XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 XK8 Steering Wheel Controls

Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default '97 XK8 Steering Wheel Controls

It is definitely time to replace the radio in my '97 XK8. Over the course of the summer there have been some stretches where the radio will not respond to any control (on/off, volume, presets, source, etc.) for days at a time. When your favorite morning and afternoon drive time radio shows are on different stations, and each station is intolerable at other times of the day, this is a huge bummer. By the same token, listening to radio via phone app streamed to a clip-on Bluetooth speaker is just not cool enough for this car.

Head unit is no problem. I would like to preserve use of the stereo controls on the steering wheel, and this is a little more complicated. In different threads I have seen mention of using the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter in a 2000 XK8 convertible, a 2002 XKR, and a 1999 XK8 Convertible.

Does anyone have experience using the ASWC-1 on a '97 XK8?
Does anyone know what wiring changes may have occurred between '97 and '99 that would prevent using this adapter in my older car?
Does anyone have experience with a different steering wheel control adapter that worked with a '97 XK8?

I sure appreciate the help and collected wisdom on the site.

Regards,
Tom

Last edited by tlynch; 08-25-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Because I am dumb and think of things after the fact.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tlynch

It is definitely time to replace the radio in my '97 XK8. Over the course of the summer there have been some stretches where the radio will not respond to any control (on/off, volume, presets, source, etc.) for days at a time. When your favorite morning and afternoon drive time radio shows are on different stations, and each station is intolerable at other times of the day, this is a huge bummer. By the same token, listening to radio via phone app streamed to a clip-on Bluetooth speaker is just not cool enough for this car.

Head unit is no problem. I would like to preserve use of the stereo controls on the steering wheel, and this is a little more complicated. In different threads I have seen mention of using the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter in a 2000 XK8 convertible, a 2002 XKR, and a 1999 XK8 Convertible.

Does anyone have experience using the ASWC-1 on a '97 XK8?
Does anyone know what wiring changes may have occurred between '97 and '99 that would prevent using this adapter in my older car?
Does anyone have experience with a different steering wheel control adapter that worked with a '97 XK8?

I sure appreciate the help and collected wisdom on the site.

Regards,
Tom
In case anyone was following this thread, I provided an update on my outcome elsewhere.

In a nutshell, got a radio on Amazon, but turned to an English vendor (Nexxia) to find expertise with my '97 XK8 for almost everything to connect it. Everything works together beautifully.

What Was Installed
Head unit: Pioneer DEH-6700BT
Steering wheel controller: CTSJG001.2
Pioneer patch cable: CTPIONEERLEAD
XJ Fascia adapter: FP-14-00

Good luck!
Tom

Old 10-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

We replaced the radio as well, and also got all of the wiring harnesses and other parts from a UK vendor. The steering wheel controls worked for a time, but stopped suddenly. We're going to try to track down the problem real soon now. AND replace an infuriating buzz in the left dashboard speaker. Ugh.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ooblick
We replaced the radio as well, and also got all of the wiring harnesses and other parts from a UK vendor. The steering wheel controls worked for a time, but stopped suddenly. We're going to try to track down the problem real soon now. AND replace an infuriating buzz in the left dashboard speaker. Ugh.
Good luck. I am hoping that my controls maintain continuity..

Tom