Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Steve11
That's a double edged sword though. The XJS, with little volume sales could make it rarer someday, than an XK8 with higher volumes thus harder to find and more sought after.
Actually they made 25,000 (115,000) more XJS's than XK8's and R's (90,000), but over a twenty one year period. making fewer per year. They manufactured XK8's and R's over a ten years period. They will be classics, with the new technology plastic and electronic parts shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur2012
Jag like so many other manufacturers go thru phases where they can't seem to do anything right. Jag hit it with eh early XK's then right out the park with the E. Then they lost their way with the XJS which looked and felt like a boulevard pimpmobile. The XK8/XKR are one of the best styled Jags ever built along with earlier XJ's. Now with the XF and XJ looking like Lexus or Ford they lost their way again and newer XK looks again like it should come with a wide brime hat and feather. Here is the deal. Don't violate your heritage. Jags are cars with low profiles, a cat like stance, wood dashes, instruments and leather interiors. You want to change demographis fine, but don't expect someone who loves classic cars to buy one.
There is only a little bit of leather used in the jags. Only the part you are sitting kn. the sides and rear of the seats is all plastic.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Even Edsels are considered a collectable classic by some people, and look at the money a VW bug brings.
RJ__________________
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

As a used car dealer, and jaguar lover, I find this discussion interesting.

I think there are certain things that point towards future classic status, and others that dont.

These cars as well as XJS's are niche market cars. They were from the day they rolled off the floor, essentially two seat grand touring luxury convertibles. The only people who say either of these cars has a back seat is someone who hasn't sat in one, or if they did a midget, sorry err... Vertically challenged person was driving.

Production numbers don't matter all that much. Especially years later.... In some cases they actually help the situation. Case in point 1957 chevys, 1964 impalas etc. These were built by the pound, BUT... were nothing special in their day. Just a people mover, as such they were neglected, wrecked, allowed to rust, and well junked.....

Early mustangs are another example of this. They sold a million, yes a million mustangs in the first year and a half.

People chase these cars because they were iconic cars of their day. Everyone of a certain age knows someone who had an early mustang...
And people younger than that grew up thinking it was cool, because their parents etc lamented over the one they used to have.

Now here's my honest opinion, just looking at the XJS market at the moment. The cars that aren't basket cases are already commanding a premium and starting to climb... Will they be as rare as Ferarri's and inspire nut to bolt restorations? I don't really think so. Moreso a freshening up. A LOT of people blew a LOT of money in the muscle car market in the mid 2000's. People were paying astronomical prices for them, and it envigorated the restorers, spurring some really fantastic restorations, where people spent 6 figures making a car perfect, and sadly it's probably not even worth the $$ they spent restoring it right now.

These cars are too new, both the XJS, and especially the XK8 to really be considered classics. The XJS has become a car of particular interest if you will, and I don't see values dropping on clean ones. I also don't see them heading into the 6 figures, but you never know what the guy who had one 50 years ago would be willing to pay for one....

I think they have classic potential. But it depends on how many are left around...

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
H20boy (04-22-2021)
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm not sure if they will be collectible or not. Yes, they are beautiful, but they aren't particularly fresh or a defining car for Jaguar, and still hadn't shaken off that "touring car" image of the XJS.

I think the 2007+ XK has a much better shot at becoming collectible. It's what the E-Type was in the 60s. Bold, innovative, fresh. A car that truly defines the new age of Jaguar.

That being said, if you think the 1997-2006 XK8/R is going to be a future classic, now is the time to buy! I think they have certainly bottomed out in price (at least the earlier ones). Even XJSs are quite expensive for good examples.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just the fact that this forum exists would suggest that these cars are special. As far as a smart investment, who knows?
My other passions, (antique Piper J3 Cub aircraft and Donzi speed boats) both undisputable "classics", enjoy cult like followings that surpass any car I can think of but no one will get rich investing in either.
My XK8 will be with me for a long time, probably forever. I think it is beautiful. I am certain that any car I would rather have, I will be unable to afford.
Will the XK8 ever bring big bucks? I kind of doubt it. I do however think it will always be a desirable and celebrated car for sure.
2x

Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
I am certain that any car I would rather have, I will be unable to afford.
Probably because your other two hobbies are boats and airplanes!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I had a 1957 MGA in high school I sold for less than $500. A 1965 Mustang 289 with pony interior that sold for less than $700. A 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV that sold for $1500 and a 1969 E-Type OTS that I let go for $7500. I bought the Jag instead of a Ferrari 250 because the Ferrari was an extra $1k.

Moral to the story? You guys just wait until I sell my XK8 and the value should zoom way up! It will be a pure collector's item then with its picture in all the magazines.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Probably because your other two hobbies are boats and airplanes!

You have a point there!
2x

Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an interesting data point. A birthday gift I received this year: "Sports Cars: High Performance Machines" by Craig Cheetham. Copyright 2003. Among all the pages of Ferraris and other Italian supercars were two Jags, the XKE and the XK8.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
I had a 1957 MGA in high school I sold for less than $500. A 1965 Mustang 289 with pony interior that sold for less than $700. A 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV that sold for $1500 and a 1969 E-Type OTS that I let go for $7500. I bought the Jag instead of a Ferrari 250 because the Ferrari was an extra $1k.

Moral to the story? You guys just wait until I sell my XK8 and the value should zoom way up! It will be a pure collector's item then with its picture in all the magazines.
You my friend have Exqusite taste in cars... Albeit seemingly poor timing.

To the other poster... Regarding the sports car book with the ferarri's xke's and stuff that includes the xk8...

Personally I don't find the xk8 to be anything spectacular performance wise, at least in naturally aspirated form. Especially in comparison to the other cars you mention. Don't forget an Xke had a power / weight ratio almost identical to a 996 911 turbo.

But it was never intended to be. It's a grand tourer.. Ala Mercedes SL. Comfortable top down relaxed long distance motoring in style. Something the other cars aren't intended for...

Take care,

George

Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

IMO, the XJS will never be a true classic, because it's just too ugly. I remember loathing it as an 11-year-old when it was launched in 1975. Our neighbour bought one and was really proud of it, but I just couldn't bring myself to admire it.

The XK8/R is in a different league and that's why I bought one

Excalibur2012 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I guess you've never owned a Toyota. If you're out of warranty, you'll be paying the same if not more for the Toyota.

Out of almost all of my friends with new cars, my XKR isn't any more expensive to maintain than any other new car from it's model year, in fact, it's been cheaper than a few...
I saw on NBR last night .. the Average cost for new cars sold last month here in the US was now over $30,000 .. that leaves a lot of headroom for maintenance on an XK8 that cost 15 grand .. $85,000 new. Sealed tranny .. plug change at 100,000 miles. I spread the gospel .. you can get one for the price of a second hand Honda. Rumor has it, that someone has a blue one floating around "town" .. haven't spotted it yet .. that makes 3, including the one '03 XKR that is garaged.

But back on topic .. as to classics ... I was leaving the Wallyworld parking lot a couple months ago down in Ukiah .. glanced into my rear view mirror, and 'bout 888t a brick .. lo and behold .. there was a pristine .. incredibly beautiful Red "Inspector Lewis" (BBC-PBS) Jaguar right behind me .. you guys would know what model that is. That's gotta be another candidate for classic, along with the venerable XKE and our XK8/R's.

The new XKR-S's are of course awesome .. if the $132,875 pricetag doesn't put you off, the carbon fiber dash probably will. When I'm 80 and someone asks .. "Got Wood?" .. yep

Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Default XJS & 2007 Up XK vs XK8 & R

Fascinating comments all and baffling in some ways. To think that the new breed of 2007 up Jaguars will at some point be classics is a mystery. Only time will tell if the new direction in styling will live on, but I can't help remember what happens everytime they violate their heritage. You may think that the XJS was beautiful, but no one would say the 97 XK wasn't better. To say that the 2007 XK harkens back to the days of the XKE would put you on the company marketing team. Yep, Jag lovers are just waiting for another chromed up carbon fibered dash and pimpmobile interior. Yep sure reminds me of the heady days. Along with 40 other cars, I have owned and worked on, 5 Mercedes, 4 Audi's, 2 Porsches, 3 early Mustangs and a Delorean. None of them have ever garnered the interest my 2000 XKR does in any venue. It is just plain beautiful. That in the end will make it a classic. I wish I could afford an XKE, but I got the next best thing with modern running gear. I also predict the new styling direction of the company will put it in a commodity class like any Lexus or Mercedes.. In the end it will have lost all personality. Thanks for your comments.

Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lovin the rag tops

After 25 years of SUV's my daily driver, at least in the summer, is topless. That was no.1, no. 2 was the E type as my car of dreams as a 13 yr. old.

Will my 2005 be a classic, probably not, as we face the die off of electronics related issues, and really not a sports car. But, as a boulevard cruiser, it can't be beat. I'm loving it.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Default Xjs is in

I have to disagree with what constitutes a classic. The XJS is the most unique of all of the post E type models. It is currently listed by Hemmings and other sites as a car to buy. It was panned at the start of it's tenure but grew in favor. It sold more than any previous GTI Jags. I do dig the XK8 but feel it's lines are more Camaro than pure Jag. The fastest automatic production line car of it's time has gone up in value for a reason.
it has started drawing respectable tags for Southern ragtops and it is currently a Floridian classic. It is already a modern classic and will fare well as time goes on. the Xk8 is beautiful but too young for a collector. Just a thought.

Cheers

Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

In finance we call that "talking your book" Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 3202
Size:  234 Bytes

Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Kurt,
I, respectfully, but absolutely, categorically disagree with your assessment.of the XJS vs. XK8/XKR. The suggestion that XJS's are on a list of cars to buy for the future may be due to the fact that they're virtually free now, so there is nowhere to go but up. While I don't think they're as ugly as I once did, they will never, ever have the appeal of the XK8/R series 1. The XJS was a big letdown as the XKE successor, not nearly as attractive, did not perform as well even in V-12 guise. When the 1996 XK8 was unveiled, it was universally well received and had many of the heritage styling cues of the E-type. It's performance was well beyond that of the XJS and when the XKR was introduced it was one of the premier performance GTs of it's day.

I'm not talking about how much either car is going to be worth someday, plenty of horribly ugly cars have become collector items for some reason or another, I'm talking about which car will be or already is viewed as a "classic" design. There simply is no question that the XK8/R already fits that definition.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:09 AM
Default I see your point

tberg,

I do see your point and respect your opinion. I do offer the fact that the XJS was and is a solid performer. It crushed the competition in Le Mans is 1983 & 1984 in addition to winning the Cannonball run in 1978. Other races won by the XJS, such as the 24-hour race at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium, helped re-establish Jaguar as a racing contender. Regardless of your preference for the sleek XK8, the XJS was a winner on the circuit and commanded respect on the track. I currently own a 1997 XJ-6, 2005 XJ8L, 2004 S Type and think (kidding myself) that all are elegant cars worthy of their heritage. Yet, my XJS gets all of the nods and the questions. Yeah, I agree with you..it is different. I may (with a cash insertion) someday be on the lookout for an XK8, I do not think it will diminish my enthusiasm for the XJS. * check out sold prices on Ebay for ragtop XJS'. You are correct, they could only go up... and they did.

Best regards, Cheers and I am sure I would dig your fleet.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts
Thumbs down

Jaguar has and continues to make some of the worlds most beautiful and classically styled cars. The F series is evidence to that. But everyone turns out a dud and with all do respect........seriously!!!!!!!! The XJS is an ugly boxed tank with about as much styling as a hippo in a bikini.................to each their own I guess

Attached Thumbnails Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic-1985_xjs_twr.jpg   Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic-hippo.jpg  

Last edited by Rezzz; 09-24-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Kurt Doelle (09-24-2014)

Quick Reply: Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic