XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Change / Fill from top / squeal bark sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally decided to try the transmission additive on my 03 XKR with 35k miles to address the "whoop" sound on aggressive upshifts. I let the dealer deal with the messy process. The whoop was gone almost instantly and remains gone after 200 miles of driving. The additive is now showing as Jaguar part number JLM21906. Dealer pricing was $176 for the additive and $158 labor. A bit expensive but no cussing or nasty after smell and I do not miss the sound!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

You could have performed an ATF drain-and-fill for less than that....

Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its personal preference but the full flush and fill would have offset some of the fluid savings with added labor cost so that the savings was less than $100. This approach got me in and out in less than 2 hours with minimal disturbance to an otherwise great running transmission.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
A lot has been written and speculated about that here. Some of XK have the squeal sound when upshifting under full load.
I had that sound. So I thought instead of filling in additive I just change the trans fluid. Well, easier said then done. I drained the fluid. Got most of it out as I ended up with about 8 quarts of old fluid.
But trying to refill the trans fully through the hard to get to fill plug is an ordeal. I even ask the tech and my Jag dealership if there is a trick. He responded "most of us are ending up wearing the wearing trans fluid and the shop smells for 2 days.
So, I picked up on somebody's idea to fill through trans cooler hose. Guess what? That is SOOO MUCH EASIER.
Just disconnect hose on top of trans fuild cooler (left side of radiator top). Get one of those hose attachment thingies for oil bootles, a funnel or whaever works. I slid a clear tube right over the attachment nipple of the hose and filled the oil in. Obviously it runs downward. Of course make sure you check either make sure you fill in same qty you drained and check level as per procedure specd at bottom fill plug.
I didn't spill a drip of trans fluid AND the trans is now shifting like well, as perfect as can be. And the squeak noise is gone, too.
So, don't even try to get a hose into the bottom fill hole. It keeps sliding out, spilling and so on. Can't get to it easy anyways. Fill through cooler hose. The fluid ends up in the same place.
Glad I remembered this post of yours! I was getting the whining in low gears and didn't fell like going thru the drama of traffic, appointment, hoist, having it checked, etc....... Sooooooooooooooooo I pulled the line as directed and added 1/3 quart of fluid with a large syringe. BINGO noise gone.

thanks!!!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Just Ordered Additive

Originally Posted by mattcat55
I put this ZF additive in my 05 XKR, due to barking only from 3 to 4th shift. Additive was hard to get as my local dealer said Jag doesn't make it anymore, although my independent Jag mechanic was able to find it for about $55...Happy to say it worked instantly. Jag label on bottle with German lettering, as I gather the stuff is made in deutcheland.
I just called my local Jag dealer, the parts guy had never heard of the additive however I gave him the part number and there it was. $71.00 a litre, (Canada). He is going to find out if he can order just one, or he has to buy a case. I am getting the bark in my 2004 and perhaps this will make me rest easier until I put her away for the winter and do the whole filter change.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Just go ahead and do the fresh ATF drain-and-fill and don't mess with the additive. To use the additive, you must still follow the same procedure (cracking the fill plug, draining some fluid, pumping in the additive with the engine running and the pan at the correct temperature, etc.). If you're going to go to all that trouble for the additive, you'll be better off to do the normal ATF drain-and-fill procedure instead....

Old 03-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to bring this old thread back to life but it seems like it might be a much more convenient method of flushing the transmission fluid rather than fill and drain from the pan multiple times.

Does anyone know or know where I can find the thread size for the connection shown in the previous pic? I pint to find some sort of hose connector that can be screwed into the cooler and return hose.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I managed to find this info.

If anyone is interested it is a M20 x 1.5 thread. I have sourced a bush to bring this down to 1/4" so should be able to plumb a hose in easy and just flush the whole system through.

I will let you all know how it goes in a week or so once i get round to putting the whole setup together.

Owen

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (03-06-2020)