Sponsored by:

Swapping Sat Nav for Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I have successfully added electronic gauges on the navigation screen:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...traffic-49241/
Wow!!! Excellent work, and as the saying goes theres more then one way to skin a cat..

I think the full compliment of analog gauges in this car, if done nicely, like the factory gauges.. could be a tasteful and functional upgrade.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jgallant
So has anyone so far done a gauge conversion? This thread really sparked my interest, and before I go modifying the engine, I think the first step logical upgrade would be to have an accurate engine monitoring system in place.. I'm now contemplating a set of autometer gauges for the dasy in place of my gps as well. Consisting of Coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost, and perhaps a transmission temp or fuel pressure??

Any thoughts?

The fabrication doesn't scare me at all as I was looking to do my dash over in carbon fiber, by just vacuum molding it. this would allow me to arrange the gauges however looks best.
Yeah, I'd like to do this if I get a 06 XKR. I have no need for a nav system or fancy LCD nav gauges... I'd just like the older 3 gauge face plate. Then again, I was planning on having the full wood set re-veneered with some quality maple burl so matching wouldn't be an issue.

Looks like it isn't going to be an easy conversion. :\

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Well I dont think it would be too bad, plus I could help offset the costs by selling the nav and bezel to someone who wants it..

Re-veneering could be a tough proposition due to the curves around the edges in the original dash, thats why im thinking carbon.. Although I am toying with the idea of adding some laser cut wood veneer accents inlaid into it, perhaps a small leaping jaguar, to class it up a bit.

Once I get working on it, Ill be sure to post some pics

Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Well I dont think it would be too bad, plus I could help offset the costs by selling the nav and bezel to someone who wants it..

Re-veneering could be a tough proposition due to the curves around the edges in the original dash, thats why im thinking carbon.. Although I am toying with the idea of adding some laser cut wood veneer accents inlaid into it, perhaps a small leaping jaguar, to class it up a bit.

Once I get working on it, Ill be sure to post some pics
Check out the burl veneers he has:

British Autowood > Dashboards

Scroll down and look at what he can do for XK's.

Last edited by xenophobe; 04-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM

certainly gorgeous work!! the guy definitely has skill, I wonder how much he charges...

Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

certainly gorgeous work!! the guy definitely has skill, I wonder how much he charges...
You know it's not cheap. I would get all 5 dash pieces, the two door switch plates, the shifter surround and I would also do the door side pieces in highly contrasting walnut or maple flaming burl. I'd expect to pay about $1k for all of it. I really dislike the stock veneer and I wouldn't worry about changing it. I don't think it could hurt any future value and don't care. It would be self-indulgence, pure and simple. I don't think I'd do it for my XK8, but if I got the 06 XKR I'm looking for, I certainly would.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Ive decided when I do it, im going with "Stack" brand gauges.. clean and simple..

Also I got some 24k carbon plain twill that is begging to be put on the dash.. I bough some after seeing what mansory did to there rolls.. http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...d-1024x768.jpg

I also have some 4x4 twill, which is the same used on the pagani zonda f
http://lembutambun.files.wordpress.c...ni-zonda-f.jpg

Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

So has anyone so far done a gauge conversion? This thread really sparked my interest, and before I go modifying the engine, I think the first step logical upgrade would be to have an accurate engine monitoring system in place.. I'm now contemplating a set of autometer gauges for the dasy in place of my gps as well. Consisting of Coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost, and perhaps a transmission temp or fuel pressure??

Any thoughts?...
Have you seen the PLX Gauges (especially the DM-100 & 200)? These look to be a great way to add 'hi-tech' gauges, while using the standard '3-hole' center panel. You still need an analog transducer to get oil pressure (as I don't believe that's available via ODB).

I've not done this - just been making plans for the XK8/R that's in my future!

-Steve

Old 04-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This is where I have got to:

- more difficult than I thought, have recently considered trying to fit an aftermarket satnav behind the dash
- problem is what to do with the buttons on either side
- have therefore decided to pursue gauge swap
- found a company in the UK that can do me an elm veneer on the 3-hole bit of metal
- but it's expensive (about £150, if I recall) and I have to surrender my 'old' dash part
- I have bought the 3 gauges (OEM 'strip' of gauges) from UK eBay for £20
- had a look behind the dash of my car: eeek, harness and plug going into my satnav unit don't look much like the socket on the 3-gauge strip
- stuck again...

I think I would need to change the wiring harness, but I have no idea how much that would be, or how I would fit it (can't see the other end of the harness in my dash, so no idea what it looks like, if it's compatible, or how I could access it).

This is going to be a very long-term mod...

Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Ive got a line on some dash pieces to make some molds off of for the dash from a wrecked xk8, I'm just weary on pulling the trigger on these just yet as I have some bushing replacements and a front brake job to do.. so $$$ is tight for a little bit.

The gauges I have in mind wouldnt require the use of the stock harness so that isnt a worry. The Stack gauges I was looking at are fully electronic, meaning that the sensor would be installed in the engine bay, and just electrical lines would need to be pulled into the dash location.. There not cheap though, like $120-150 per sensor, but the peice of mind knowing everything is in check, and avoiding a potential more expensive repair is worth it to me.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Once I get underway with the molding I could reproduce the carbon, as a veneer overlay for the stock locations. So there would be no need to send out your dash, and it could be fully reversible (depending on the adhesive choice) back to stock.

The question would be how consistent are the dash panels between vehicles? The veneer I could produce in genuine carbon would be around .3-.5mm thick which is fairly rigid.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by thefixer
Have you seen the PLX Gauges (especially the DM-100 & 200)? These look to be a great way to add 'hi-tech' gauges, while using the standard '3-hole' center panel. You still need an analog transducer to get oil pressure (as I don't believe that's available via ODB).

I've not done this - just been making plans for the XK8/R that's in my future!

-Steve
Hmmm that PLX device is pretty slick!! Anyone know how it interfaces with the Jag OBDII as far as codes go?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 PM

I've been playing with the PLX software and paintshop (don't have a gauge, but wanted to see what it might look like). Here's a first pass at a 'common' background for a set of center dials....

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by thefixer
I've been playing with the PLX software and paintshop (don't have a gauge, but wanted to see what it might look like). Here's a first pass at a 'common' background for a set of center dials....
Ooo very slick!! So that can be uploaded for use with the PLX multigauges? If so, I think you may have just persuaded me to get those!!

Also, after looking at my dash again, there is plenty of room to flank both the left and right side of the nav screen and buttons to mount one or two on each side eliminating the need to remove the nav.. It may look a bit more cluttered but i think it can be done successfully

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Ooo very slick!! So that can be uploaded for use with the PLX multigauges? If so, I think you may have just persuaded me to get those!!

y
Yes - I don't have any gauges yet (just got my car, and making sure I don't need to spend big $ on anything else first).

However, it seems that there are really two options:

a) A custom gauge. You create 100 separate images. The the 'range' of the gauge is specifed (say 100-200'F). Then the appropriate image (e.g. image number 40 for 80'F in this case) is displayed if that is the current temperature. This obviously means you have to create a lot of images (!), but I think that regular 'animation' or even 3d rendering software would come in useful (effectively you are just creating a 100-frame movie). The big disadvantage of this 'custom' guaage is that it can only be used for one parameter on an individual gauge.

b) Custom wallpaper. This is going to be a background image - doesn't have any animation. The 'standard' gauges are shown over the top of it. This is a lot easier (only one image per gauge style needed), and you can show all 4 of the 'standard' guages over it. The downside (IMO) is that their standard 'analog' gauges look a little hokey.

-Steve

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If you are thinking about keeping your nav. unit now, it might be worth reconsidering the HKS CAMP2 video gauges on the nav screen.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM

I've got the PLX Kiwi Wifi on order, Ill let you know she performs

Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have designed an add-on wiring harness that will facilitate the nav. to gauge cluster swap.

I am ordering parts now to build a few of these. PM me (or whitexkr@comcast.net) if you want one.

You off course still need to supply a cluster and the wood panel. The gauge pod fits in the same mounting holes as the nav. screen.

Just tested out a prototype:

Name:  guageconversion-11.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  117.4 KB

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-30-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, excellent work!!! I'm interested. PM sent

Quick Reply: Swapping Sat Nav for Gauges