XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Deflector

Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wind Deflector

I installed one of the popular wind deflectors this summer, and the results have not been as good as hoped. The top of my deflector is below the top of the headrests. There's no height adjustment on the brackets. Has anyone made their own changes to the mounts to get better results?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

What brand did you install? The one I installed was too tall for my taste, so I moved the left bracket to the right and vice-versa, which meant each bracket had to be installed upside down. That lowered the top of the deflector by about 2-3 inches. I think it looks much better like that. Before, it was actually sticking up into the wind. The wind coming over the windshield would hit the top of it and get deflected down into the car.

Look at this pic. The passenger side headrest is all the way up, and the driver's side is all the way down. This is with the brackets reversed so the deflector sits lower. I think I installed the Welsh deflector. Or maybe it's Adamesh. I forget. It came from the UK. If you installed the same one, maybe you accidentally got the brackets reversed.

Name:  Cap-Reef1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  123.6 KB

Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the pics. I have the Welsh deflector. I don't think my brackets were desgnated as a right and a left one. They look identical. I have the brackets installed so that they run down from the main attachment brackets that are permanently installed. I had to reverse one to obtain the proper width for the deflector. Mine does not look much different than your pictures. The instructions from Welsh were not the greatest.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Default Wind Deflector

Sam,
I looked at my Welsh install instructions, and they appear to be for a righthand drive car, so the deflector is probably the same one that Adamesh sells. The brackets in the picture appear to be mounted in the upward position because the thumb screws in the picture are below the deflector. I think I reversed them the same way you did because it would be about three inches higher (too high) if I followed the Welsh example. I need to devise a compromise.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a picture of my bracket. The thing circled in red is the part I reversed. It is bolted to the actual deflector, not the brackets that bolt to the car. The brackets that bolt to the car have to angle downward. The deflector has two mesh pieces. As you can see in the pic below, my lower mesh piece is very low. It's supposed to be even with the top of the seat back. Because I reversed the brackets, the lower mesh piece doesn't sit horizontally like it's supposed to. Also, the bar across the top slightly blocks my view in the rear view mirror. To me that's preferable to having the deflector stick way up and detract from the beauty of the car.

Attached Thumbnails Wind Deflector-img_0070.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I think you need to look at it again because I do not think the height of the deflector may not be the problem. The air is deflected off the windshield and depend on the speed of the car a vortex is created causing a suction bringing the air in from the sides and behind. Bringing the side windows up will help but the rear quarter windows up should prove to be of better benefit along with the deflector. I hope that makes sense.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks guys. My install looks just like Reverand Sams. I'm not ready to tackle the quarter window mod yet. I looked at the DIY, but I'll stick with keeping the door windows up on the freeway for now and wear a hat.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

speaking of wind deflectors , I have had 2 of the same pictured in this thread. Has anyone had a problem with getting small holes in the screen part of deflector? I have had to buy two of these because of unsightly tiny holes. Almost looks the a cigarette ash hit the screen and melted the nylon(?) Mesh. But I know this is not possible as I or anyone in my car have never smoked (anything), I guess it must be rocks or something. These are not cheap item so my second one is my last one and it has two small holes in it. VERY DISCOURAGING and embarrassing! One more hole and it goes. Anyone have this problem or heard of it? Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

That's weird! Mine has been pretty tough. I bought it about 27,000 miles ago and it has no holes in it. I even take it off every once in a while and scrub it with a scrub brush and garden hose.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Mine has been in the car for a long time I would say well over 30k mi and no holes but neither of us smoke. I do need to sweep it clean from dust. Jaguar wind deflector xk

Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came with the factory deflector. I've used it a few times and I do not like the way it makes the car look. Anyone need a factory deflector? Let me know.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

How does the factor deflector attach?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Just installed one of the deflectors sold by Welsh. Installation was not bad but their instructions are almost a hindrance.

An observation: there is no way that the normal position for this deflector ends up vertical. Rather it will naturally want to slope back a bid until stopped by the horizontal piece bearing against the seat back. If I do want to try and force it to be vertical I would have to really tighten up the bolts that hold the larger piece to the bracket and that would prevent the deflector from rotating down when not in use.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Wind Deflector-deflector.jpg   Wind Deflector-bracket1.jpg   Wind Deflector-bracket2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It seems that my deflector is mounted lower than yours.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

97XKE;

Hey Guy do you still have that deflector you were offering?

I think I have the original mounts for an OEM deflector and would really like to get one for the wife.

Here are some photos of my mounts, please check them out and let me know if they are the same type that you have.

I understand that there are some connecting bolts that attach the deflector to these mounts, I would need these as well.

Let me know how much you would like for it.

Or you can PM me.

thanks and cheers,

jj

Old 02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I made a lexan deflector for mine last fall. It works great, stays in place with the roof up. All but invisible, maybe I should put some a/r coating on it. Extends fall top-down weather to around 58-60 degrees.

I just need to transfer all the pics and do the write ups for all of my little projects. Some day....

Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
It seems that my deflector is mounted lower than yours.

Hey Gus--I think you have a different brand than I do. Your bracket is clearly different than mine.

Doug

Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

OK I need to ask if anyone of you can post a link to either or both of these companies websites. Also Bev I would love to see your home made version.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I got my wind deflector from e-bay many years ago.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

It seems like each of the aftermarket deflectors mostly vary in the way the brackets are designed--no two are quite the same.

Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind Deflector