XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Re-commissioning - ECM Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XK8 Re-commissioning - ECM Question

I am in the middle of re-commissioning my 2000 XK8.

Disclaimer – I know enough mechanical wise to be dangerous, and I have searched the forums

VERY Long Story short – a couple of years ago – I had the ABS/TRAC Light come on, the CEL came on and the Front Drivers seat fail in a very short period, (front mounting points broken) and was quoted several thousand dollars to fix – which at the time due to personal circs was more than I could afford, so I decided to store it until circumstances got better – which is now.

So thanks to the forum – and one $55 repair job of the module – the ABS/TRAC Light is fixed.

At the moment I have a lead on a replacement seat – fingers crossed it is good, or at the very least I can Franken-seat the two together – but that’s for another post.

Which leads me to the Check-Engine Light – getting a P1647 –a faulty O2 Left side – I replaced the sensor – the car has 110K, so it was time anyway , no difference – switched “Sides” on the connector reset the ODB – same thing - P1647.

From reading the forum – this is either ECM or Wiring – so to my questions.
- Anyone know which PINS to check on the ECM Connector and what readings I should be looking at?

- If it is the ECM (Which I suspect) – well I managed to track down one which Matches mine – LNF1410BB – MC079700-8811 for relatively very little money – . Searching the forms seems to give mixed answers on what is needed to swap things out – some suggestions of Plug & Play (with a Hard Reset) some suggestions that it needs programming by someone with the appropriate dealer tool – at the very least to sync immobilization – can someone clarify for me please? If it does need programming I have a further question, but one at a time for now.

Thanks !

David.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The ECM data is in the Electrical Guide so you can probe the harness with the sensor and the ECM disconnected. Check for continuity.
You can also use an OBDII scanner with datalogging to watch the sensors.
It will probably show no response from B2S1.

If you need an immobilization setup after installing a VCATS matching ECM I can do that for you. I have WDS with Jaguar software. I am about 20 or 25 miles from you.

The VCATS label in the boot must match the replacement ECM
The last 3 digits are important.
Sometimes it is just plug and play.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
JimC64 (08-07-2012), txbrit (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks Bob!!

This is exactly what I needed, I will PM you if I need to visit, which I may have to anyway - even if the ECM Plugs and Plays - yes it is an exact match, read up and re-read on the forums the importance of that before I ordered the unit.

I need an excuse to come to Decatur anyway - want to try Sweetie Pies Ribeyes - the Steak offshoot of Babe's Chicken!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

O2 sensors on these can sometimes require reflashing the ECU, to make sure the ECU uses teh data in the right channels, especially if installed in the wrong connector (you mentioned switching sides). The x300's were famous for this. Before I replaced the ECU, I suggest getting it on the Computer and looking at its software setup and be sure it recognizes the location.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

XK8 Re-commissioning - ECM Question-untitled.jpg

David

I had a similar problem on my 03 XKR with a knock sensor error code. I had both knock sensors replaced but they were both good. It turned out to be a bad splice in the harness going to the ECM. You might want to check this out first on your HO2 sensors, before you do anything else as it is very easy to check. According to the wiring diagram (see attached) you have two up stream 1/1 and 2/1 and two down stream 1/2 2/2 HO2 sensors. The down streams have a splice at EMS8 in the harness where the two returns are spliced, wires are from pin 3 on the sensors. The returns are floating grounds, not chassis grounds and are then sent to the ECM pin (EM80-130). The tech that worked on my car ran a jumper wire between the floating grounds for my knock sensors, that went to their splice, which fixed my problem. If the problem is in the upstream sensors then this would not apply as they do not have a common splice, just a shield splice. Hope this helps.

Bill N
03 XKR

Last edited by wcnesta; 08-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM

The Above is what I deserve, talk about RTFM....

I should have looked at the "How To" Sticky post as well as doing searching, did not realize what a Treasure trove it was - found the electrical guide - so next step is to pull and measure at the appropriate pins

oldmots - Thanks, I just switched connectors to see if it would throw a P1646 - I know the other O2 is good - but I will bear it in mind, I am now a little happier b/c I was concerned about finding someone to program an ECU.

wcnesta - thanks but it is the upstream

I will update as and when - I hate it when people post problems - but never the solution!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Default Update - Plug and Almost Play

So I tested all the circuits all seemed to test OK - so under the Sherlock Holmes theory - it just leaves to ECM.

ECM a 5 min swap.... Hard Reset - battery fully off - old one unplugged - new one in - plugged up - battery reconnected - come to start it and it.....

Turns over!!!!!! But did not start (Sad Trombone)

So it looks like the immobilizer needs reprogramming -

Motorcarman you have Private Message.

More News as I get it -

In other news I got a replacement Drivers seat - matching material! for $100 - sadly because of the Gorilla's that removed it, I am having to do some some Frankenseating - but again - that's for another post when done.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

txbrit

Glad the ECM immobilization setup worked and I was REALLY glad you set up my shop wireless network so I can swap files to the desk top and print from the laptop!!!!!

Both upstream O2 sensors are running in 'closed loop' so you can get your readiness set for state inspection.

Thanks again for the visit!!

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
txbrit (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 PM

I was just about to post, and you beat me to it!

Pleasure was all mine, glad to have no more warning lights - just need to run it around (while still avoiding the local PD) to get P1111 and off to the inspection station.

For those following along, the ECM swap fixed my issues, for $50 for a replacement ECM off ebay, MUCH less than I was quoted when the Check Engine light first came on!

THANK YOU again to Bob - the Jaguar Forum Genius! and anytime I can assist with Computer related stuff, feel free to hit me up.

Now I have to finish my Seat write up...

David.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Sounds like a happy resolution for *both* parties