XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 xjr s/c motor into 97 xk8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

A friend of mine had a monster Miata it was a hoot to drive. Agreed on other motors being available but many were mistreated and fixing one of our engines can be a major undertaking given the increasing scarcity of parts.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Doing the LS swap into an xK8

Hi, this is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties and I happened to come across this thread and found it very interesting. While everyone is of course entitled to opinions and conclusions, when information floats out there that very well is not correct, or perhaps could be misleading, I think it's worth correcting.

Regarding the XK8 LS conversion, we offer those individuals who are definitely interested in doing the swap the option to buy our manual early. Customers take advantage of this option occasionally and the manual is usually purchased so the end user can get a head start on the conversion- understand the process, share the info with his installing shop or mechanic, and accumulate the parts. The cost of the manual is credited straight back when they return to buy the kit , so nothing is lost (within a reasonable timeframe). I'm not sure who XK8Don is, but in the several years we have been offering the manual purchase option, not one customer who did it failed to come back and buy the kit. Our objective here is not the same as "Jags-That-Run" ; we are not interested in selling a bunch of cheap books that sit on a shelf- we want to work on a project with a customer. Hence the price where it is- $300- to weed out those who actually want to build a car from those who are just collecting literature....

One last comment, and this is on cost/complexity. For users doing this swap, especially those who are doing it themselves (and have the mechanical experience to do so), we have found the costs are pretty straightforward. From the several cars that were done here, plus input from end user/customers as well, the general summary on cost is pretty basic. The cost of an LS XK8 conversion will be:

Cost of Jaguar Specialties Kit- $1975 (all of the specially designed mechanical bits and the CAN interface)
Cost of LS engine/transmission- Whatever that is for what you choose
Cost of outside parts and services to finish- $1500
(this would include misc soft parts (hoses/fittings/etc.,., ), driveline work, exhaust system mods, LS engine prep- including providing correct oil pan, AC hose fab and charging, etc.,- everything needed to get done
Cost of labor- whatever that is - provided by end user or a shop

That is what it costs. And for those individuals who are professionals or have a lot of automotive experience, they usually come out on the light side of $1500 because they know their way around and how to get things done more reasonably.

As you can see, it's a very reasonably costed undertaking. These are the cost number we quote to customers for a while now and the end users are finding they are pretty close.

Again, I'm not sure who XK8Don is but I'd be very interested to hear exactly what part of the conversion put him off so much that he abandoned the whole endeavor, especially after already having the LS engine and trans in hand. We have very good back and forth with customers, especially when they get into the stage of reading our manual. I am very surprised to hear that a qualified automotive technician found something (or things) specifically difficult or ambiguous in the XK8 conversion process to abandon the project entirely...

Those are my $.02

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

PS- XK8Don, as you requested, I will send you a PM to get a better understanding of what exactly discouraged you about the conversion. That would be good for Jaguar Specialties to know...

Old 09-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts
Default my $00.02 too

XK8Don,
I don't know if you were the chap that spoke with me on the phone a while back. If so, I was hoping for the best for you.
Here is my $00.02. I will be brief.
Four things were important to me as I have little funds to have done something like this.
1/ We wanted to keep this beautiful car after the tranny blew.
2/ Cost, all said and done I spent just under 10 large and spent a little more than projected for a custom exhaust built by a buddy of mine.
3/ Complexity, having done this with two of my buddies over a winter I would not hesitate to tackle another one. (If I only had the loot)
4/ Support, to my great surprise Andrew was always readily available to help us sort out anything we didn't quite understand and it was mostly minor stuff

We are coming up on the end of season three with car and have had zero problems related to the swap. The LS1 had 155,000 km, the Jag had 264,000 km's. We are now at 280,000 km. Normal wear and tear parts related to a car of this age are addressed as they come about.
I am not a mechanic. I am a cable tv service tech.

Feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number if you wish to chat. My number changed last fall so if we spoke before you will need the new number.

BTW, I bought the manual, read it, then bought the kit!

All the best which ever way you decide to go.