still have the new tips and pipes of the mina kit
Just pulled the trigger on the Mina rear delete. Some have said it's hardly any louder. Got the oval tips.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Loxmth
Well after all I've read I'm torn between Mina rear muffler delete or mid small mufflers and better pipes,no squish, from first muffler/ factory H pipe and rear mufflers.
I was going to spend the money on the Mina air intake but I'm thinking a new filter and remove silencer mod is the way to go. Heard K&N clogs stuff with its oil,not good if true.

You can also get high flow non oiled filters. I have a speed sensor issue in my trans that I will be hopefully taking care of this weekend along with new valve sleeves in the TB. If I can get that taken care of I will be working on an intake for my XKR which includes the Mina Air filter kit. Why? For the price they are going for now its a good base to start with IMO. My XKR has exhaust an dmy xjr has air filter mods. Dont know what I like better...That loud blower whine or exhaust!...My xKR will have both soon!

Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Just pulled the trigger on the Mina rear delete. Some have said it's hardly any louder. Got the oval tips.

Same tips I have. I can tell you one thing for sure. If you remove both the rear mufflers and center it gets LOUD. That show mine is now. But I think the rear delete was a smart move and the price certainly right.Its amazing how the engineers that design exhausts do thier job..really

Old 08-01-2014, 03:52 PM

You can also get high flow non oiled filters. I have a speed sensor issue in my trans that I will be hopefully taking care of this weekend along with new valve sleeves in the TB. If I can get that taken care of I will be working on an intake for my XKR which includes the Mina Air filter kit. Why? For the price they are going for now its a good base to start with IMO. My XKR has exhaust an dmy xjr has air filter mods. Dont know what I like better...That loud blower whine or exhaust!...My xKR will have both soon!
High flow non oiled? Who's ? I think that's it for mods to performance.
The Mina delete and a high flow in the stock box with the silencer disconnected.
Now if I could find some that could reprogram the trans I would put posi 3:55 rear gears. I just love driving the damn thing.
So you never answered. Are the Mina deletes much louder?

Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM

BTW I love the sound of the silencer disconnected,sounds like an old quadrajet( not sure I spelled that right) from an old Z28.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

High flow non oiled? Who's ? I think that's it for mods to performance.
The Mina delete and a high flow in the stock box with the silencer disconnected.
Now if I could find some that could reprogram the trans I would put posi 3:55 rear gears. I just love driving the damn thing.
So you never answered. Are the Mina deletes much louder?
I highly recommend you go with 3.77 gears. It is much more fun than the 3.58 ratio. I went thru every option starting with 3.27 then 3.58 & finally the 3.77. You should also go for the speedshift & blue top solenoids for the transmission.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

The combination of rear muffler delete and center muffler delete is loud. People love the sound actually. Me I think its a bit to loud for my taste. I posted a video somewhere. At idle its pretty quiet. When you rev in neutral it will pop a little but driving it just screams with no pops or backfires. I believe amsoil was one company that had non oiled high flow filters but they are discontinued...May still have some. There are a few others if you search around as well

Old 08-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I highly recommend you go with 3.77 gears. It is much more fun than the 3.58 ratio. I went thru every option starting with 3.27 then 3.58 & finally the 3.77. You should also go for the speedshift & blue top solenoids for the transmission.
How did you over come the transmission throwing codes problem. On the XK8 with the six speed if you change the gears or even tire size the trans doesn't know when to shift because it's linked to wheel speed.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Good points
Originally Posted by aode06
Before I get to the exhaust, Ill explain where most of us are missing stock power.
1. Premium octane fuel is not being used,the knock sensors will detect this and retard timing.
2.Old oxygen sensors are metering air, but very slowly.The computer compensates and this robs a ton of power and creates bad gas mileage.
3.You have a fuel filter under the car, no one has ever bothered to change,this takes away power in the mid and upper where you need it most.
4.You have spark plug galleries full of oil,the oil will heat up and create vapors of oily liquid, that will cause misfires.
5.MIS-ADJUSTMENT OF THE THROTTLE CABLE. Most are adjusting to remove slack WRONG,adjust until you can barely tap the gas pedal and the engine revs up immediately.
6.Tire pressures are set to the factory 26psi. This creates a drag! Try riding your bike with low tire pressure and see how hard you have to work to get going and stay going. 35-40psi is where its at,also consider rolling resistance tires.

7.You have a worn engine that needs to be replaced or you buying a new car.If your engine is ticking knocking any noise thats internal beside the timing tensioners, its time for another car,unless you are full pledged in keeping the one you have.

Now the exhaust

The factory exhaust was tuned to make immediate power from idle to the mid range, in conjunction with transmission shift points. The 4.0 is a small displacement high revving engine with DOHC heads.

The drone comes from the exhaust turbulence.

To combat the drone, the exhaust must be equally balanced,meaning if you cut something off, something of similar restriction must be applied to maintain the proper power to noise balance to a point where you gain performance without too much noise.

2. Since the engine is exhaling better, it needs to inhale better. Simply remove the air silencer off the factory airbox and install a K & N air filter.

3. The pipes almost crush flat over the rear axle is the most restrictive point of the exhaust.

4.It's a gain worth every penny you spend. With me personally seeing a XK8 pull 309 HP and 318 Ft lbs of torque without the tune at the engine in proper running shape.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

How did you over come the transmission throwing codes problem. On the XK8 with the six speed if you change the gears or even tire size the trans doesn't know when to shift because it's linked to wheel speed.
I have the Mercedes 5 speed transmission so we reprogrammed the TCM.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I have the Mercedes 5 speed transmission so we reprogrammed the TCM.
I see. The 5 speed can be reprogrammed but not the 6.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 5 speed can be reprogrammed but not the 6.
Is this a fact?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To clarify final and existing(?) setup: H (or X) pipe, removed front (common, single) muffler, removed intermediate mufflers (at rear axle), and OEM rear muffler and tips, YES? That means you have only OEM rear mufflers and tips. Can that be correct? Are you still satisfied with sound and overall performance?

Thanks for clarification.

EHT
03 XJR (4.0 S/C) with 6% S/C pulley.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Installed a K&N filter on my '99. Set reduced power off within first 50 miles. Scan gauge, clear, all good. Placed 100's of miles since without light resurface. The filter must be doing something right. PS, installed K&N filter after I reinstalled factory air box. Had " fresh " air system installed. Sounded good. Problem was I could not get enough cool air to intake to be worth while. I noticed on hot days air intake temps excessively high. Rich

Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

Lots of exhaust mods going on.
I'm just happy that my exhaust system is all original and intact.
Am I missing something?

Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well some people like this xj8 to sound like a v8 as when on original exhaust system with 21 mufflers it sounds like a 1.2 vauxhall astra

Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

Oh, I see.
I prefer the sound of money in my wallet.

The following users liked this post:
toaster (06-25-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by trottier.ed
To clarify final and existing(?) setup: H (or X) pipe, removed front (common, single) muffler, removed intermediate mufflers (at rear axle), and OEM rear muffler and tips, YES? That means you have only OEM rear mufflers and tips. Can that be correct? Are you still satisfied with sound and overall performance?

Thanks for clarification.

EHT
03 XJR (4.0 S/C) with 6% S/C pulley.

i have ave only a dynomax ultraflow x muffler which is two in and two out with the 4 rearresonators deleted.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased a 2004 Jaguar XKR in 2018 and the previous owner installed the Mina under axle exhaust system. I love it. Nice sound, doesn’t have that wrap sound when you back off, and not real loud in the car. The Mina system eliminates the two small mufflers, after the center muffler, and they claim their system adds 17 bhp.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mvsbraga
I purchased a 2004 Jaguar XKR in 2018 and the previous owner installed the Mina under axle exhaust system. I love it. Nice sound, doesn’t have that wrap sound when you back off, and not real loud in the car. The Mina system eliminates the two small mufflers, after the center muffler, and they claim their system adds 17 bhp.
My 2001 xkr is lowered and I was afraid that may be to low to the ground. the over axle portion is awfully restrictive looking. Have any photos of it installed from underneath?

Quick Reply: STOP!! Read This Before You Remove Your Center Muffler.