XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAC/STAB fault fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default TRAC/STAB fault fixed

Hey guys wanted to give an update on my ABS module problem. Tried the do it yourself fix and ran into a problem.

Seperated the cover and found the bad solder joints. Fixed the solder joints, replaced the cover and put back it the car. Started it up and all of a sudden had a bunch more errors. Check engine, ABS, Brake, and display read INCCORECT PART FITTED. Also when I drove home found that I didn't have a speedometer.

While seperating the cover I inadvertently messed up the intel processor CAN chip (oops). Not all modules look the same as the ABS fix posted here. I was able to procure a Bosh replacement processor from Future Electronics for $5.50 part CC770. Intel stopped production of thier chip in 2007 and the Bosch is a suitable replacement. My problem was some of the paths on the board got damaged and it's a mutli-layer board which are pretty impossible to repair unless you have a schematic of the PC board.

Quick note: on the 97's the speedometer uses the wheel speed sensors for the speedometer. Also my unit has the CAN processor chip in the ABS unit which I didn't notice in the DIY fix it. I have attached a picture of my units internals.

Did a search for jaguar junkyards online and posted a request for the module. Started to get phone calls right away and a guy named Kevin from Used Part Nation was able to help. Had a unit in FL and charged me $365.00 delivered. Only thing was I had to get the whole assembly for that price, pump and control. That's only $5,150.00 if I bought them new.

Told me the unit tested good and gave me a 6mo. warranty. He said he gets them every few months and if he couldn't replace it he would return my money. Got the unit Wednesday and put it in. Inluded in the packaging was also the VIN of the car that donated it, thought that was a nice touch. Started the car and all the errors were gone except for the original trac/stab fault, also got my speedometer back, yes! (see quick note above)

Anyways, had to replace my alternator too as it went Tuesday so I got a rebuilt Desno from autoparts wharehouse for $220.00, went with the fully replated and and precision model. Got home Wednesday and replaced the alternator (not fun but was able to do it without removing the fan assembly). Took it for a test drive and what do ya know, no more errors. Not sure if the alternator caused the TRAC/STAB fault to stay or the unit just had to reset itself, don't care, it's fixed.

Another note for you guys is the car WILL RUN without the ABS installed. You'll just get a bunch of errors with the amber light on and Incorrect part Installed on the display. Also no speedometer on the 97's for sure, don't know if they changed that on later models as the DIY fix doesn't look like it has the extra processors on it.

Hope this helps a few of you.

Attached Thumbnails TRAC/STAB fault fixed-abs-1.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 08-06-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: big pic from thumb
Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info!

Can you say how the processor got messed up so I don't do the same thing?

Cut too deep?
Dog ate it?
Spilled beer on it?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Yep, cut to deep.

If you look at the pick you'll see the chip in in between the two posts. Well I couldn't seperate the cover without cutting the posts and in the DIY it looked like he had cut his. But in his picture there wasn't anything around the posts. So suprise and major woops, wiped out the legs on that side of the chip. Looking back on it I'm not sure you have to cut the posts but I wasn't paying that much attention, just following directions. There are retaing clips on the top of the cover so if you remove those you can probably just lift/pry the cover off. Hate to admit it but stupidity and impatience got the better of me.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Good job on the ABS fix Dan (not you TX Dan, the Dpez-Dan)

I'll add the link to your thread right after the other DIY link in the FAQ thread, so early model owners can be aware of the differences. I think 1997-1998 were similar to yours. (from memory of my reading about the origins of the XK8s)