XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Top

Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stuck Top

I bought myself my first Jag last week and am already having problems.
The top went down nicely and hasn't moved since. I read the usual data and found the fluid a bit low. Drained and replaced with recommended green stuff, filling to top line. Manually exercised top 6X with no success. I have the 'valve' correctly positioned for power control, but motor hums for six or so seconds then stops. I did not approach the Latch Area yet. The circumstances at the start of the problem were: dropped car off for new front tires, lowering top so big mechanic could get in. When I left the shop I noticed "check rear lamps" was on. Both brake lights blown. Attempted to raise top and nothing happened. The switch emits and audible 'ding' when actuated, but nothing happens. Perhaps the lines are empty? Car is mint, having only 48K on it, so I doubt it has seen any abuse. I'd appreciate any suggestions to rescue me and my beautiful top down ride.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I think you may have it out of sequence. Try opening the top latch with the T wrench, then raise top manually, making sure you lock it at the top of the cylinders, then close the latch with the T wrench. The quarter windows should then raise on their own.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Not sure what "top of the cylinders" is, but sure I'll encounter it soon. I'll give this a try and let you know if that was the problem. Thanks from Dublin Newbie.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Exercise completed. Top still won't work; rear windows still down. Can hear 'motor' noise when trying to close top, but nothing is happening. I'll start looking at fuses for windows, etc., and see if anything is obviously blown. Meanwhile back at the ranch, any more suggestions?

Old 01-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Received 4,173 Likes on 3,636 Posts

if you are manually exercising the top, to get the windows to raise, the limit switch on the ram has to be engaged - you may have to manually extend the rams to engage the switch.

here is the link to Gus's site that may assist with the issue:
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Ah ha! What we have here is nomenclature failure. What and where are RAMS? Would this require opening/removal of the fascia at the mirror/head/latch? Or, are they in the 'boot'? This is my first Jag so I am completely unfamiliar with its innards. Please, how does one activate these limit switches? Darkness is upon me so I'll have to wait until morning. In the meantime, thanks for that info.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

The rams and the cylinders are the same thing. Sort of like the ones that hold the hood up. They are located next to the rear seat back.

If you click on the link sklimii provided to jagrepair.com you should be able to follow the instructions without difficulty.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 PM

Okay, RAMS or CYLINDERS are located next to the rear seat back, and may need to be raised manually to activate the switches. Should I manually lower the top to begin this exercise, or leave it up? I'll go look for them AND read the bulletin SKLIMII sent me (which I over looked). We are getting closer, I think.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There is American English and British English then there is Jaguar English.

So your hood will not go up!

I had an one time event that left the top down like yours. It took a manual raise and manual lock and manual lower to get the micro switches and the electronics to agree as to where everything was. Everything worked then.

The next step is to jump the up relay connections but try the manual stuff first. Careful, you can bend something if you do not release the ram locks. Not really locks but you must insure you have released their 'fixed' position on both sides.

Last edited by test point; 01-02-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM

I have located the cylinders (I see the pushrods attached to the top frame on both sides). Now, how does one manually raise them (they appear to be fully extended to me, and the top is latched). I can hardly get a hand on them, so do I need to remove the upholstery or seats to get leverage, etc.? I don't want to put a pry bar to this thing and destroy the frame.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

UP is easier than down. It may take two people to raise the top to ensure that it is done evenly but it is only the weight of the top that is the issue. Then firmly latch the front latch manually. I assume you have found the Allen key by the pump by this time.

Then unlatch the front latch and unlock the ram/top pivot by reaching inside the headliner. It is a lot less mysterious the second time. Careful, both sides need to be unlocked and lowered gently.

Make sure it is all the way down then try to console switch.

If that doesn't fix it we will get into the electronics.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am not sure what you have going on but my guess at this moment is that your roof system is confused.

Open the petcock and open the roof manually, close the latch manually now close the petcock check the fluid level on the pump at the top embossed line. Now you need to do a hard reset on your car once you have done that you start the car and push the closed button for the roof and hold it. As the roof closes you will see the latch open the roof will begin to rise (it may stall but keep the button pushed) it should come to the latch and the latch will grab it. Once the latch is closed your rear windows should go up when that is done you can release the close button. This should work but if it does not let us know.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 PM

Top is currently up and locked, hydraulic valve in full clockwise position. Now to unlock latch and....open valve, then manually close after "reaching inside the headliner" and "unlocking ram pivot", which I take to mean making sure it is not still up and locked when I apply closing pressures simultaneously at both side of the top. Once closed, turn pivot fully the opposite direction. Then check the electric switch. Eh?

In any form the English language is nearly impossible to communicate without error.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Gus, welcome to the fray! I think we are on the same page now. I'll do that exactly as prescribed and let all know if that did the trick...tomorrow. I'm up past my bedtime already.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

HARD RESET (hard boot): remove the negative cable from the battery and touch it to the positive post/cable. That removes all the little capacitive stored electrons from the electronics and puts everything back it was at creation.

Gus added the valve which I forgot.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Sat A.M. Performed steps (see below) and nothing happened.

1.Opened P-C (C-CW)
2.Closed latch manually
3.Closed P-C
4.Checked level (even with Upper mark)
5.Disconnected Neg and used jumper wire to 'spark' POS.
6.Reconnected battery

7.Started Car
8.Push UP for closure (timed out 3X)
9.Heard pump/motor noise in trunk, but nothing occurred.

What next? Anybody within a 100 miles want to help, I'll come to you.

Maybe I did something out of sequence?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

If Gus can't figure it out this would be a first

Doug

Old 01-03-2015, 12:38 PM

I'm wondering if the guys at the tire store maybe tried to put the top up and went the wrong way on the switch for a prolonged period. I've pulled and looked at every fuse under the "bonnet" and in the boot. Nothing seemed blown or out of place. I did not go into the door fascia boxes. Their description doesn't seem remotely related to the function of the Top, but then, it is a JAGUAR!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

At the start of the thread you said you had drained the fluid. Did you remove and re-install any hoses when you drained the system?

Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I have company give me about an hour. I need to think about this.

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (01-03-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Top