XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any one heard of this??/the saga of the air bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default any one heard of this??/the saga of the air bag

My air bag light is on.I have been to a jaguar repair shop "not the dealer"and they told me it was the gage cluster "200.00 in labor later" [>:]. Calld the dealer for price quote on new cluster. The dealer told me it would be around 2 to 4g's to get a new one [:@]. i got a used one from http://www.britishrecycling.com/ for 250.00 i then sent my unit and the junk yard unit down to http://www.aaellc.com/ and they took the board off the junk yard unit and moved it to my stock one and set the millage on it to match. They also fixed the old one "bad solder joints". now i have 2 cluster units all set up and ready to go [8D]. both with the same millage, both 100% operational and still the light in on [sm=alcoholic.gif]. so now i am going to take the car back to the shop and tell these guys to fix it! [sm=boohoo.gif]

So i was looking at Alldata and found this tid bit of info.
has any one heard of this?

"In certain markets (USA) blink codes are provided at the airbag interrogation socket. These codes can be read using JD 205 Harness and Lamp. This is tool should never be used in preference to the PDU"

Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: any one heard of this??/the saga of the air bag

looks like they took you for a ride.. only dealers know intense things like that.. the bad soldering in the instrument cluster was a old bulletin for lights staying on in the cluster..(parking brake ,oil light, no fuel light)nothing to do with airbags.. has your car had theservice actionT836 activationoccupant sensing system? sometimes the sonar sensors go... and seat belt tensioners.. take it to the dealer..

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Smock....I replied to your concern.

Genius is correct as always with this one.......dealer and get the codes pulled.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is "service actionT836 activationoccupant sensing system" a TSB that they correct under warranty? I have an 02 XK8 Coupe with 57k miles and dropped it off at the dealer yesterday to have them diagnose the blinking air bag light. I'm trying to sell the car, and my snap on scanner won't clear the code. I did a search on SA T836 but couldn't find any info. I have access to Alldata and it was no data on the Air Bag System.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also check the seat wiring to see if it shorting out. My shop replaced the belt buckle with the sensor in it and when this didn't fix it they discovered a frayed wire in the seat. No issues since and no more air bag warning lights.
dugem260

The following users liked this post:
cwoody (02-16-2014)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Im having the same problem on my 00 XKR. About 10 seconds after starting the car the airbag light comes on and off a few times and then it remains on. I had my mechanic run diagnostics and no codes came up. I've also been having the ABS/ ACS light stay on for about the last year. Up until yesterday it was a crap shoot sometimes it came on right when I started the car and other times it would come on after driving a while, sometimes it would not come on for days at a time. I was told that poorly balanced tires could be the problem. I had the tires balanced yesterday and now the light just stays on WTF! . Could all this be blamed on a bad ABS module?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Proper diagnostic equipment is necessary, and your mechanic doesn't have it. You could buy a state of the art IDS system for the price of your body kit, and never get hung out to dry. Nice car, as a suggestion they look alot better with the body side molding removed.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 AM

Thank You. I will photo shop the moldings off and see what it looks like. Where can I buy and IDS system? Does it work for other cars? It wouldn't be a bad idea to own one to keep the fleet in top shape.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM

I like it both ways each gives the car a diferent look. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Maja216; 03-21-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maja,
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but either way that is one sweet looking ride....................good job!
Regards,
Brian

Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the Arden rockers give the car a strong horizontal line: the side moulding is a distraction, and without it your eye is drawn to the rockers. Looks sleeker, not as busy.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Maja,

I agree that it is a smoother look, but my moldings have saved my car from many parking lot dings. I am leaving mine just where they are. I also did the same updating on my car. Clear side repeaters(the car is pre-wired for them) and R badges side and rear. I do like your clear front marker lights! Looks like you may have them on the rear also. Where did you find them?

Last edited by hlgeorge; 03-21-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Thumbs up nice look

actually i like that look.. may have to consider some of the changes for my cat..

update on airbag light,

i have tracked it down to a short in the diagnostic light wiring. its shorted to ground some were. i have just not torn every thing apart yet to try and find the short... kinda dreading doin it..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Maja,

I agree that it is a smoother look, but my moldings have saved my car from many parking lot dings. I am leaving mine just where they are. I also did the same updating on my car. Clear side repeaters(the car is pre-wired for them) and R badges side and rear. I do like your clear front marker lights! Looks like you may have them on the rear also. Where did you find them?
I actually found them on http://ebay.co.uk I purchased 2 pairs but I ended up removing the rear ones altogether (The Arden bumper wasn't pre cut for them) I still have a brand new pair if anyone is interested. I have also seen just the clear lenses sold on eBay they require a little bit of work.

The more I look at the 2 pictures of the car the more I lean toward keeping the moldings they just seem to flow.

Last edited by Maja216; 03-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

on the air bag light, why do you think its a short to ground? If it is, removed the console, disconnect the srs(air bag module) pin the wire to the light for continuity to ground. if theres not, its an internal short in the module. But I cant stress enough that going to a shop or mechanic without the proper equipment youre wasting money, and anything they say is conjecture. Go to a dealer and get the diag and repair done properly. leave the less knowledgable and capable shops to their level of expertise. Even we have contant updates and software coming at us all the time. Jagtech knows too, theres only so much that can be done by anyone without the proper tools.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Maja, I am interested in the spare marker lenses you have.

lewatl@bellsouth.net

Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 PM

The set that I have is the complete light assembly with clear lense. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Cool airbag light

BRUTAL

Srs module pin to console pin = continuity "BEEEEEEP"
srs module pin to ground = continuity "BEEEEEEP"
console pin to ground = continuity "BEEEEEEP"
pre-tensioner module pin to ground = continuity. "BEEEEEEP"
if i unplug all three points on the diagnostic light harness and test any pin to ground = continuity. "BEEEEEEP"

so.. i have a short some were. don't know were, but i will figure it out.

using the autoingenuity scanner. i get only a error code for short to ground on diagnostic light. no other error codes reported from the srs module.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

you could always lay another wire in along the harness

Quick Reply: any one heard of this??/the saga of the air bag