XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 XK8 Roof latch actuator problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 XK8 Roof latch actuator problem

SO I spent a few hours yesterday stripping my XK8 to replace the hoses as I was getting a small amount of fluid under the mesh in the roof console. When I got the roof plate down I realized that the hoses are not at fault. The piston on the roof latch actuator is where the problem lies. As the roof opens and the piston comes out of the block it carries fluid into the console, so I am guessing the seal is no good. I read on here that the dealer will replace the whole plate and not just the actuator. I have two questions:
1. Is this part repairable or can it be replaced, or do I need to have the whole plate replaced?
2. Now that I have the car stripped, should I replace the hoses anyway? The existing hoses have a date stamp of mid 2006 whereas the new ones have a date stamp of November 2011.
Many thanks for your help!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

TopHydraulics will repair the latch and, according to their website, with upgraded seals. I used them for a complete set of upgraded hoses and their service was excellent but haven't used them for seals.BTW, I have no connection with TopHydraulics - I picked up on them because Gus shows them on his website.
They show $150 for the top latch repair.
Hope this helps :0)

The following users liked this post:
MalShakes (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Default Many Thanks

Thanks for the response. I will get mine rebuilt in a couple of weeks when I can spare the time without it. I decided to go ahead and replace the hoses any way so that job is done now. Where in Lichfield are you from? My family is from Wolverhampton - don't mention the Wolves

Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MalShakes
Thanks for the response. I will get mine rebuilt in a couple of weeks when I can spare the time without it. I decided to go ahead and replace the hoses any way so that job is done now. Where in Lichfield are you from? My family is from Wolverhampton - don't mention the Wolves
I'm from a small village about 6 miles from Lichfield called Colton but I was born and raised in Bilston which is part of Wolverhampton.My sons, inexplicably, are both season ticket holders for the aforementioned football team.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Default The Wolves

Ha ha. That is funny. I must admit that if I still lived there then I would be in the same unfathomable position! Nice to catch up with you. Let me know if you are ever in the Houston area and we can grab a coffee. I don't get to Florida very often as all my work contacts are in the North East and Canada. I am finishing off putting the car back together again.

batroute (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Top Hydraulics

I had Top Hydraulics rebuild my top latch wth excellent results. They might even have rebuilt units in stock by now. It only took a few days to have the work done. It's probably a good idea to relace your hoses. Consider Coliflower as a source, I was very happy with them.

Install some version of a pressure reduction valve and the remote opening feature from WhiteXK and you'll have a refreshed, durable and convenient top system!

The following 2 users liked this post by Spurlee:
MalShakes (02-25-2013), WhiteXKR (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Default Airbag lamp, center roof console, and pressure relief

I replaced the hoses and will send the actuator piston assembly to TopHydraulics in a week or so when I can afford to be without it for a few days. I have three follow on questions:
1. How does the center console with the lights and garage door opener etc stay up? I can't seem to see how to get it to stay put! It is dark now so I wont get to do this until tomorrow.
2. Since I put everything back together I get the airbag warning light that blinks and then stays solid orange. Any thought on what might have caused this?
3. What is the best pressure relief option, and where can I purchase from?
Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by MalShakes
I replaced the hoses and will send the actuator piston assembly to TopHydraulics in a week or so when I can afford to be without it for a few days. I have three follow on questions:
1. How does the center console with the lights and garage door opener etc stay up? I can't seem to see how to get it to stay put! It is dark now so I wont get to do this until tomorrow.
2. Since I put everything back together I get the airbag warning light that blinks and then stays solid orange. Any thought on what might have caused this?
3. What is the best pressure relief option, and where can I purchase from?
Thanks again for all of your help!
The centre light console is held on by clips that locate on to a plastic attachment that screws on to the header- they break fairly easily, I ended up attaching mine with jumbo velcro attached to the GDO module - worked so far :0). There are a few posts on the forum about this - have a search for other solutions.
Re the airbag light, if it wasn't there before you dismantled then logic suggests a pinched or broken wire- one of the techs on here will probably have a more specific answer.
Prior to purchasing the pressure relief valve have a word with TopHydraulics - they state on their website that with the upgraded hoses and cylinders no relief valve is necessary, but ultimately it's your call

MalShakes (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Keep in mind the hoses fail and the latch seal blow out due to high pressure that the pump puts out. Replacing the hoses with upgraded hoses is a good idea the Jaguar hoses do not meet the pressure requirements. I have both the hoses we developed and Top Hydraulics on my page along with the pressure relief valve from LSI. As for your latch all you need to do is send them your latch and they rebuild it.

MalShakes (02-26-2013)
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 xk8 got green shower am happy to close and open roof manualy
but the quarter windows will not go up

Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Manual top operation

When the quarter windows do not raise, I found that if I wait about 20 seconds, re-push the close button, then the windows close. Also, I found that if I cycle the top lock the windows raise.