XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic_186
I'm hoping someone can help me. My old mirror melted, and I got a replacement off of eBay. My old mirror has the yellow connector with lots of wires, and the new mirror has the blue connector with only 3 wires (black, brown, and a light brown/tan colored wire). Which of those wires connect to what wires on the yellow connector inside the overhead panel? I want to cut and splice into the old existing yellow connector.
You're going to lose some functionality if you go that way even if you can figure which wires go where. Each additional set of wires allows the mirror to do more things besides just the auto dimming of bright lights to the rear. Are you sure you want to go that way as Sybesmas can repair your old mirror for about $95.00?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
You're going to lose some functionality if you go that way even if you can figure which wires go where. Each additional set of wires allows the mirror to do more things besides just the auto dimming of bright lights to the rear. Are you sure you want to go that way as Sybesmas can repair your old mirror for about $95.00?
Rubbish!! The difference between the two mirrors is only the connections, the later type (white) had another sensor which uses the Red Purple and blue wires. The white connector version uses another six position white connector to connect to the circuit board in the mirror. The positions are White 1, Black 2, Grey 3, Yelow 4, Green 5 six has no wire. If you disassemble your old mirror (it just pulls apart) you should find the corresponding white connector to give you the right ones to splice. I just broke both my duff mirror and a later (broken connector to the windscreen fitting) apart and swapped the mirror glass. Seems to work fine in my 98 XKR.

Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  64.9 KB

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (04-05-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by P700Dee
Rubbish!!

So it's your position that by replacing a multi-wire & multi-function mirror with a replacement mirror that has fewer wires and fewer functions that would lead to a loss of functionality as a result is somehow....RUBBISH?

What planet exactly would that comment make any kind of rational sense?

I did not say he couldn't make it work. What I said is that he would lose functionality and that perhaps he might want to consider getting his old mirror repaired by Sybesmas.

Last edited by JimC64; 04-07-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: comments edited
Old 04-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 107 Likes on 39 Posts
Default mirror done, windscreen OK whew

Hey Everyone,
Thanks to or_blk_xkr for the writeup and everyone else who posted. I was nervous to try this but here is how it went.
I got a donnelly mirror on ebay for $90 CDN landed at my door.
It has three wire, white, grey and black in order pin 1-3 of six and it had a three pin connector.
I wrote down the order and just swapped the connectors by popping the pins.
The overhead console pulled straight down and unplugged easily.
Now for the mirror.
I lubed the mirror mount with some moovit and with a gentle tug straight down it popped off and I almost smashed it into the dash because I was expecting a hard pull. I was actually test pulling it and it surprised me.
Windscreen is OK whew!
The new one took a little more effort to get it to "click" into place but not much.
The overhead console went back in easier by seating the single rear clip first and then thumb pushing the other to clips till they "clicked" into place.
I would not have been so successful without the forum. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My position is that I bought this replacement mirror off of eBay, and it did not specify that it was of different wiring configuration and made no mention of whether it had a rain sensor capability or not. Therefore I am otherwise out $100 if I don't try to wire this thing up. Thank you to all who posted with assistance. I will see if I can get it wired up and will report back.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM

I have the three pin original mirror and the one I bought has three pins as well. There seem to be a variety of colors but you should be able to transfer pin for pin on connector. Don't cut and splice pop the pins with a micro screwdriver (for glasses repair)
Here is what I have found.
Pin 1 is ignition 12v feed
Pin 2 is ground
Pin 3 is backup switch to turn off autodim when shifted into reverse
Mirror has power whenever ignition is on and autodim is as stated, automatic
You can test the pins with a voltmeter, I did
check this link:
Everything you ever wanted to know about auto dimming rear view mirrors
I hooked my up this way and it works
Hope this helps

Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 PM

I can't get the automatic headlight function to work right. Any idea what wire is supposed to be wired to what?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Wiring diagrams are here:
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Hopefully they're of some help

Old 04-16-2015, 07:45 PM

Medic_186
please provide more details
what position is your headlight switch in
is it daytime or nighttime?
did you turn the headlights on and confirm you have highbeams?
what did you change?
or explain it in your own words
will help if I can

Old 04-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Skooba Kowboy
Medic_186
please provide more details
what position is your headlight switch in
is it daytime or nighttime?
did you turn the headlights on and confirm you have highbeams?
what did you change?
or explain it in your own words
will help if I can
I have high beams, low beams, and parking lights. What I do not have is the AUTO function on the headlight control stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. I am trying to connect a 3 wire mirror to the 6 pin connector, and I don't know what to wire together. I don't really understand these wiring diagrams.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Default lighting stock

Attached is a pic of my lighting stock.
This is how I understand it. The headlights are always on for daytime running lights. At night the sensor turns on tail lights and marker lights etc. Headlight stock switched to on gives you full dash lights and highbeams. I sent you a PM with my ph# so I can help you better.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Default retraction/correction

Hey all,
Minor error in the pinouts for the mirror.
I originally stated the following:
Pin 2 is ground
Pin 3 is backup switch to turn off autodim when shifted into reverse
Pin 2 and 3 are listed in reverse
Here is the correct order
Pin 2 for reverse gear switching
Pin 3 is ground

Sorry for the error

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-jag-rear-view-mirror-wiring-diagram.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
attaboy (05-02-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 04:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the excellent and detailed information. A rear view mirror can be so complicated and I am in Australia so sending it off not so easy and wish i just had a standard rear view mirror .Also have rain sensor which I like .Do any members have a simple solution one did mention drilling to remove fluid are there any other ideas .
2000 XJ8

Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 PM

Nigel,
First off, simply owning a Jag implies that you are complicated, sophisticated and daring.
I was shocked to see you imply that you are looking for a "simple solution".
Having said that, I agree that wiring is intimidating at the very least.
I would encourage you to bench test your replacement mirror should you decide get one with a battery and some open wires. If you are not concerned about the rain sensor and just want a dimming mirror the simplest solution is to connect two wires. The 12V ignition wire and the ground. The mirror will not turn off when you shift into reverse but you could always look out the back window eh. Do what makes you comfortable of course but remember one important thing. All it costs is money right?
I bought mine on ebay for 70 bucks US. Hope whatever you do goes well!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Skooba Kowboy
Nigel, The mirror will not turn off when you shift into reverse but you could always look out the back window eh.

I'm fairly sure that little trick was deleted from about 99 on - remember seeing it somewhere in the wiring diagrams when researching the Acura mirror replacement.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:02 PM

Hi Kowboy and Bartoute
Thanks for your advice not worried about dimming mirror and a secondhand good one is not likely .Someone told me a earlier XJ40 one will slide in to the windscreen fitting if that is so may try this as I worry about the mirror leaking and ruining the console. My dad also told me to always look out the back window when reversing .Know the wiring now will continue to think about what to do just want to avoid leakage of the oil but no sign at the moment .
Nigel Adelaide

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Hi Kowboy
Simple solutions .Have changed back from Rolls to Jag and have just bought this XJ8 and my problems are all simple so far perhaps just lucky.One the coolant coming out overflow fixed by crossing over leads to expansion tank poor owner had not driven much for 2 years because of this .Restrictive performance fixed by cleaning the LH cam cover PCV valve and fitting new o rings .Remotes cleaned with Meths work perfectly all from information i gained on this great Forum .
Nigel

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM

OK Nigel ya got me there. Good on ya.
My rad blew today so there ya go. The never ending maintenance routine continues on.
All the best

Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any one know who made the auto dimming door mirrors and weather or not they can be repaired using the gel pack rather then the fluid?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 AM

Hi All
Removed my mirror easily soaking in WD40 was the solution and followed above instructions. The oil is running around in the glass .I have sensors for rain and lights and just like K.Westra has in his photo. For me in Oz it is 175 USD to send it off to be done and can get a plain mirror from 96/7 X300 that fit or second hand one. Have heard of someone drilling a hole and drain the toxic oil out as don't worry about a dipping mirror as being old I rarely drive at night but sensors are nice but only toys .Looking at mirror on the bench there seems should be a solution to remove oil .Would be happy for any advice as if i get a second hand one you dont know if it has gel and can go again if not .
Nigel
99 XJ8

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement