XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any one heard of this??/the saga of the air bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation srs

that had occurred to me. Do you know what gage that wire is?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok back to the airbag light. I took the car into an independant jaguar shop yesterday and we are still in the dark . There are no codes pertaining to the airbag. We did have a brake pump failure code that could be the pump itself or more likely the ABS module (no biggie I found a guy that rebuilds them for $55.00 plus my shop has a working used pump and module if I don't want to wait for the rebuild). I left town last night so I left the car with the guys so they can try to figure out what the deal is. I will keep you all posted.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Maja216
The set that I have is the complete light assembly with clear lense. Send me a PM if you are interested.
I have sent you the money via PayPal, but haven't heard from you yet. Please let me know when you send them.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 AM

I will send them out as soon as I get back to L.A. I will send you a tracking number.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Angry Ahahahahah

OK, now i am pissed... i have now created a new circuit. Light Still on!

ok. now if i plug in the pre-tensioner + the srs module it is not shorted to ground.
But if i plug in the Instrument pack with aforementioned modules its shorted to ground.

I think i have a bad instrument pack and i think i wanna scream, because now if i go to the dealer to have them replace the instrument pack. They are going to throw a fit because of the new wiring.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

no we wouldnt(shouldnt) if you laid the wire in and soldered. We do it so an entire harness doesnt have to be replaced. They may not even notice, I meen I dont look for that kinda stuff unless it sticks out like a sore thumb

Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Question strange

ok, well after driving her for a bit, i turned my lights on, and a light came on on the dash i had never seen before.. it looks like to car head light singles in the opposite direction. i looked it up in the owners manual and its a head light indicator... never seen that before.. i am thinking even more now that i have a bad instrument cluster.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

maja, you ever figure out your ABS/traction control message? If not, clean your ABS sensors first on all wheels, mine and many others had accumulated brake dust on them and after a good cleaning, the message never returned. Just a thought..and costs you only some time and detergent.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2000black XKR SRS fault

I thought I posted about this before, perhaps in another thread or another forum. Here's what I found that is relevant to your problem:

1998 XJ8 (yeah, I know, but it's close to identical for this topic)
No SRS warning light illumination at ANY time, even during self-test at startup.
Warning tones sound repeatedly (system disabled).

I scanned the car with WDS, this is one of my cars and it was a couple of months ago, so I don't recall the code results. I can pull them if it will help, but I still don't know if your AE scan is valid for comparison.

One of the codes was an airbag warning light open circuit malfunction. Now that I think about it, I'm sure I wrote this in response to you before...I thought it was a bulb, you said LED.

The other was a code for the cassette reel. I was going to replace it when I pulled the instument pack, but I didn't spend the time. I just swapped out the instrument pack, it didn't look like going in deep to find the LED was worth the experiment, and I had another unit to install.

The SRS warning light now comes on. Goes out after about five seconds and stays out. No warning tones. So I've put some miles on the car now, and no other fault is indicated. At this point, I assume the second code was a red herring.

Fixing stuff by accident works for me, so long as it stays fixed. The faulty instrument pack was causing more than one symptom. Sound familiar?

Andrew Bernstein
British Auto Care

Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM

The shop thinks that my ABS module is bad. I sent it out to be rebuilt last week and I should be getting it back in a couple of days. The shop also gave me a paper they printed from all data that has instructions on clearing the airbag manually. They said they would get everything squared away as soon as I got the module back. I will keep you posted.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok, I wasn't following your thread, you sound like you have people getting you sorted out. That was posted for the other guy's benefit.

What kind of music are you involved with?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Default Airbag Warning Light

Did you ever get this fixed? I have a 2000 XJR and the warning light came on and stayed on a few times, then it decided to go off and stay off for a few days, then came back on and has stayed on for a few months now. I went to an independent shop here in LA and the checked the codes and said nothing came up for the airbag light. They also told me they took off what they called the "tensioner" and cleaned the connections on the steering wheel. According to the shop, the light was off and staying off, but when I went to pick up the car, I fired it up and...BAM, there's the warning light, shining as brightly as ever!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is really annoying - just when some good alternatives were being explored, the thread stops!! Anyone know how these SRS system problems were ultimately resolved. Seems that the system is much more complicated than I thought (I have a similar issue with my 1997 XK8) - anywhere I can get a definitive list of all the possible things it could be (ie. what circuits make up the SRS module inputs that could produce the fault - light stays ON).

Old 04-16-2015, 02:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum gareth676,

This thread is almost six years old and there have been many later discussions on the topic since then.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

I am into a similar problem right now, so will tell you where I have gotten, hopefully it will help. I purchased my 2004 XK8 last November 31 and after a test drive and a good look purchased it and immediately parked it in the garage for our Canadian Winter. On the test drive there where no warning lights however after about 15 minutes a chime sound started went off a few times and then stopped, to repeat the process a few times. The gas tank was on empty so not knowing I stopped put some fuel in it and returned to the car lot in about 5 minutes , no chiming so figured I had solved it with the fill up. I drove the car home and the chime started again. After some research on this forum I determined it was related to the Air Bag system. The chiming code meant that the warning bulb was burned out in the cluster. I removed the passengers side dash to get at the SRS warning light and found the bulb was there but had been pulled out of its socket. Starting to get suspicious. I pushed the bulb in and it stayed on. I called the lot I bought the car from and discovered that in Ontario Canada the SRS system is not part of a Safety check. Anyway, I did buy this car for something to do. I pulled the instrument cluster and the Airbag warning light had been removed. While the cluster was out I replaced all of the bulbs.
I got the car out for the first time about 2 weeks ago and the Air Bag light started flashing 2 - 2 with a break then 2-2 it then stayed on solid. The flashing code indicated trouble in the drivers seat. I took out the seat and found that all of the connectors where unclipped and had obvioulsy been tampered with. After spraying contact cleaner on the connectors and plugging and unplugging then several times I clipped all of the wiring up properly and reinstalled the seat. The Air Bag light is now only on about half of the times I drive the car so I seem to be on the right track. From the forum I have found that there are connections in the back rest that may also have a connection problem so I will go after those this weekend. Fingers crossed!

The following users liked this post:
gareth676 (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Default Air Bag Light issues cont.

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum gareth676,

This thread is almost six years old and there have been many later discussions on the topic since then.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
My car - 1997 XK8 4.0 Convertible - Location Vermont, USA

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply - not actually a new member but well lapsed now, so had to re-register. Sorry about the previous comment - borne out of frustration - chose the thread because it had a high number of replies - followed it carefully writing down info as it occurred to members - then STOP!

Will continue searching

Help would still be appreciated if anyone knows of good threads on this issue that covers all (or even some more) of the causes of this fault.

In my case - my SRS light comes on when ignition turned on (no blinks) - stays lit. Just came on late October a week before car put away for Winter. Seems that the seats may be a significant location for faults?

Gareth (Ex Pat living in VT, USA)

Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Gareth,

On the early XK8 (pre 2003 when the considerably more complex SRS was introduced) you have an Airbag Module and not an SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) Module.

The airbag warning is likely to be caused by a faulty Hall Effect Sensor in the seatbelt buckle or the harness connections to the buckle. The Hall Effect Sensor detects insertion of the belt. As far as I recall, driver and passenger buckles are the same so you could swap them over to check/eliminate this.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
gareth676 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Hi Graham
Thanks for your input - have now got my new scanner and have scanned the airbag system multiple error codes - mainly related to the both seats - going to clear the codes and see what happens over a few driving cycles - then will report back. Looks like I'm going to have to take the seats out. No mention made any seat belt codes.

Thanks again

Old 06-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Daro

It would seem that you have done business with a very unethical dealership.

By removing the bulb and disconnecting the plugs for the air bags on the passenger seat they have actually put any passengers lives in danger, and left you with the liability.

May I suggest you publish here the name of the dealership so all potential buyer know to stay away from them.

I do not know if dealerships in Canada are licensed or under any government supervision, I would report the matter to the authorities.

I hope you can resolve the issues. Enjoy the car.