XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Thread...

I'll post a few more videos when I get the chance that show the car from the outside as it accelerates toward and away from the viewer. I will certainly have to be careful not to drive off in the wrong silver convertible XKR! Haaaaah! =)

Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Default OS Giken limited slip differential

It's here! It will be a few weeks before I get it installed. I need to take a break on spending money. I sent payment for the new 20" Perseus wheels today. The 9" front and 10" rears will help with the handling and somewhat with the traction.

This 4.2 engine is SMOOOOOOOOOTHE. It runs nicely. WOW!

Attached Thumbnails Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-2146b2a8-c756-440a-89ed-ea9e8e929c40-18771-00000b0d41903616_zps21bb909e.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-8277ec5e-0cde-46f9-8e0d-da872a44d4fe-18771-00000b0d5838731c_zps4886b6dd.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-bace2c6c-c6a8-4295-a821-518566eb76a7-18771-00000b0d53222131_zps4b8788d8.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Christmas again?!

Hi Jeff.

Nice pictures on the LSD. What exhaust system do You use?

I will do AVos stage I upgrade on my XKR98 and intend to start with the original exhaust system and upgrade more or less "backwards" as You did

Have dropped a few emails to Andre Vos about that upgrade.

Question: -Have You experienced any changes in behavior of the car since You fetched it? I guess the programming with new sensor and values takes some driving to settle.

Thanks for sharing.

/Jan

Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the plan for the old 4.0 engine?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Default Reliability and parts

JanM, the reliability of the drive has been great. I use my XKR as a daily driver.

I have the original exhaust except for removal of the rear mufflers. It is a bit louder now with the newer motor and supercharger kit. Of course, that is because there is more VAROOM power and higher volumes of gases coming out under wide open throttle. The sound is amazing.

Johnnie Ryall, I will be putting all of the leftover parts and old engine up for sale soon. If you have an interest, feel free to inquire about particular items.

To all, the ability to pull out into traffic to fill just about any gap is amazing. An AVos twin screw Jaguar can make you feel like Superman, just don't go and wrap it around a tree. That being said, WOW, what a ride!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Hi Jeff,

I believe You. The reliability is surely super. AVos knows what he is doing. The question was meant to address the cars/engines performance. Well, I got the answer for sure by Your wide smile

I sure look forward to perform the upgrade on my car. I have seen Your clips many times....

The rude part.
I, and I think other followers of this threads should appreciate another video clip of a regular drive in daylight. If You want to, of course. ...You have in some way "spoiled us in this thread. Thanks again for that.

/Jan

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff

Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you - it has been an amazing ride. I'm sure you now have a wonderful car - particularly once you install the LSD and new wheels. I recall you mentioning a brake upgrade at some point and I would strongly encourage this - it's good to be able to stop with all that power.

If you find yourself heading west at all give me a shout and we can go play in the mountains. I will also be interested to hear about long term reliability. I know Avos has put 150K miles on his car since the twin screw so it seems it can be done.

All the best and keep the pics / feedback coming

Nick

Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Default Another bad video =)

I don't have the nicer camera set up yet. I might be able to do that today and get a program that allows me to edit the feed. That would make something more fun to view!

The purpose of this short video is just to show you what is going on without having the limited slip differential installed yet. With nobody around, I hit the gas at a stop light (no entering driveways ahead, either). I paid more attention to going straight than pointing the camera in the right spot. Hah!

You can see by the flickering of the yellow light on the dashboard that the traction control was trying to do its job all the way up to 50 mph... on dry pavement. Laying down a decent 0-60 mph time will be possible with the LSD and wider wheels, plus learning to modulate the throttle properly.

'Sorry about the bad video quality, but I'm not trying to win a video production contest. I hope that these type of short videos help to convey what the car is like. =) More L8R.

The following users liked this post:
Anders Hansen (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Default Videos

Jeff. You sir have made the best ever advertising teaser. for increasing the power of the v8, 4.0 and 4.2L jags with the AVos kits!

You have no obligations at all. I thank You for whats done. If You find it good to post another video, I'd love it.

I wish You the best and You, like me have to work hard to keep the drivers licenses even if it is hard.....

Best regards
/Jan

Jeff in Tucson (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Jeff, my wish is to watch a vid of you pulling away from modern muscle such as MB Kompressor V8, Porsche Turbo, Vettes, etc.

Jeff in Tucson (04-09-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, considering you're still driving fairly conservatively; based on this video, you are
going to have some damn fast 0-60 times. I'd be curious to see what a Torque app
has to say about 0-60 as things start breaking in. Very cool.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff is there a big difference in shifting between the old brown tops and your new blue tops?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Default Blue tops update...

The blue tops are not installed yet.

Those are going to be installed in a few weeks when the new differential goes in.

At that same time, I'll have a 2.75" pulley put onto the front of the supercharger to replace the 3.25" unit that is on there now. Yes, the car has more power coming.

After doing some more reading, I decided to turn the water/methanol injection back on. I did that on Sunday morning. The result? The tires just spin faster before shifting into 2nd. It is starting to get hot in Tucson, Arizona, and 105 degree temperatures are only about 6 weeks away.

With the new blue tops, pulley, and LSD installed, the car will also have its new shoes. The 20" Perseus wheels with 9" up front and 10" in the rear will hopefully help to put down some of that power in the form of traction. Haaaaaaah!

I'll need to get an awesome set of brakes after that.

Here's a pic of one of the wheels:

Attached Thumbnails Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-brakes003.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you get the valve stem adapter to air them up

Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Please do NOT put on the 2.75 pulley on, this is an insane increase I haven’t even done yet!!!!

I would also caution for going even to a 3.0 pulley.

Can you please 1st measure your current boost levels? You are already close about 20 psi, which is already serious, though it may be lower pending on the altitude of course.

Going further is risky, you would need to have at least some extra measures, so the water/meth on to minimize knock/detonation.

I have never gone further than the 3.0”pulley (so with the 6.3” 4.2 lower pulley like you have), that already gave me about 22-23 psi.

So the 2.75 pulley (with your 6.3” lower) would let you go into the 25-26 psi, this is not kids play.

Please consult me 1st before you want to go any further than your current setup. Your free to do what you like of course, but you need to understand the risks and measures you could take to mitigate them.

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
Jeff in Tucson (04-10-2013), User 070620 (07-16-2014)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxville
Jeff is there a big difference in shifting between the old brown tops and your new blue tops?
Blue tops are just great if you have enough patience to wait 1-2K that TCU learns smooth downshifts. Just after the tops change my gearbox was awful with harsh downshifts at slow speed. The gearbox got some other mods to be stronger and faster. Now it's as strong, pleasant and fast as MB SLR 722 box

Jeff in Tucson (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Default Thanks for the advice, AVos!

Not a problem, AVos. I will consult with you before I make a change like that. I was confused about the pulley size needs and thought that, perhaps, the KB guys had sent a slightly larger pulley than was supposed to be on there when we called them to get a different one. Thank you, sir!

This Jaguar Forum is excellent! It helps for folks to post their ideas and others to respond. AVos has been helpful and watching this thread closely. He has also given me advice in private via email and is quite supportive of his customers.

Originally Posted by avos
Hi Jeff,

Please do NOT put on the 2.75 pulley on, this is an insane increase I haven’t even done yet!!!!

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 04-10-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Default Car wash

So, we had a huge dust storm the other day, with rain, that mucked up the exterior of the car pretty badly.

I decided to wash it today. I left the hood closed and avoided the hood's heat vents, but got an electrical glitch anyway. That had happened to me once prior to the engine swap and supercharger install. It misses firing on a cylinder under a heavier load. It seems to be getting a little bit better (drying out). It took a day the first time for it to dry out and run properly and this time it's taking a while as well.

The folks at Falconworks confirmed that it is an electrical issue and believe that it will dry out as well. If it is still funky tomorrow afternoon, I'll have the techs open things up and dry it out. Ugh.

I think that the next time I wash the car, I'll wash the entire hood and top of the front fenders by hand with a damp rag or some Windex and paper towels. Haaah!

I had wanted to meet up with Vettegood tomorrow and take him for a ride, but there's no point in him coming down from Phoenix until the misfiring issue is resolved.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you continue to have electrical problems when you wash it you may want to consider rinsing with distilled water. It's a small additional cost but since distilled water doesn't conduct electricity it will help reduce the problem. I say reduce because you are unlikely wash away all the soluble compounds (soap, minerals etc.) so there will still be some conductivity - just much less. This trick also works if you drop your expensive electronics into a nice conductive solution such as the sea or your swimming pool. A friend of mine has an "aquaMac" that proves the point - still going strong 4 years after a dunk in the Carribbean!

$0.02

N

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
So, we had a huge dust storm the other day, with rain, that mucked up the exterior of the car pretty badly.

I decided to wash it today. I left the hood closed and avoided the hood's heat vents, but got an electrical glitch anyway. That had happened to me once prior to the engine swap and supercharger install. It misses firing on a cylinder under a heavier load. It seems to be getting a little bit better (drying out). It took a day the first time for it to dry out and run properly and this time it's taking a while as well.

The folks at Falconworks confirmed that it is an electrical issue and believe that it will dry out as well. If it is still funky tomorrow afternoon, I'll have the techs open things up and dry it out. Ugh.

I think that the next time I wash the car, I'll wash the entire hood and top of the front fenders by hand with a damp rag or some Windex and paper towels. Haaah!

I had wanted to meet up with Vettegood tomorrow and take him for a ride, but there's no point in him coming down from Phoenix until the misfiring issue is resolved.

Jeff in Tucson (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Default Aaaah...

It's good to know what the issue is. 2 of my coil packs are cracked and they were sparking over to the cam covers. New ones to be installed by lunchtime tomorrow, then, wahoo! Back at it.

Quick Reply: Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA