XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 dashboard lights turn off when turn on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: XK8 dashboard lights turn off when turn on headlights

First thing to do is take key out of the ignition and disconnect battery for at least 5 minutes. This allows all modules to power down. Reconnect battery negative cable (you need a 10mm wrench btw), and imperative - reprogramme windows. One at a time, doors closed, 1 touch window down. Hold switch in up position until closed, count 1 elephant, 2 elephants, 3 elephants and let go of switch, immediately hold back to up position for same count. XK you will know if windows not programmed correctly as when you pull the door handle, the window will drop further each time not returning up on its own.

If after this your lighting still does not work, I would suspect faulty turn signal switch or dimmer control module. Let me know if reset of elctrical does not work and I will try to assist you diagnose further.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: XK8 dashboard lights turn off when turn on headlights

Another thing to try is move the steering column all the way up and in while the lights are on. See if this changes anything. If it does then I would say definitly the turn signal switch.

I assume your car does not have nav. So where the oil pressure gauge ecetera is called minor gauge pack, does that do same as Major Instrument panel (Speedometer, Tach etc)?? These two packs are controlled by same circuit, whereas radio and climate are on seperate circuit. Also check Fuse # 18 in passenger side dashboard fuse box. Its a 10amp. Pull it out to look at it.

If both the upper packs are acting the same, I would say that your dimmer control module is bad. Can you override it with the dimmer switch on left side of steering column?

All this is assuming you are in the North America btw.

If you are technical minded, The dimmer module is in right side of dash. Check outputs on FC23-1 and FC23-2.FC23 is 12 way black connector on dimmer module. Wires are both Red with Orange stripe. Both should have 12 volts with lights switched on.

Good luck. Thats about all I can do without being there to do it for you.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, the person with the question never posted their fix. Not sure why people do this. Why would you say you are going to do something then not. Maybe they never figured it out.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Problems

[QUOTE=xj8xj8;154132]As usual, the person with the question never posted their fix. Not sure why people do this. Why would you say you are going to do something then not. Maybe they never figured it out.
[
Have you ever notice how people join the forum because they have a problem, they get what they want and we never hear from them again.Make me feel dirty and used!!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
Have you ever notice how people join the forum because they have a problem, they get what they want and we never hear from them again.Make me feel dirty and used!!
This happens alot I am afraid, and it's unfortunate, because though I can handle the nightly showers, the certified techs get the worst of it. I really feel for them. No wonder its so difficult to keep them active and happy.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 AM

I ended up figuring this one out on my own. Broken wire in turn signal switch and a resulting blown fuse is the cause to this problem. Replace turn signal switch and fuse will cure the problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Default dimmer control module

Originally Posted by FactoryJaguarTech
Another thing to try is move the steering column all the way up and in while the lights are on. See if this changes anything. If it does then I would say definitly the turn signal switch.

I assume your car does not have nav. So where the oil pressure gauge ecetera is called minor gauge pack, does that do same as Major Instrument panel (Speedometer, Tach etc)?? These two packs are controlled by same circuit, whereas radio and climate are on seperate circuit. Also check Fuse # 18 in passenger side dashboard fuse box. Its a 10amp. Pull it out to look at it.

If both the upper packs are acting the same, I would say that your dimmer control module is bad. Can you override it with the dimmer switch on left side of steering column?

All this is assuming you are in the North America btw.

If you are technical minded, The dimmer module is in right side of dash. Check outputs on FC23-1 and FC23-2.FC23 is 12 way black connector on dimmer module. Wires are both Red with Orange stripe. Both should have 12 volts with lights switched on.

Good luck. Thats about all I can do without being there to do it for you.

How do you get the old dimmer control module out?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 AM

Either you can pull the entire dash…….. Or……. What I did was removed the drivers side floor heat duct then reached up in the dash, unclipped the wiring harness, then the module just pushes off the bracket. Can't remember which way you push it though. It's on the drivers side of the dash kind of in between the radio and instrument cluster. Black plastic box. But if you having the headlight problem it's not the module. It's the turn signal switch and also make sure the fuse in the drivers side rear seat fuse box get's replaced.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM

my dimmer control module is on the passenger side next to the fuses. Do I have to pull out the glove box or the dash? The new one has three locking clips in the back so I assume the old one attaches the same way. Why aren't replacements more user-friendly?